Login |  Register |  FAQ

Starting Warmachine

Post subject: Starting Warmachine
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:36 pm 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

Just a shout out, any Warmachine players in the house?

bunch of mates and i recently started playing Warmachine (just with battle boxes at the moment), and i wanted to find out if there are any players on the fringe.

if yes, any tips for a newbie Cygnar player like me?

Cheers, DM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:57 pm 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

Well... no. I did play WarMachine when it came out but I don't know that any of my advice is really applicable anymore.

I played Cygnar and liked Warjacks much more than infantry and I had a rather mecha-heavy list with fun units like the Journeyman Warcaster (coolest solo in the game, IMO) and a Field Mechanik and his gobbers. I used Stryker as my Warcaster but always considered switching to Haley. That was before Escalation came out, and I assume things are pretty different now with all the new options.
I don't know if people still use the "Prime" book anymore but it had a tactics section in the back for each faction, which was pretty good for a beginner.

Generic advice that's probably still good:
- Your choice of Warcaster is critical. Choose one that works for your play style and learn to use his or her feat well.
- Always understand what your opponent's Warcaster feat is and what it can do! (Or you can learn it the hard way all of a sudden. Ouch!)
- Spell lists are important to understand as well. Your own and your enemy's.
- Combined arms forces with at least a few Warjacks are generally better than very lop-sided forces. That's the designers' intent anyway, though no-Jack forces were pretty popular for a while there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:42 pm 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

yeah, no jack forces are generally regarded as the best, but also a bit boring IMO.

im playing heavy ranged Cygnar so im gonna grab two defenders and two hunters when i get the cash.

trenchers look great fun to play. ive painted a unit of them are am ready to test them out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:28 pm 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

Back when I was still following the game, there was discussion of how it was rather broken when a game of "WarMachine" didn't involve any war machines at all because they were weaker than infantry. Privateer was going to try to fix the rules, but I guess it didn't happen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:11 pm 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

yeah, they are bringing out some stuff that is specifically strong against infantry, but it isnt quite balanced yet.

also, it isnt just that infantry is stronger.
its also that if you have no jacks, you have a warcaster with 6-7 focus for themselves.
now even now counting spells, thats 4 damage boosted attacks in one round! ouch.