Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Weapons Brainstorming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:28 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

Here is my idea to the bow concept. at scale a skilled shooter with a bow is able to shoot a bow up to 40 yards accurately . that is about half a city block or 20 inches.

so here we go

Master Crafted Bow

rare weapon
range to hit
shrt long shrt long str. dmg sv mod ammo
0-10" 10-20" +2 +1 user+1 1 -1 3+
(these stats are for standard arrows)

Ammo (arrows) Common - but expensive
Standard Tip Arrows
0-10" 10-20" +1 +1 user+1 1 -1 3+

High Explosive arrows
0-8" 8-18" +1 0 5 1 -3 6+

Poison Tip Arrows
0-10" 10-20" +1 +1 user+1 1 -1 6+

Master Crafted Arrows
0-15" 15-30" +2 +1 user+2 1 -2 6+

Bow
common weapon
range to hit
0-8" 8-18" +1 0 user 1 0 3+
(standerd tip arrows)

Poison Tip Arrows
0-8" 8-18" +1 0 user+1 1 -3 6+

Poison Arrows automatically cause 1 wound just as if a model was hit by a needle weapon. No wounding roll is required. Amour saves may still be implemented as usual to deflect the arrow.

Injuries A target suffering his final wound from a poison arrow does not roll on the standard Injury chart. Instead, roll on the chart below both when the injury is inflicted and in subsequent recovery phases. Roll a D6.

1-2 Little Effect - the poison from the arrow barely affects the target, from either a graze of the arrow or just the true grit of the targets killer instinct to push on. Because the poison is just to potent to be ignored by any fighter; the target takes a penalty of -1 movement and -1 strength for the rest of the game.
3-4 Suprising Effect - after being hit from the arrow the target quickly moves up to his full speed (move or run) and falls out from the effects of the poison (this is only if the model is not down already). The model can now move 2" but do nothing else. This is the same as a normal "down" result.
5 Paralysed - The model is completley impared of his mobility and is knocked to the ground, the target can not move at all.
6 Out of Action - The target drops straight to his knees and falls over. He may be dead or he may be barely alive in some sense. He is to overcome by the leathal poison and is out for the rest of the game. Remove the model from play.

Weapon Equipment

Bows can be equiped with the following
-red-dot laser sight

"X" be the name.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:16 am 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

Bows should not no way never be better than rifles/pistols, even if they're rare and/or expensive. thats just peverse.

This weapon would work for a special campaign character (would would basically be the green arrow) but not as a rare weapon for normal gangers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:31 am 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

well, im not sure bows are needed at all in necro but whatever floats your boat.
i also agree that they shouldnt be better than rifle.

i dont really see the reasoning behind the huge to hit bonuses on a weapon that only shoots 1 projectile.

that being said, i would give a model being shot at by any form of bow a 6+ dodge save, just like 'spot the dot', due to the slow moving projectile.

out of interest, where you get that a bows range is 40yards? you mean a short hand bow?
cos larger bows have ranges of up to 180metres, or 200yards. for you americans (seriously, get with the times)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:15 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

an archer can shoot a bow acurratley at a high volecity up to 40 yards. but this a bow that would be at low standards compared to something 40000 thousand years from now. I will think about giving a dodge bonus to my bows. Why shouldnt something so primative be in such a primative area?

i like bows though =] was a semi pro for 10 years. You have to understand my facination with assination with a bow, just would be freakin awsome! :evil: (to me that is)

"X" be the name.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:57 pm 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

oh no doubt, bows are cool. but in necro? where there is no wood? i dont know.
of coure they can be made of fiber glass and other materials.

its a bit too primitive for 40k setting IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:08 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

lol i dont know many low quality bows that are made of wood now. most bows are made of steel or aluminum composite risers, which is the skeletol structure of the bow itself. So you could imagine a bow made of metal and other things in the 41st. limbs, which are the flex in the bow, are made of carbon fiber or a carbon based material with aluminum cams and a pully system to give it an extra punch from a more compact bow.

in a normal human society of the 41st, i can see these floating around. and when you dont have anything else. Why not?

"X" be the name.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:19 pm 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

While it is the wrong type of bow, there's a fantastic example in Half-Life 2 of a crossbow made of found materials - it's exactly what you'd expect to see in such a setting where highly-crafted purpose-made weapons are extremely rare and coveted, and people must come up with their own solutions.

