Login |  Register |  FAQ

Mighty Empires- the original

Post subject: Mighty Empires- the original
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:37 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Hi guys.

Was searching through my stuff and came across two sets of the original Mighty Empires game. Have played a few campaign seasons with a couple of friends and am on about creating a campaign with the local gaming club, but since playing I've discovered one problem.

Here's a bit of background for those who don't know what ME is, for those that do, skip this para...; ME is a campaign map built from hexagonal tiles. You start of with a capital in one tile and villages/cities/forts in the 7 surrounding tiles. This forms your realm. A campaign season lasts 6 turns, in which a banner/army/unit may move one tile. When you entire a new tile you have a chance of discovering a village, city or fort (or nothing at all) which then becomes part of your empire. At the end of the season/turn 6 all armies/banners etc must return back to the your realm.

basically, armies can move a maximum of 6 tiles each campaign season, before they then have to retire to winter quarters; "During the Winter Quarters phase, every banner is removed from the map and replaced within its home realm in a tile which is capable of supporting it. Remember the realm only consists of the seven tiles you begin the game with, not your whole empire."

Yet to me this proves a problem. It practically means the game has no ending, and if some players are far enough away, they will never actually meet other players (having 2 sets of this game and a total of over 200tiles, this can easily happen!). There just aren't enough turns to reach enemy tiles that are more than 6 tiles away from your realm.

So can we have a bit of a brain storm and perhaps suggest some alternative rule to the 'winter quarters' one or an adaptation of it?

If people want to read the rest of the rules for this game/expansion, they're available here; http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... Id=1400005

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:54 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

www.plasticlegions.blogspot.com had a whole slew of mighty empires campaigns. I haven't yet played a fantasy army, so obviously I know nothing about Mighty Empires, but you may get some good advice there. If nothing else, they have some great batreps there.

Post subject: Re: Mighty Empires- the original
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:55 am 
The Threadomancer

I know this is a very late reply (but hey threadomancy isn't a crime is it?) but the answer to the question about never reaching another empires capital is that although an army banner can only move 6 tiles per campaign season, a banner can start in any occupied tile so if in campaign year 1, 3 tiles are absorbed into the Empire, year 2's banners can start the campaign year in any of those tiles. So by campaign year 3-4 it should be relatively easy to reach another Empire.

Better late than never, eh? :)

My Blog

Post subject: Re: Mighty Empires- the original
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:12 am 
The Threadomancer

I know this is a very late reply (but hey threadomancy isn't a crime is it?) but the answer to the question about never reaching another empires capital is that although an army banner can only move 6 tiles per campaign season, a banner can start in any occupied tile so if in campaign year 1, 3 tiles are absorbed into the Empire, year 2's banners can start the campaign year in any of those tiles. So by campaign year 3-4 it should be relatively easy to reach another Empire.

Better late than never, eh? :)

My Blog