Login |  Register |  FAQ

Lord of the Rings dead? Not likely...

Post subject: Lord of the Rings dead? Not likely...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:20 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

The buzz around the net is that Lord of the Rings is a huge disappointment for Games Workshop and basically nobody plays it. But if that was the case, it would seem odd that the current issue of Black Gobbo would have an article about the upcoming release of the Easterlings armies for Lord of the Rings. Check out here:

Easterlings at Black Gobbo

While I have never played the game myself, the miniatures certainly kick ass and are worthy of being used in other games or for collecting alone. I think I might pick up some myself.

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:28 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I'd never play the game, but there's some really good models for it, especially the "bad" humans that have been released more recently, like the Easterlings, and the warriors of Harrad.
The plastic boxed sets are also really good value. I'll eventually get at least a box of each of the human races available, plus the 9-ringwraith box, just for use as generic fantasy models.

The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity.
With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog, behind which halftruths and untruths can frolic and procreate unmolested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:05 pm 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

Um, I think the buzz around here is that nobody plays LotR by GW. But I think it has been very successful for them. The miniatures are all one piece plastics for the most part (aside from some of the main characters). The models are all smaller than GW's regular scale. The models are some of the cheapest in terms of quality and production value that GW has yet produced, but they sell as regular GW type prices, kids and parents willing to fork over the big bucks for official LotR merchandise.

Basically LotR is a simple game intended to cash in on the buzz and hype over the movies and to then act as a gateway to GW's other flagship products. Or heck, just to extract as much money as possible from the kiddies for their invariably short lifetimes as gamers.

So the rules are simple and easy to learn and the miniatures are sub-GW's regular quality. I think that all true GW hobbists should cheer the day that LotR shuffle's off it's mortal coil. Though I'm sure that we will probably see every possible unit produced from the line that is possible. The cost of licensing LotR was huge for GW and paid up front. Now all the extra miniatures that they can squeeze out of it only helps to bring in profits. So regardless of how LotR is doing, expect GW to make miniatures for absolutely anything they can. It would be just plain dumb of them not to. And dumb business decisions is one thing that GW doesn't seem to make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:32 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Some of the new models are quite nice. Have you seen the Khandish Warriors... they aren't half bad? But the game is terrible. I hate the way just about everything works in that game, from the annoying whoever-rolls-highest-wins system used for most actions, to the obscene power-level of most of the named characters (especially the fellowship. Except Merry and Pippin... they suck!). The reason that things like the Easterlings are being released is that GW want to turn LotR from a play-out-the-story-you-read/saw type of game to a proper battles game like fantasy or 40K. Personally, I can't see it working without a major rules overhaul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:02 am 
Gunner
Gunner

The game was pretty fun to play. I made a custom Rhovanian army, converting warriors of Rohan on foot. The game is not expensive at all, despite what Truckler's overzealous post will have you think. I made a forty-five unit Rhovanian army for under fifty dollars and an Orc army with more models for even less.

EDIT: And even if you don't like the rules, which are very simplistic, the models are good quality and inexpensive, so would be very useful for generic fantasy, as was pointed out earlier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:04 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Got to agree with you. A LOTR box set of minis is cheaper than a WH40k or WHFB equivelant and you can get away with having fewer minis for a game so its much cheaper to play.

I have found the quality of some of the minis to be ok and others to be very good. I wouldnt say any are truely shoddy. For the scale and the fact that they are one piece I think they are quite good.

Very simple rules BUT I dont think thats a bad thing. Its wrong to try and drwa comparisons between LOTR and WH as they are very different style games. In LOTR every model plas as an individual where as in WH most things operate as units. IS one better or worse? No, just different I think. Apples and oranges.