You could also consider it like a MacGyverism: "I made this bow out of a meter's worth of hi-tensile cable, a short length of pipe, a leaf-spring from a car, and a few low-power las-blasts to weld it together. For arrows I've got rebar!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:14 am 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

regardless of what they're made of, bows can't outshoot automatic firearms.

I've said it before, but if you absolutly must use bows use the handbow stats+ cost. And even that statline is generous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:20 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I have to agree with the others. The stats as outlined above for a bow make it almost on par with automatic rifles. An assault rifle of today can shoot out to at least 300 yards. Given a comparison that would mean that Autoguns and Lasguns (at the very least) should have a range of 150" based off of the scale and justification given for the bow.

To bring it to an equal scale then, the bow should have a range of 2"... obvious that would not work.

I think the bow should have a max range (if one could actually find such a device) of about 12" - IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:42 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

I guess the bottom line is, that i really like the idea of a bow and would like to have it in my game, and further more wanted to share with you guys what i came up with. You dont have to use it but its nice to have something to look at...

I feel like i affended you guys :-o

"X" be the name.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:09 pm 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Meh. Don't feel like that. You have a different vision of Necromunda than a lot of the posters here, but that doesn't mean you're wrong.

I happen to agree with you that a bow would come up as a viable weapon on Necro. I also happen to disagree with the viable range of the bow compared to the guns depicted in the rules for Necro, but good lord if that topic ain't wide open for discussion and interpretation - my advice is to playtest and see how the bow works in the game.

If it seems solid, great. If not, tweak it until it is balanced! Good luck, X.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:35 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

Here is a little tweaking

Hunters Bow - Common - Cost 10+D6

common weapon
range to hit

Standard tip Arrows - Common - Cost 0
0-6" 6-16" +1 0 user-2 1 0 3+

Poison Tip Arrows
0-8" 8-18" +1 0 user-1 1 0 6+

Imperial Master Crafted Bow - Cost 20 + 3D6

rare weapon
range to hit

Standard tip Arrows - Common - Cost 0
0-8" 8-18" +1 0 user-1 1 0 3+

High Explosive arrows - Rare - Cost 15+2D6
0-8" 8-18" +1 0 5 1 -2 6+

Poison Tip Arrows - Rare - Cost 15+D6
0-10" 10-20" +1 +1 user 1 0 6+

Master Crafted Arrows - Rare - Cost 20+2D6
0-12" 12-24" +2 +1 user+1 1 -1 6+

Spot the Arrow (+ spot the dot) -

When encountered with a senario that is a direct fire fight and does not call for a sneaky nature, an opposing target when facing the shooting model (as per the 90 deg arc rule) will get a 6+ dodge on a D6 roll. The same as if a weapon using a red-dot laser sight. When using a red-dot laser sight along with a bow, it becomes a 5+ roll on a D6.

ALSO WOULD A BOW BE CONSIDERED A TWO OR ONE HANDED WEAPON?
As per close combat and lugging it arround? I think it would be a one handed weapon, its not that heavy and can easily be slung onto your back?

Just so you guys know i am on at all times of the night here in the US I work at night. from about 11pm eastern time US to 5am. just sitting here taking in necro learning as i call it lol

"X" be the name.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:51 pm 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

My recommendation is as follows: the bow should be considered a basic weapon. While it is lightweight, easy to carry, etc. it requires more effort to fire properly, and therefore should carry a bit of a penalty.

The bow should probably not be a valid HtH weapon, either. Aside from some of Legolas's scenes in LotR, there's no way a composite/long bow could be used in close combat. So, considering the bow to be a basic weapon would prevent HtH abuse, but if you wanted to allow it as a one-handed weapon, you'd need to eliminate it as a HtH option.

Otherwise you'd have gangers running about with 2 bows in HtH, and that is preposterous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:19 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

agreed on what you are saying there. I just dont want to take away from the fact that someone could carry a bow and two swords if they wanted. it could be a basic weapon that doesnt need two hands to carry but has no hth value what so ever.?????

"X" be the name.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:15 am 
Private
Private

I would also posit that it's easier to sling a rifle on your back than a bow, and you still can't do that - so my vote is two-handed Basic weapon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next