Login |  Register |  FAQ

Battle for Skull Pass

Post subject: Battle for Skull Pass
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:55 pm 
The Despoiler

I'm strongly considering buying it, even though I don't play fantasy. It's just sucha good deal. I like the Goblins and Dwarfs and you get something like 100 of them.

I got the Battle for Macragge and it was a good set and this one looks simular. The question is will this pull me into warhammer? lol GW hopes so I guess. But if all else fails the Dwarves could be mutated Imperial Guard and Goblins could make some Grots.

Is anyone else thinking about getting the set?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:39 am 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

I just saw an opened copy of the box at my local game store yesterday.

Wow! The plastics in the box are amazing. I try to limit my gaming to just 28mm sci-fi. After all, I only have so much time, money and space. So I try to just play 40K and Necromunda and stay away from GW's other cool games. But I must admit that I was tempted by this boxed set.

The goblins in this boxed set are fantastic! They have tiny little robed bodies with evil snearing faces filled with malice. This is one of the first times that I feel that the plastics have outdone the metal miniatures for the some figures.

The box also comes with spider riders. The spiders are by far the coolest spiders that Games Workshop has yet created. The dwarfs look good too, but I must admit that I didn't focus on them too much. I didn't even glance at the rulebook. The miniatures were just too cool for me to focus on them.

I say if you are into Warhammer Fantasy then this boxed set seems like a tremendous deal.

Truckler

The game designers themselves know these values are not realistic and they do not intend them to replace or invalidate the fluff. So let's get on with our lives and not fixate over the cosmic ramifications of game mechanics which we already know are streamlined for larger forces at the expense of detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:58 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I think the models are a bit hit and miss. All the Goblins I have seen look excellent... I love them all. The spiders are really nice, and have you seen their bases? They have really nice cavalry bases with sculpted details like little spiders, webs and tree trunks on. And apparently the bases will only be available in that box.

But the dwarfs, in my opinion, lick balls. They are all really flat, and have the all too common equipment-melted-into-body syndrome that is often found with plastics (plastic handgunners and plastic LOTR wood elves are good examples). And the troll is pretty bad as well I think. If I actually played Fantasy I would consider buying it just for the Goblins and the rules (that for £40 is a pretty good deal), and hopefully find some chump to do a Goblin-Dwarf swap. But I don't, because I find it prohibitively competitive and strict... way too much thumbing through the rulebook and exact interpretations (basically rules-lawyering) in my experience. For some reason 40k isn't like this when I play it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:01 am 
The Despoiler

Well I got my hands on some free with WD gobbos and Dwarfs. :)
My cousin like the dwarf and now we are each going to get a copy and trade forces. I'll be getting to goblins. (in truth I bought two copies so they'd rank up..I know the shame of it)

So far I really like my little goblin. He has nice detail for a model of his size, clearly the computer assisted sculpting is coming into play. Also the old night goblins had freaked large heads and big robes on his arms. But these are much nicer without the arms splaying around. The goblin's small size really helps the effect and makes him look neat.

The dwarf is not bad but not breath taking it's a fair plastic one par model and that's it. But in an army as a basic core choice it's fine. It's not like every background guy has to be an amazing hero and totally one of a kind. I'm looking forward to gettingthe set and seeing the rest in person.

Post subject: Battle for Skull Pass
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:10 am 
Recruit
Recruit

I never feally played warhammer either but i really like the look of models, i've always wanted to get into it but rather do elves than goblins or dwarfs its hard to decide!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:07 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

i have my deposit down on the box set and my local GW is initiating a "Swap shop" for anyone who wants to swap the gobbos or dwarfs for another set of their fav race. Personsally i plan to swap carefully so that i can make people trade me some extra dwarfs for some night goblin heroes or the troll.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:49 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

The new Goblins are really, really nice. Beats the crap out of last ed's big head gangly looking retards. These new guys actually look vicious.

Dwarfs, not so much. Kinda ug. But that's Dwarfs, I guess. They have always been ug, except Slayers.

The new Troll. NO! Bad sculptor! Go to your room and study Jes's masterpieces. Then just release the Stone Troll with the Massive hammer in the BfSP box.

Great deal on the box, though.

EDIT: Oops, that's Michael Perry's masterwork on the Trolls. Sorry.

Last edited by feeder on Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:50 am 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

My free dwarf met his end converted, onto the spear of a shiny new unit of boar boyz. I do play fantasy but I wouldn't buy the set. By expident of hating both goblins and dwarfs, but, the widowmaker is right, the dwarf looks like his shield is fused with his chest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:01 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Yeah I agree with more or less most people. I got the free WD minis and the quality of the dwarf solely made up my mind not to buy the box set. The gobbos look amazing though!

Lost_Heretic wrote:
Remember, this is 40K. Logic takes the backseat and kewl is doing the driving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:03 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Recently I looked to get back into wargaming, with an eye on the fantasy side of things and I thought I'd start by getting White Dwarf to check up on what was new. I was appalled at the changes that had happened to the magazine alone - when I was last gaming regularly White Dwarf had card buildings, scenarios, modelling articles, ideas for campaigns and house rules and even stories. Now it is a £5 catalogue with nothing but adverts and store listings.

The only thing I have seen of interest is the "Bretonnia In Flames" campaign they came up with, as every other campaign was based on the idea of "buy these five miniatures for £6 each, cut them up to make one character that you will use once....". As it stands, I am now expanding my bretonnian army using Rackham miniatures (expensive, yes, but I'd rather pay £40 for six exquisite Alahan knights in metal than £25 for some iffy plastic knights) - I'm even considering switching to their Rag'Narok rules once version 2 comes out. As I have no intention of playing in a tournament, I have created fluff to explaing why my Grail Knights are the Rackham miniatures and will probably end up making a mostly metal army from their figures. I'd rather stump up for the quality (please don't tell me that anything GW has knocked out in the last few years matches the quality of something like the Wolfen figures)and play a mish-mash of earlier Warhammer and house rules that cut down on the silly one-powerful-character-for-750-points-kills-50-normal-soldiers issues that seem to plague later editions of Warhammer and then use either Mordheim or something similar to use as a rule base for skirmish/narrative stuff.

I am considering the BfSP boxed set to quickly get some core units to allow some friends to get into the hobby - if it doesn't work out, I have had a diorama piece in my head for years that needs a large number of goblins, so the cheap plastic ones would do for that at a push, leaving me the rules, some dwarves to make into piles of dead dwarves and some scenery and dice - still a bargain. I hear the dwarves are a bit crappy, but when you are getting 100+ miniatures for £35 or £40, you can't really argue - after all the miniatures in Space Crusade and Heroquest were a bit rubbish, but those games cost £20-£30 fifteen years ago, or so - I know, as I bought them too. lol - those were the days....