If you head over to the Warseer forum this very discussion is taking place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:10 am 
Lord Commander

After just getting the Mines of Moria set and some other boxes (Warriors of the Last Alliance and Mordor Orcs) I have to say that the quality of LotR isn't bad at all. The only major problem I have with the models is the fact that since LotR seems to be marketed towards younger gamers, the ability to convert is no longer simple. Almost all the models are one piece, and sometimes very fragile. The upside is that it is cheaper overall than any other GW game aside from Mordheim, Bloodbowl, and Necro, and that the realistic sized weapons are a nice change from 40k "hero" style.

The rules, however, are decidedly simple. It does seem that while there were some interesting ideas made, like alternating phases in a turn, others were downgraded for the kiddies, like the simple "I just have to roll higher than you" close combat. I wanted something with some more teeth, and the current rules don't give that. I do give major kudos to the fact that GW has really gone all out to support the game, and the Battle Company rules are something everyone should look at. I think 40k would benefit from a form of Battle Company rules.

The overall impression Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game for me is that the models are decent, and so are the rules, barring the odd exception to both, and that this game will just get better with time. GW put a lot of time and effort into making this game large enough to be one of their "A" games, and they'll do everything they can to keep the interest and competition in the game high.

P.S.- Truckler, calm down man. The amount of money that GW put into this means they don't think it will just run off of hype. And the game isn't that expensive or bad. Have a beer and slow your roll. ;-)

*Gone to the long night are the souls of those devoted to the Chaos Gods.*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:09 pm 
Cadet
Cadet

i bought some LOTR and after looking at the rules promptly put them on my shelf the game rules wuld need to be completely redesigned in order for my vague intrest to be sparked in LOTR....IMO any way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:55 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Still, even if you don't play the game, some of the models make for great substitutions in games like Fantasy. E.X. the wood elves in LOTR come 24 per box, and the ast time I checked, the price was $25. you could easily use them in a wood elf fantasy army where the price for wood elves is higher and they come 16 per box.

Time is an illusion. What has happend will happen again, what has not come to pass will do so again and again forever. What is currently happening will affect the future with it's ripples in the ocean of eternity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:05 pm 
DOWN HIVE MISFIT

Scale wise the LOTR figures don't cut it in WFB, but the models are really nice and I cant wait to start my Corsairs!

http://www.krug666.blogspot.com

Buy my junk

http://www.ebay.com/sch/krug_tr6_138/m. ... pg=&_from=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:50 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

apparently you are not allowed to use LOTR models or bits in combination w/ any other GW models/bits/games and if you try and do so at say a touney or comp you will be disqualified. something to do w/ copyrights etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:02 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

still, in regular games and events i never had any trouble.

Time is an illusion. What has happend will happen again, what has not come to pass will do so again and again forever. What is currently happening will affect the future with it's ripples in the ocean of eternity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:26 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

KRUG_666 wrote:
Scale wise the LOTR figures don't cut it in WFB, but the models are really nice and I cant wait to start my Corsairs!

not quite true. there are some models which are fine scale wise such as the ring wraiths on foot. I use a couple of converted ones as special characters in my udead army

Lotr is an excellent game in itself. The thing that i most love about it is the way turns work.

u move, then ur enemy moves u u fire, the ur enemy fires, then combat... effectively thats 2 turns of WF or 40K but in half the time. of course there are a few special ruels allowing u to move b4 the enemy or vice versa etc.

very easy to pick up on, cheap as chips miniatures (a box of 20 orcs, humans, etc for about the price that u'd pay fro a box of 5 or so space marines!)

As mentioned before the models a beautiful too and have plenty of converison possiblites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:18 am 
DOWN HIVE MISFIT

I like the fact you can put together a box of LOTR figs in about twenty minutes :D

http://www.krug666.blogspot.com

Buy my junk

http://www.ebay.com/sch/krug_tr6_138/m. ... pg=&_from=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:30 am 
Recruit
Recruit

i have a few lotr myself but they are more difficult to paint than 40k.

wouldn't play it thou. its slightly pointless that the bad guys can win even thou it is supposed to go along with the storyline of the book.