Login |  Register |  FAQ

Van Saar Gang

Post subject: Van Saar Gang
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:19 am 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Hi there, my buddy and I usually play 2nd but have decided, to give Necromunda a try. He has chosen Delaque while I'm going for Van Saar (Cunning vs Tech as we see it). I'm thinking about buying a set from ebay which includes Leader with Chain Sword and Plasma Pistol, 4 Gangers with 2 Autoguns (one with a Pistol as well), 2 Heavies with a Stubber and a Heavy Plasma gun and 7 Juves (some Auto Pistol/Knife, others 2 Auto Pistol + Stub Gun).

Would a gang with the Leader, 2 Gangers (Shotgun and Lasgun), both heavies and 4 Juves (Pistol Knife) be viable? The heavy Plasma Gun eats so many points but it seems to fit Van Saar's theme.

He aims at Leader with Shotgun, man stopper and Chainsword, 2 Heavies with stubber + pistol backup, 4 gangers with autoguns and 3 Juves with Pistole/Knife, meaning he would have mmore reliable firepower.

Edit: An Option would be to use the Heavy Plasma Gun as a regular Plasma Gun to save points and increase the gang size and equipment options.

For once, his father did what Tyrion asked him. The proof was the sudden stench, as his bowels loosend in the moment of death. Well, he was in the right place for it, Tyrion thought. But the stink that filled the privy gave ample evidence, that the oft-repeated jape about his father was just another lie.
Lord Tywin Lannister did not, in the end, (&#$@!) gold.

Post subject: Re: Van Saar Gang
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:01 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

If the gang is just starting out, I would probably go Plasma Gun to begin with, and then later upgrade to Heavy Plasma. (Both of which are extreme overkill in Necromunda...which should make if frakking AWESOME!)

McCragge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:04 pm 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

I wouldn't have 4 juves and only 2 gangers. As soon as you start taking fire, the juves' poor Ld means they're more likely to run off. I would sooner use Juve models to represent gangers armed with HtH weapons (thats what's you'll probably end up doing when they've earned 20+ exp anyway). So 3 gangers, 3 juves to start.

Agree with McCragge on the Plasma gun. Every gang should have at least one high strength weapon (plasma gun, meltagun or krak grenades) for the scenario objectives in The Raid and Hit'n'run.

I know they cost more, but I'd try to give heavies with long range guns a back-up basic weapon instead of pistols. When your machine guns run out of ammo, the extra range of a las/autogun means they can get back in the game sooner.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:43 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I always take a minimum of 6 gangers. No one else can work your territories and at least one will go down in a game. It can be a squeeze to get that many gangers in and a heavy plasmagun but it can be done.

The HPG is an absolute beast when the shots land nicely. In my last campaign it secured me victory after victory and the high impact hits caused quite a few deaths for my opponent. If you are lucky enough to get some sights or BS upgrades it can become quite domineering late campaign.

I never worry about back up weapons at the beginning of a campaign, if they run out of ammo then oh well....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:38 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

In my gang, I never took Juves to start with, or a heavy for that matter. I pretty much had the gang in the Necro-box. 2 Lasguns, 2 Autoguns, 2 Shotguns, 2 Bolt Pistols, 2 Autopistols, 2 Stub Pistols and the Leader who had a plasma pistol and auto pistol backup.

The Lasguns and Autoguns would take high sniper positions, the Shotguns would stay at or near the bases of the sniper positions to keep would be assualters at bay, and the rest would charge forward and try to get into H2H.

Having that many gangers on the field can quickly overwhelm another gang. And you can afford a few losses along the way. (also if any died or had to be retired, I would replace them with juves)

McCragge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:29 pm 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Thanks for the input!

I have ordered my gang.

Right now I'm planning to start with:

Leader: Plasma Pistol/Chainsword, 170 Cr.
Heavy: Plasma Gun, 130 Cr.
Heavy: Heavy Stubber, 180 Cr.
Ganger: Shotgun, Man Stopper, 75 Cr.
Ganger: Lasgun, 75 Cr.
Ganger: Autogun, 70 Cr.
Ganger: Autogun, 70 Cr.
Juve: Autopistol, Knife, 40 Cr.

= 1000 Credits

What do you think?

For once, his father did what Tyrion asked him. The proof was the sudden stench, as his bowels loosend in the moment of death. Well, he was in the right place for it, Tyrion thought. But the stink that filled the privy gave ample evidence, that the oft-repeated jape about his father was just another lie.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:22 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Thats pretty brutal and should serve you well.

I assume the plan is to have the juves stand in front of the leader as he counter charges?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:55 am 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Yes, they are supposed to act as meatshields.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:36 am 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

Looks like a decent line up to me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:55 am 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Hi there, it seems, Gang is assembled and should be painted by summer I'm now thinking of 2 line ups:

Leader: Plasma Gun/Sword, 200 Cr.
Juve: Stub Gun, Knife, 35 Cr.

OR

Leader: Bolter/Sword, 165 Cr.
Juve: Stub Gun, Knife, 35 Cr.

I need to decide, what the Leader gets.

Standard Rules btw.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:34 pm 
The Threadomancer

I'd go for the first option. Although personally I'd lose a lasgun armed ganger for an extra juve, but that's just me. I normally play with Scavvys and goliaths so for me it's all about getting into combat. :)

My Blog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:31 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

chickenbane wrote:
I'd go for the first option. Although personally I'd lose a lasgun armed ganger for an extra juve, but that's just me. I normally play with Scavvys and goliaths so for me it's all about getting into combat. :)

I do not know they look pretty good to me. However I do know that Goliath and Scavvies are very different from Van Saar. Then again I am a Escher and Orlok player. I have a few other gangs as well as a Scavvy gang. Still I tend to lean on my Escher's. I have several ladies with lasguns and I use them to help pin down my opponent. I do usually like to start with 5 or more gangers though. The more the merrier since it is the gangers that work the territories.