Login |  Register |  FAQ

Battletech

Post subject: Battletech
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:58 am 
Iconoclast

someone mentioned this cool game in 40k section.

it was really popular in nineties in poland. we've got ourelves full blown polish edition: bettletech, aerotech, compendium and mechwarrior rpg.

everyone played it. i was in high school back then, and even non-geeks friends could easily spent whole night at the sheets.

mech design was cool, one of my favouritte aspects of the game. in teh final stages of the game we were fielding artillery, tanks, hoovers, copters, fighters and bombers. game took ages to play, but was definetly fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:32 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Does anyone know if the rules can be found anywhere online? I never played the game, but I've always wanted to look over the rules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:22 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

You guys played MechCommander 1? 2? What about Mechwarrior 4? Those computer games are quite entertaining. Course' the graphics for MC 1 is a bit old but I still enjoy it.

Some people hate it though. It does get to a point where its more like a puzzle game rather than some mech fighting game.

Anyone know if the rpg is any good?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:35 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Classic battletech is being rereleased but Im notnsure who by who. Of course there is the dreadfull mechwarrior game :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:18 pm 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

The BattleTech of yesteryear (the board game with the hex grid) is still alive and well in some places.

FASA Corp (which made BattleTech) worked with a company in Germany called Fantasy Productions to do some (all?) of their European language releases. When FASA dissolved, the new owners of the property (WizKids) licenced FanPro to continue making old-fashioned BattleTech products under then name Classic BattleTech. Here is the CBT web site:
http://www.classicbattletech.com/cbt_home.html

You can download a "quick" version of the game rules here:
http://www.classicbattletech.com/cbt_quickstart.html

I have tried WizKids' version of BT... the MechWarrior collectable miniatures game. I didn't like it and sold or gave away all my figures early on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:43 pm 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

kharille wrote:
Anyone know if the rpg is any good?
If memory serves, there have been a total of four different MechWarrior RPGs:

1st Edition used its own unique game mechanics that were evidently about half completed when the book went to print. The combat system was genuinely unplayable.

2nd Edition was based heavily on the game mechanics from Shadowrun and it played pretty close to how SR2 played. For some reason they combined Intelligence and Dexterity into one super stat (called Reflex?)that dominated all skill and combat checks. Bad idea.

I don't remember much about 3rd or 4th Edition except that 4th had a kooky lifepath system in which you made up what you wanted your character to be like and then rolled randomly for how he really turned out. Your character had very little chance of turning out the way you wanted, and most people I've talked to ignored or modified the lifepath system.

I think the later editions (any except 1st) were decent and playable. My gaming group many years ago liked one set of the rules (4th?) well enough that we made it the basis of our own RPG that we never finished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:24 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

I have very limited experience in playing Battletech, but from the few games I did play, it seemed to work best with either one mech per side or at most a Lance.

The detail seemed to slow the game down to almost unplayable speeds. In most cases you can't one shot a mech and move on.

And plus back then I was wanting to play games with huge armies sweeping over the battlefield.

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:11 pm 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

BattleTech and its ilk (Mekton, Mecha!, Robot Warriors, Heavy Gear, etc.) have detailed damage recording, so you can tell how the condition of the war machine degrades as it gets damaged. There's also a lot of detail in what each 'Mech can do each turn. So, yes, a battle between two Mechs' or two lances (a lance is 4 'Mechs) is fully as long and complex as a game of 40K.

Experienced players have all the major tables memorized and don't even look at the books during play (though handy cheatsheets are available). Even years after I quit playing, I can recite the front/rear Hit Location Table from memory. Once you have that stuff down, the game plays very quickly in spite of the level of detail involved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:21 pm 
Iconoclast

yeah, the actions on the table were spectacular...

you jump your light mech on the nearby hill, but somehow (unexperienced)pilot screws and you damage your legs, trip and collapse on the ground. now you must get up before that quick enemy mech gets you lying junk and kicks the (&#$@!) out of it.

my faourite weapon was ac20 autocannon.

i remember clearly how the temperature system worked. lakes and rivers were important game element, sort of coolants.

and machine gun ammo explosions? big bada boom.

pilot consciousness.

i remember kicking with my 100 tones mech some locust or similar lightweight mech. lol.

the biggest game i ever played was about 12 mech a side or so. it took place on a gamecon. that was three lances, yup.

edit: 13 hours or so of non stop gaming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:30 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Ah, Battletech... I have such fond memories of that game. Still like it.

My friends and I used to limit ourselves to the lowest tech level, Inner Sphere basic tech. Not as complicated, and a lot more enjoyable. Clan tech was just for power-freaks.

And I used to have a love-hate relationship with the AC20. I could almost never hit with the bastard, but almost invariably, when I did hit, it was in the target 'mech's head. Instant kill!

Still wouldn't mind playing again. I hear someone has made a 'net-capable computer front-end, so you can play friends remotely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:08 pm 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

Don't get me wrong, the detail in Battletech is great and can be very attractive if you are in that kind of mind set. At the time though I wanted to have huge armies rather then one to one type stuff.

However, a game with similiar detail I loved to play is Car Wars. But again that is a game meant for smaller skirmishs rather then huge armies.

I think though the best aspect of those types of games (Battletech, Car Wars etc...) is the creation of your vehicles/mech. The holy trinity that you have to work around to make the perfect combat vehicle for that particular scenario or what have you; Armour, Speed, and Weapon (in the case of battletech you have heat issues as well)

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:13 pm 
Iconoclast

yeah, the primitive stuff was better than the advanced technology. i was getting disoriented in all those variety and even more rules!

i remeber using aeromech quite often. they were capable of doing long jumps or transform into a jetfighter. very anime style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:01 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Heh-heh... :lol:

The aeromechs, or LAMs as they were known (Land-Air Mechs) were a direct ripoff from Macross/Robotech. As were the original models of a handful of the original Battletech mechs. Not the stats and loadout, just the models...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:56 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

The best way my local group of guys came up with for playing Battletech was a campaign where we added a points system that you could use to purchase skills from a skill table we created. Otherwise the only improvements you could make to your pilot was better piloting or gunnery skills (boring). The skills table we came up with was pretty simple and added the ability to customize your pilot.

Each skill required the previous level skill to be purchased before taking the next level of ability.

Edge 1 - Cost 3 Pts - Reroll any one of your dice rolls.
Edge 2 - Cost 6 Pts - Reroll any one of your opponents dice rolls.
Edge 3 - Cost 9 Pts - Reroll any one die roll.

Move 1 - Cost 3 Pts - Add +1 to your mechs running speed.
Move 2 - Cost 6 Pts - Add +1 to your mechs walking speed.
Move 3 - Cost 9 Pts - Add +1 to your mechs running speed.

Aim 1 - Cost 3 Pts - -1 to hit your opponent if standing
Aim 2 - Cost 6 Pts - -1 to hit your opponent if walking
Aim 3 - Cost 9 Pts - -1 to hit your opponent if running

I'm sure I still have it on excel somewhere but the table went on and on and there were some later skills that we added that required a certain skill level on 2 previous skills as a prerequisit like Move 2 and Aim 2 before you could purchase the skill.

We really got into a long campain the only down side of course was a persons pilot getting killed late in the campaign and with our group it seemed to keep happening to the same couple of guys.

All in all though a cool game I still have the mini's and the maps and will probably play it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:46 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

weasel fierce wrote:
Classic battletech is being rereleased but Im notnsure who by who.

Is there anyway to confrim this? Visions of the Old Rifleman and Warhammer Mechs danced through my head for a moment.