Login |  Register |  FAQ

Favorite Genre of Computer Game?

Post subject: Favorite Genre of Computer Game?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:00 pm 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

I'm not going to make this a poll. For one thing, I don't know all the types and genres of games out there. But what does everyone like when it comes to computer games?

I like turn based squad level skirmish games. Things like X-Com and it's successors. I also like real time strategy games that focus on smaller sized games where the action is more close up. Funny, that all these games closely approximate miniature games. Hmmm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:30 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

My vote would have to be for 'first person shooters'

In my opinion, they require the most skill and knowledge to play or.... at least to be good at ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:30 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Turnbased Squad Level strategy games all the way. Ever since the days of XCom, I've been totally hooked. If there is even the hint of a game having (1) squad(s) and (2) turns, I'm probably going to buy it.

Second Favorite: Pausable, realtime, tactical roleplaying games. These are the games like Baldurs Gate, Freedom Force, and UFO Aftermath that give you a squad and allow you to pause the action to assign orders.

Favorite Online Game: First Person Shooters, all the way. Nothing quite like sighting down a guy running at full speed, and blowing his head off with a sniper rifle!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:54 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Japanese gameshow games! W00t!
First person shooters a distant second.

I don't think I would ever play a turn based tactical computer game, not even if I was paid. All the ones I've seen are horrible. 'Specially X-com.

The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity.
With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog, behind which halftruths and untruths can frolic and procreate unmolested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:37 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

BLASPHOMY! :P

What, turn based games aren't "realistic" enough for you Robbie? Or is it that you have to actually play the game instead of changing every rule into something you like better?

Auz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:35 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Yeah, pretty much. :P

If I had m4d pr0gramming skills I might try making or modifying one. But, I haven't spent all this time and money on table top wargames and role-playing games to play them on a PC.

The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity.
With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog, behind which halftruths and untruths can frolic and procreate unmolested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:27 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

One of the main things that bugged the hell out of me about the Xcom series, at least in the first 2 games was the lack of proper overwatch.

You shootdown an alien space craft secure the crash site and play the waiting game around the one and only door way that the aliens can escape from.

And what happens? For some reason aliens (who would most likely be concussed and injured from their crashing space ship) exiting this one particular doorway which you have some 6 or so guys watching for a number of turns in crouching positions get shot to pieces by a single alien exiting, firing, then reentering the autoclosing door.

Just talking about it is starting to piss me off.

Seriously if you were exiting a doorway with 6 military or SWAT personelle all aiming their weapons at it, how many shots do you think you would get off?

It's actually a trick question, you'd be dead before you had a chance to count the number of muzzles aimed at you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:26 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Yarlin-

Yeah, that was as anoying as hell. One thing that I've always looked for in a turn based game (but haven't ever really gotten), was a way to cover an area in my opponents turn. 90% of the games have some sort of "reaction" stat that automatically generates interupts, but I'd always thought it would be cool if you could click on a button that would double your reaction in the front-arc, but make you oblivious to stuff going on behind you. Still haven't seen this though.

Two interesting exception to this, however: First is Silent Storm which, although it doesn't have overwatch, puts a sillohet icon on the board when you hear a badguy shuffling around in the next room. Instead of waiting for him to come out of the room and interrupting him, or going in and getting waisted by his interrupt, you can just unload full auto into the wall and blow him away before you make eye-contact.

Second is in the new Laser Squad Nemesis game which does actually have an overwatch function with which you draw a line from the base of your fighter in a particular direction, and you get a bonus to shoot anyone within a certain arc of that line. However, because LSN isn't a true turn based game (both players turns happen simultaneously), as it is another way of specifying who you want your guys to shoot. For instance, you can tell your guys to fire at a particular guy (and not fire if that guy runs out of LOS), or you can tell your guys to fire at any guys in a particular area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:38 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I played the demo for LSN, i didn't like it very much it seemed to be lacking something.

Silent storm sounds pretty cool, "speculative fire" is what you were talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:24 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I'd definately check out Silent Storm. It's the best tactical turn-based game since JA2.

Some of the sweet things about it:

Fully 3D terrain and models... and by modifying a couple of settings, you can position the camera anywhere.

Fully destructable enviornment: and we aren't talking the xcom fully destrutable enviornment where you blow out the entire 1st floor, and the second floor hands there unscathed. You take out a load bearing colum, and parts of the floor above come down. Take out enough colums, and the whole building comes crashing down.

Lots of options for movement: you can walk, run, hide, crouch, crawl and strafe. Each type of movement effects action points per step, and how likely you are to be detected.

Lots of fire options: Snap Shot, Aimed Shot, Burst Fire, and Full Auto. Also, sniper weapons have a "snipe" setting that allows you to use APs from multiple turns to continue aiming at a baddie. Also, you can take aimed shots head, either arm, or either leg.

Grenades rock... you can throw them over terrain, bounce them around corners. Also, with ragdoll physics, it is entertaining to watch the corpses go flying when you land a grenade at their feet.

As your guys advance levels, you can spend skill-points ala diablo to give your guys bonuses for certain actions.

On the downside, the campaign system is almost non-existent (all your guys heal after the mission, don't have to manage resources, travel is instantaneous. Also, the story is pretty thin, and the voice acting is next to abysmal, but if you are looking for a good turn-based tactical game, SS rocks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:13 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tactical or strategy games that takes the subject matter seriously.

I like XCOM, Hearts of Iron, The Panzer GEneral series (particularly the superb Peoples General) and the Close Combat games.

I also enjoy some FPS games.. Doom 1+2, Halfllife, Red Faction (believe it or not)

Finally, Silent Hill and Resident Evil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:00 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

X-Com was one of my all time favorite games. I do like turn based games best, both tactical and strategy. I hate MMORPGs, I've tried to play them and I think they're the most intensely boring thing you can do. RTS and shooters are sometimes fun. But I'm not a heavy computer game player, I spend maybe between 10 and 20 hours a month playing video games max. Not even that currently, my computer hasnt been used for games in a month, at least.

If you want to see some funny videos on the subject, go to www.purepwnage.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:38 am 
Private
Private

I like FPS and RPGs but cos I've got a PS2 I'm limited in decent RPG's and later than FFVII. I want to get Bard's Tale cos I've heard good things but i'm not sure.

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:56 pm 
Knight ov Discord

First-person action role playing.

I find it funny that traditional crpg's are the games least useable in a role playing environment. They are more detached, like tactical resource management games.

The next great game ov our time is going to be 'BIO-SHOCK'! From the makers ov ultima underworlds1&2, system shock1&2, thief1,2&3 and dues ex 1. It takes place in an old WWII era Antartic nazi UFO base where weird genetic experments were taking place... 50 years later, the lab is reopened to find some ov the projects are still alive, and a stable eco-system has developed in the sprawling complex.

There is no real plot beyond that - the entire game is going to be a free form randomly generated FPARPG with dynamic events, and generated factions that are going to interact with each other using what is being billed as the most advanced situational AI in a game yet.

3 cheers for alternate history sci-fi survival horror games with dystopianist conspericy undertones!

Post subject: Re: ...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:16 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Quote:
3 cheers for alternate history sci-fi survival horror games with dystopianist conspericy undertones!

now that's a mouthful