Login |  Register |  FAQ

Malifaux

Post subject: Malifaux
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:37 am 
Lord Commander

Hey all, just saw this game in another thread, does anyone know if its any good? I love the models, but don't know if the gameplay is good or not.

Their site: http://wyrd-games.net/home

*Gone to the long night are the souls of those devoted to the Chaos Gods.*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:46 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

i have heard some good things, novelty of not using dice must be refreshing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:48 pm 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

Well, the local game club here has been playing it for the last few weeks. It seems to be holding people's interest. Compared to Warhammer (40K) it's very inexpensive, so most everyone has taken the plunge and bought a force.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:42 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

http://wyrd-games.net/shop/product.php?productid=16167&cat=263&page=1

would love to see how these look on GW scale minis. I'm guessing that seeing as GW minis have over-scaled weapons anyway, 32mm weapons shouldn't look too big

Urosh Yal, an Orc Stronghold for Skyrim.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=13940

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:04 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I picked up a copy of the rulebook last week. Haven't had a chance to play, but a lot of potential. Here are the highlights.

* No dice... instead, each player uses a deck of playing cards. To take a shot, flip a card and add your guy's stat (which gets compared to the target's defense + a card). You also draw a hand of cards, which you can use to "cheat" the flip if you don't like the result. You only shuffle at the beginning of each turn, so if you pay attention to what has been flipped, you can estimate the odds of drawing the card you need.

* One cool thing is that a lot of the figs have special abilities that are triggered by flipping a particular suit of cards. For example, Justice (who is a bad ass hth fighter) can make a melee counter attack every time she, say, flips a club for her defense roll.

* The game scale looks to be between 5 and 10 figs or so, I would think. Each fig has quite a few options on the game table, with different special abilities, spells and the like. While there are some generic fighters, like the "convict gunfighter," most of the fighters are named characters.

* The background seems pretty cool. It is set around the turn of the 19th century, which a pretty heavy steam-punk and wild west influence. Reminds me a lot of a mash-up of deadlands and Mordheim (Malifaux is a grand, abandoned city where monsters, mystery, and treasure abounds).

* The figs look a little bit large, but not so much that they will stand out like a sore thumb. Great detail and a lot of character, though.

* The weapons screamingabdab linked to look really good as slung or holstered weapons. The weapons are a bit small and thin, so they look a little odd when compared to 40K weapons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:31 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Quote:
The weapons are a bit small and thin, so they look a little odd when compared to 40K weapons.

hmmm that was a worry, they could used to represent one-in-a-million weapons maybe. Or nicer looking guns for Leaders, experienced gangers.

Urosh Yal, an Orc Stronghold for Skyrim.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=13940

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:44 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Was just going to post up and see if anyone has played this. I just got the new book and a couple of armies for the next time my friend and I get together. Played one game at a game store a few weeks ago and it seemed pretty cool. Enough to invest $60 in for two starter armies and the rulebook (cheap!).