Login |  Register |  FAQ

New Scenario 1:Its a Trap!

Post subject: New Scenario 1:Its a Trap!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:53 am 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

So, I've been working on some new scenarios. Most of the scenarios I've made in the past were for arbi' games, for quite specific story based fights, so here's my first crack at making a scenario that can be played straight out of the box (as it were)

New Scenario: “It’s a Trap!”
Overview: A variant on Scavengers, replacing the Monster roll with trap counters. Two gangs scavenging for Loot discover the previous owners have left some extra insurance…

Terrain- Each player takes it in turn to place a piece of terrain, either a building structure, connecting walkway or other piece of scenery. It is suggested you use a playing area of approx. 4’x 4’
When all the terrain is placed the players take it in turn to place D6+3 loot counters anywhere on the table, but at least 8” from any table edge, and at least 4” from any other loot counter. The players then place the same number of trap counters, again, anywhere on the table, but at least 8” from any edge and at least 4” from any other trap counter.

Gangs- Each player rolls a D6, the player with the lowest score places his gang within 8” of the table edge of their choice. Their opponent then places his gang within 8” of the opposite table edge

Starting the Game- Each player rolls a D6. The player with the highest score takes the first turn

Loot Counters- Loot counters may be picked up by any model that passes over them in their Movement Phase (N.B. Compulsory moves do not count, Fighters that are on fire, fleeing or making a frenzied charge etc. do not pick up loot).
Loot counters do not affect a fighter’s ability to move, shoot or fight in Hand to Hand
Fighters going Out of Action drop all loot counters where they are. Remove the model but leave the counters. Counters may be transferred between friendly models in base to base contact during the shooting phase, but neither may shoot.
A fighter who takes an opponent Out of Action in Hand to Hand automatically captures any loot counters they were carrying

Trap Counters- These counters represent areas of booby traps left by the Loot’s previous owners, grenades on trip wires, man traps and various other nasty surprises. Whenever a model moves within 3” of a trap counter, they must pass an Initiative test or roll on the table below. Resolve trap effects as soon as they are triggered.

1 Frag- The model has been hit by a frag grenade, centre the template on the model.
2 Incendiary- The fighter has been hit by a hotshot shotgun round
3 Krak- The model has been hit by a Krak grenade
4 Lashworm- The model takes a S3 hit as described in the Bestiary
5 Flashbomb- The model has been hit by a Photon Flash Flare, centre the template on the model
6 Legbreaker- The model has stepped on spikes, a mantrap, or fallen in a deadfall. It suffers a S2 hit. Flesh wounds caused by a legbreaker inflict -1M instead of Ws+Bs

Note- A roll is made each time a fighter moves within a trapped area. A fighter who avoids being hit may continue moving and shooting etc. it’s a good idea for Downed fighters in a trapped area to stay still…
Any fighter equipped with a Bio scanner, Infra goggles, ‘tech viewer or similar may add 1 to their I stat whilst avoiding traps.

Ending the Game- The game ends when one player or the other Bottles out, or has all the loot in its possession. If a gang carries all the loot within 8” of its starting table edge at the start of its turn, the game ends and that gang wins. If one gang bottles out, it is assumed the victors pick up any remaining loot

Experience- +D6 Survives
+5 Per Wounding Hit
+1 Per Loot counter carried at the end of the game
+1 Per Trap dodged
+10 Winning Gang Leader

Special- Each Loot counter adds d6x5 credits to the gang’s income

Post subject: Re: New Scenario 1:Its a Trap!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:12 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Why not have double sided loot counters with either "actual loot!" and "trap!" marks underneath, meaning people won't go "oh, there's a trap, best avoid it" and instead have "what is that shiny thing? Ah cr-"?

It could be construed that the trap is on some loot, and in trying to get the loot the ganger sets the trap off instead of getting the loot successfully.

This would also stop unscrupulous players putting traps down regardless of loot counters to make chokepoints funnelling the other gang into a killing ground - I'm understanding the spirit of the scenario is that the traps are protecting the loot, so they should be on the loot rather than placed randomly imo.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:39 pm 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Agree with Ardavion.
Nice attempt for some more scenarios. I like that, even though I can't remember when last I played Necro... :-o

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:50 am 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

The reason I didn't use the Heist rules for keeping the nature of the counters secret from the players is that I mean to model some trap and loot counters at some point, but as a game mechanic, that works much more elegantly, damn good suggestion. That can go in version #2 "Is it a trap;" D6+3 each double sided Loot/Trap counters. That could be a challenging one to play.

I've already written another two variations of this scenario, "Harvest" (underhive fungus instead of traps, Stinger mould for the Loot) and "The Fortress" (set in abandoned mechanicus facility, with the traps replaced by autonomous sentry guns). The latter is a real meatgrinder, as not only is the terrain trying to kill you, players can't bottle out till they've taken 50% casualties :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:57 am 
The Threadomancer

Good new take on an old scenario. I like the sound of the Fortress scenario too. Gangers get it too easy! :D

My Blog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:32 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

I like the idea, but I think the surprise counters would make the game better. I think I might have to use that with surprise counters
Ardavion wrote:
Why not have double sided loot counters with either "actual loot!" and "trap!" marks underneath, meaning people won't go "oh, there's a trap, best avoid it" and instead have "what is that shiny thing? Ah cr-"?

It could be construed that the trap is on some loot, and in trying to get the loot the ganger sets the trap off instead of getting the loot successfully.

This would also stop unscrupulous players putting traps down regardless of loot counters to make chokepoints funnelling the other gang into a killing ground - I'm understanding the spirit of the scenario is that the traps are protecting the loot, so they should be on the loot rather than placed randomly imo.
for a league I am working on.