Login |  Register |  FAQ

Star Mogul

Post subject: Star Mogul
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:50 pm 
Cadet
Cadet

I came across this, and thought I'd share it. It looks quite interesting.

http://www.alphaforgegames.com/starmogul.html

Has anybody tried it, or read the rules?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:16 am 
Private
Private

It kinda looks like Necromunda. Ok, it looks alot like Necromunda. Instead of a gang you have a corporation. Neat. I wish they would
combine this game with a starship combat game like Battlestations does.

What's the fun of owning an instestellar company if you can't fly around and have space battles?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:05 am 
Cadet
Cadet

Yes it does look a lot like Necromunda. That's what i like about it.
But it looks like it's missing campaign rules. Stuff like injuries and advances. I might be wrong though.
Quote:
I wish they would combine this game with a starship combat game like Battlestations does.

What's the fun of owning an instestellar company if you can't fly around and have space battles?

Like Necromunda in Space? http://easternfringe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=476

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:57 am 
Cadet
Cadet

So, I bought the PDF version of the Rules. Both Star Mogul: Ruins of an Empire (core rules) and Distant Worlds (supplement).
And it looks very promising indeed. I hope I can convince some of my friends to join in, so we could play a few games. I may post a small review if can find the time to write it.

Looking forward to their new supplement, Alien Evolution, due for release this month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:54 am 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

asthenia wrote:
So, I bought the PDF version of the Rules. Both Star Mogul: Ruins of an Empire (core rules) and Distant Worlds (supplement).
And it looks very promising indeed. I hope I can convince some of my friends to join in, so we could play a few games. I may post a small review if can find the time to write it.

Looking forward to their new supplement, Alien Evolution, due for release this month.

So what can you tell us about the game? Why do you like it? Are the rules, that is the game mechanics really great? Or is it more that you like the setting or the writing or what?

I've previously seen the miniatures for this game before online. I think they have some nice miniatures, not all of them mind you, but a few are quite nice. As ever, I'm always happy to see a new game hit the market. I think that the hobby as a whole benefits from good competition.

Truckler

The game designers themselves know these values are not realistic and they do not intend them to replace or invalidate the fluff. So let's get on with our lives and not fixate over the cosmic ramifications of game mechanics which we already know are streamlined for larger forces at the expense of detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:36 am 
Cadet
Cadet

Quote:
So what can you tell us about the game? Why do you like it? Are the rules, that is the game mechanics really great? Or is it more that you like the setting or the writing or what?

This is the thing i like about the setting:
Quote:
The first wave of settlers and exploiters that mankind sent forth to the stars unwittingly unleashed an ancient pathogen found among the ruins of this alien empire. This pathogen spread throughout the colonies before it fully revealed itself. By then it was too late. Mankind’s new born empire was decimated and its success hung by a thread. But now the pathogen has played itself out, and it is time to rebuild what was lost. This is where you come in. With enough money to buy a salvage starship, and employ a rough and ready crew, you can see the opportunities that await someone who can survive on the Outer Rim and gather the resources left behind from the ruins of two empires, one human, one alien

I think that is cool. The part about the salvage starship and rough ready crew. Makes me think of Alien: Resurrection and the mercenaries on board The Betty. Also, that means I can use my Necromunda and 40k models as my company. And that you can play in many different environments.

I can't tell you much about the rules, since I haven't really read all of them.
To shoot you must make a Weapon Skill check on 2D6, and you must roll equal to or lower than the fighters skill level. Then you roll for damage. Then you must beat the opponents resilience score and armour to wound.

Instead of bottling out you call for your dropship. Models that's too far away from The Drop Zone gets left behind and you have to roll to see if the survive and comeback.
I can post some more examples the game mechanics after I have read more.

Quote:
I've previously seen the miniatures for this game before online. I think they have some nice miniatures, not all of them mind you, but a few are quite nice. As ever, I'm always happy to see a new game hit the market. I think that the hobby as a whole benefits from good competition.

I agree. Some of the miniatures are cool, others are not. But you can easily convert Necromunda, 40k and othe sci-fi miniatures and use them instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:41 am 
Necroliscious

please do keep us informed, i'd interesting it trying it , seems a good setting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:45 pm 
Cadet
Cadet

I am sorry, but I am very busy these days, so I haven't been able to read more Star Mogul rules.
But I see that they have released a new supplement, "'Star Mogul: Alien Evolution' rules expansion"
Here's some info and a link:
Quote:
The 2nd rules expansion for 'Star Mogul: Ruins of an empire' core rulebook. Contains full rules for playing a 'Mephalian Warband' , as well as full rules for creating your own 'X12 Android Cult Raiding Sect'.

Also included - some nice background fiction and loads of cool illustrations.

http://www.alphaforgegames.com/catalog/item/2928631/4680576.htm