Login |  Register |  FAQ

Hired Gun - Trader

Post subject: Hired Gun - Trader
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:07 am 
Recruit
Recruit

Hey, this is my first time attempting some rules so id be interested to know what you guys think:

The trader is an adept barterer and persuader, working in the outposts for many years he has become a 'friend' some might say to the guilders and as such is able to get his hands on items others may not.

A trader is considered a hired gun with an initial recruitment cost of 22 credits. When he is hired 2 advancement rolls may be taken to see which skills he/she come with (table below).

Stats:
M 4 - WS 2 - BS 3 - S 3 - T 3 - W 1 - I 3 - A 1 - L 7

Equipment:
Las Pistol x2
Knuckle duster (Club)

Traders can be bought other weapons - hand to hand, pistols and basic.

STANDARD SKILLS
Expert Seller- When a gang sells at item to the trading post, if a trader is within their gang then the sold price of that item is increased by 10%
Expert Buyer- When a gang buys at item from the trading post, if a trader is within their gang then the bought price of that item is decreased by 10% (cannot be used at the beginning of a campaign)

ROLLABLE SKILLS
1. Taking Stock For every enemy taken OOA by any member of the traders gang, 10% of that units cost is added in credits at the end of the game.

2. Familiar Faces The Trader knows who to speak to for the right item at the right price, a further 5% (15%) is deducted when buying from the rare trade table.

3. Deal Of A Lifetime After each game roll a dice. On the roll of a 6 you receive a free lasgun.

4. Gunfighter Can shoot both pistols in one turn (from rulebook)

5. Know The Market When rolling on the rare trade table the trader is able to add/subtract 1 to the units roll.

6. Estate Agent A trader knows all the hotspots in the hive, if a player chooses they can delete a territory from their list and buy any from the rulebook at the original price x5.

I like the idea of this guy having a big coat with lots of objects in it...

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:45 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

I definitely like the idea and think he has some nice rules that go along with the character. Definitely a nice job there. A few questions though:

How much would he add to gang rating? It seems like most hired guns are 5x their cost, so would he add 110 to the gang rating?

Also, how is the cost of territories figured when using the Estate Agent ability? When you say the player can buy any territory at the original price x5, what original price is used?

I think the Taking Stock skill may be a little bit too strong, especially if you end up wiping the floor with the enemy. If you take a typical leader with chainsword and boltgun, a heavy with a heavy stubber and backup autogun, and another heavy with flamer and backup autogun OOA, then you'd get:
(120 + 25 + 35) / 10 + (60 + 120 + 20) / 10 + (60 + 45 + 20) / 10 = 50.5 credits back. That's quite a bit. Does that get washed through the income table or does it go straight into the stash. If the former, it could be balanced, but may need work (5% may be a good compromise), but if the latter, I feel it is definitely unbalanced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:02 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Thanks for the feedback!

The estate agency rule would be the original income of a territory (didnt explain that too well). So for example a slag is/has an income of 20 credits. If a player wanted to buy this they would pay 20 (cost) x 5 = 100 credits. I think its worth noting that a player does not HAVE to buy the territory if it has a variable cost (2d6 x10 for example) and is not the price they want it at, it is after all buying estate.

The taking stock idea is a good one - It defiantly goes through the income table as apposed to being straight to the stash. In your example coming out with 50 extra creds that goes through your gang will leave you with around (very roughly) 10 credits? Which isnt really that much.

I guess its all small amounts of credits that add up with this guy, perhaps his purchase cost should be slightly higher.

Also is 110 gang rating enough? He isnt much of a fighter, but thats kinda the point of this guy is to be an interesting addition as apposed to canon fodder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:40 pm 
Cadet
Cadet

Just my input:

I really can't get the "taking stock" ability to sound right in my head.

Where exactly does this money come from? There's a hefty chance that these OOA enemies will survive and their equipment will still be intact so it isn't slaving or stealing.

If it was an ability to steal from enemies I'd understand (and it'd be a nice pun) but this magic money for nothing is rather odd to me.

Deal of a Lifetime: This sounds like a rare trade ability to me rather that a 16% chance of a lasgun.

I'd personally change this to: if the Trader is not taken OOA get one extra rare trade roll - and pay only the fixed cost for the rolled item.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:51 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

perhaps then it should state that you only take stock if the die post battle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:57 am 
Cadet
Cadet

Also the guild might have something to say about an independant trader operating on their truf either make him a guilder (albeit a very low ranking one) or an outlaw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:06 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

@Askil

Quote:
The trader is an adept barterer and persuader, working in the outposts for many years he has become a 'friend' some might say to the guilders and as such is able to get his hands on items others may not.

