Login |  Register |  FAQ

Space Elves

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:53 pm 
Private
Private

Here's the quote from Renegades:

"When an Eldar dies his consciousness passes into the warp where The Enemy, Slaanesh the Bane of the Eldar and Great Power of Chaos, awaits to consume it. Every Eldar wears around his neck a small gem called a waystone, the purpose of which is to absorb its owner's consciousness should he be killed, theirby cheating Slaanesh of his quarry and saving the Eldar from a fate that is literally worse than death"

<snip>

"Waystones can also be implanted into machines, and the consciousness they contain becomes the controlling element of the machine, allowing the Eldar to live again in a new form."

<snip>

"When the Eldar go to war they are frequently accompanied by the dead in the form of Wraithguards and Eldar Dreadnoughts."

That doesn't sound so bad to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:18 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I don't disagree with any of that. I think if you wanted some creative intelligence or some wisdom to draw on, you'd definitely plug spirit stones into your tactical wraith-constructs.
However:

"Eldar artificial intelligence is so advanced, that a synthetic intellect the equal of the average human fits within a crystalline capsule the size of a pinhead.
These intelligence units can be found within a wide range of equipment, from seemingly inanimate objects like blades, to disposable items such as grenades and missiles, to clothing and armour, optics, small arms, and of course robotics.
When it costs almost nothing to bestow intelligence upon almost anything, there is little reason not to impart senses, memory, cognition and the ability to communicate, into even the most mundane pieces of technology.
Adaptable, fault-tolerant, ruggedised versions of these synthetic intellects, the size of a fingertip and programmed for combat, sit at the core of the Eldar's array of tactical wraith-constructs.
As though the Eldar were not already a daunting foe, they provide for themselves a vast quantity of formidable, resilient, fearless robotic infantry, limited in number only by a Craftworld's capacity for production and access to resources."

I think that makes a fair bit of sense, even if I did make it up on the spot.
Just remember, this thread isn't about canonical Eldar in particular, but Space Elves in general.

The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity.
With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog, behind which halftruths and untruths can frolic and procreate unmolested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:19 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Quote:
"Waystones can also be implanted into machines, and the consciousness they contain becomes the controlling element of the machine, allowing the Eldar to live again in a new form."

<snip>

"When the Eldar go to war they are frequently accompanied by the dead in the form of Wraithguards and Eldar Dreadnoughts."

That doesn't sound so bad to me.

Exactly my point, the Eldar are phobic about saving the souls of dead Eldar but they don't seem to have any qualms putting way stones into service in... let's face it robotic units that tend to spontaneously explode (read wraithguard), releasing the soul into the clutches of Slannesh.
Don't they have empty way stones with a copy and paste function?
Apparently not.