Login |  Register |  FAQ

Robotech RPG Tactics

Post subject: Robotech RPG Tactics
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:21 pm 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

Did you ever wonder why the actual holders of the Robotech IP never made their own miniatures game? Well, the rights to that IP were tied up in Copyright Hell for many years. But that impasse seems to have been resolved because the Robotech miniatures wargame game is on its way!

The kickstarter is complete but I'm sure they'll still take your money. The exact rules are still slightly vague at the point of their last demonstration video, but I'd say the designers learned well the lessons of Warhammer 40K. Games are intended to involve LARGE forces with lots of miniatures, and if you want to field Veritech Fighters (of course you do) you're expected to have a separate miniature for each mode. And there seems to be basically ZERO customization of units. Still, the miniatures are beautiful....

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rrp ... -tacticstm

Post subject: Re: Robotech RPG Tactics
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:35 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

These models are amazing, but for some reason i thought the Zentraedi where like twice the size of the UEDF vehicles....they are giants right? Or am I thinking of the wrong cartoon?

In any case, the models look amazing, and I love the scale 1:285

And it is quite obvious where Battletech got their inspiration. Is that where the copy right issues came from?

McCragge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:02 am 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

Long ago when I lived and breathed BattleTech I could have explained all the legal issues....
BattleTech ripped off its mecha artwork from a variety of manga/anime sources, but Macross/Robotech was the main source. FASA always maintained that it had a right to the artwork but they still intentionally made all the mecha pictures flawed and inaccurate in the original rulebook so they could claim it was original art. But the US rights to Macross were in a separate legal limbo which is much more complicated. It seems that when the rights to Macross were being handed out, some of the contracts were rather ambiguous about how the rights could be used, how they could be transferred, and how long they lasted. Robotech (which makes some severe changes to the Macross story) owes its existence to how generously the rights to Macross were handed out.
I am tempted to say that the issue is still not fully resolved since this wargame with no RPG elements is boldly named "Robotech RPG Tactics" and seems to officially be an accessory to the RPG and not officially a standalone game.

Veritech fighters in mech mode are supposed to be the same size as Zentradi, and can use their tools and vehicles. There's even an episode of the cartoon in which they dress up a veritech in a Zentradi uniform. So, yes, a battle pod should tower over a human veritech or destroid. I'm not sure how to-scale everything really is... they are selling MkII Monster destroid miniatures, but have not shown any pictures of them.

Some of my friends in the BattleTech world are investing heavily in it, so I'm sure I will be able to see the minis when they are officially released.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:23 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

It now looks like the game may not come out till jan.

http://palladiumbooks.com/index.php?opt ... t-features

If you scroll down a bit there's a scale shot with a valkyrie, space marine, and a battlepod. It seems the usual PB BS is beginning to rear it head. In the ks page they describe constant updates but as soon as it closed it took them a while to take our money and its taking them longer to give updates. Having not been into the PB scene I just found out last year they had mini kickstarter for an RPG book that's just coming out, even tho it was promised last year. I'm also hearing the owner of PB's is a control freak who apperantly likes to throw others under the bus.

Anyways looking forward to when it comes out.

http://star-ranger.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 5833#15833