This is probably enough to get away with it. Even the most strict organizations have a certain amount of this, even if frowned upon, and with most groups this is considered standard. They aren't entirely independent, they are "connected" to use mafia parlance, but not a part of the guild proper. Somebodies cousin, or somebody who did somebody a big favor, someone who married someone of close relation etc, often gain this sort of half-acceptance status.

This shows up literally everywhere there is a power grouping, I see no reason why the guild would be an exception. Modern militaries, religious organizations, police apparatus, crime syndicates, and especially governments all have sycophants and illegitimate partial "members" for lack of a better term. Their activities may be ignored or even assisted, as payment for something or in deference to some status.

Generally this sort of status comes with limitations, these are still outsiders looking in, they have neither the rights nor status of the official members, but still wield a certain amount of power, allowing them to do things that complete outsiders would never get away with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:30 am 
Recruit
Recruit

Thanks for all the feedback!

Ive been thinking a little about the 'Taking Stock' Rule and im thinking of replacing it with this.

1. Feed the men Per battle roll a d6, on the roll of a 5+ the trader is able to get hold of supplies on the cheap. This means that when the gang is working out its income they are considered to be one bracket size lower. So for example a gang of 13-15 would now receive income as if its between 10-12.

Also deal of a lifetime to change to:

3. Weapons Sale Roll a d6. On the roll of a 6 the trader locates a seller who wants to get rid of items quickly for reasons unknown. Roll another d6, the player can buy this item for 1/4 of the price.

1- Lasgun
2- Autogun
3- Boltgun
4- Shotgun (solid/scatter)
5- Bolt Pistol
6- Plasma Pistol

I do see this guy as more of a middleman - he knows guilders and gangs alike, aligned to neither except what will help him make his fortune.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:38 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

I really like the new changes quite a bit. I think they fit the character very well and aren't overpowered. Well done!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:55 am 
The Threadomancer

Yep I like the idea a lot. The revised skills are far more characterful IMO. I'm not that happy about it as I have to look for a suitable model now!
:(

My Blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:04 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

This guy is definatly the model!

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... od1190044a

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:19 am 
Recruit
Recruit

Just wanted to update this post:

A trader is considered a hired gun with an initial recruitment cost of 22 credits. When he is hired 2 advancement rolls may be taken to see which skills he/she come with (table below). When a player recruits a trader he adds 110 to the gangs rating.

Stats:
M 4 - WS 2 - BS 3 - S 3 - T 3 - W 1 - I 3 - A 1 - L 7

Equipment:
Las Pistol x2
Knuckle duster (Club)

Traders can be bought other weapons - hand to hand, pistols and basic.

STANDARD SKILLS
Expert Seller- When a gang sells at item to the trading post, if a trader is within their gang then the sold price of that item is increased by 10%
Expert Buyer- When a gang buys at item from the trading post, if a trader is within their gang then the bought price of that item is decreased by 10% (cannot be used at the beginning of a campaign)

ROLLABLE SKILLS
1. Feed The Men Per battle roll a d6, on the roll of a 5+ the trader is able to get hold of supplies on the cheap. This means that when the gang is working out its income they are considered to be one bracket size lower. So for example a gang of 13-15 would now receive income as if its between 10-12.

2. Familiar Faces The Trader knows who to speak to for the right item at the right price, a further 5% (15%) is deducted when buying from the rare trade table.

3. Weapons Sale Roll a d6. On the roll of a 6 the trader locates a seller who wants to get rid of items quickly for reasons unknown. Roll another d6, the player can buy this item for 1/4 of the price.

1- Lasgun
2- Autogun
3- Boltgun
4- Shotgun (solid/scatter)
5- Bolt Pistol
6- Plasma Pistol

4. Gunfighter Can shoot both pistols in one turn (from rulebook)

5. Know The Market When rolling on the rare trade table the trader is able to add/subtract 1 to the units roll.

6. Estate Agent A trader knows all the hotspots in the hive, if a player chooses they can delete a territory from their list and buy any from the rulebook at the original price x5. If the territory has a variable cost then the player must still roll and times it by 5 (plus the original cost). They do not have to purchase the territory if they dont want to.

Thanks guys

Post subject: Re: Hired Gun - Trader
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:00 am 
Cadet
Cadet

Not to sound overly petty but wouldn't the two standard skills be better combined into

"Expert Trader"
Due to years of experience haggling, treatening, backroom dealing and blackmail. The trader is always able to get his clients the best deal.

Reduces all purchasing costs by 10% at the trading post. (Not from the house weapons list.)
Increses all profits from selling by 10% at the trading post.