Login |  Register |  FAQ

Not enough close combat in Necromunda?

Post subject: Not enough close combat in Necromunda?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:53 am 
Private
Private

Has anyone else played a campaign where they rarely, if ever, get into hand-to-hand combat? It's virtually disappeared from our games so this post is about why that could be. Even getting into short range is rare. I'd like to restore some balance and variety to the game - after all half the equipment in the game and a whole set of skills are dedicated to it. Gangs such as Goliaths and Ratskins can't compete.

Possible reasons;
1. IMO shooting is overpowered in Necromunda. Heavy weapons and plasma guns will obliterate anything in range and the risks involved with such weapons (e.g.. ammo rolls) are easily circumvented.
I also think the maximum BS should be 4, not 6. The rest of my group says 5. In any case cover becomes pretty irrelevant. Also further stat rolls of BS would instead go to WS, making HTH a more attractive option.

2. Not enough armour. The armour in Necromunda is only a 4+ save at best and most weapons have a modifier.

In case you were wondering I play Delaques. It just seems such a shame to have a whole load of rules and gear that never get used. Plus gangers that get HTH stat increases get sidelined. It would be nice to get into HTH or even just pistol and grenade range occasionally.

What do you think? Have you had similar experiences? Any input appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Not enough close combat in Necromunda?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:14 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

More terrain can also make it easier to get into hand-to-hand. Lots of LOS-blocking terrain that you can still move through, like barricades and wall sections. Put any firing platforms in the middle of the board with lots of access ramps/ladders/stairs from all sides. Make certain there are no long fields of fire across the center of the board. A few very narrow ones are okay, but limiting them will keep your heavies from dominating.

As they said in Second Edition, "The more terrain, the better the game!"

Best of luck to you!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:27 am 
Private
Private

Good advice, thanks. And we're working on the big terrain!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:11 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

I had a ton of terrain on the table, and hand to hand was never an issue. It happened a lot because it was a lot more 'final' than shooting. If two people are shooting at each other, one might get knocked down, or they both might back off. If two people are in hand to hand, one of them is going out.

Also, we had a table thick with terrain that climbed into the skies.

Examples of the terrain on my old table: http://imgur.com/a/1R5fh (an imgur gallery, the images are too large to put directly in the thread)

Just make sure that every piece of terrain has multiple entrances and exits, with none being too bunker-like. If the terrain only has one way in and out, with a wide view, then you'll make the shooting problem even worse. If you make the terrain with many options for movement, with no part of it being incredibly defensive, then you'll have a lot of scenarios for movement and melee.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:37 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

I am going to pile in with the rest here and say increase the terrain as well. However if you are playing some of the gangs that are more HTH you also need to be smart about moving around the board. Since you are part of giving line of sight. If they cannot see you they cannot shoot you. Also if you have some stealth skills it really helps get into pistol and hth ranges. Also getting creative with terrain and get vertical with it. It is a lot harder to get los when the person is 3 or 4 levels up and is trying to find a target. Oh and great table Ravendas. I really like the work you have done.