Login |  Register |  FAQ

Favorite Genre of Computer Game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:54 am 
Knight ov Discord

The bad guys in system shock were alien zombie cyborgs controlled by a starships AI.

That was sweet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:04 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

System Shock 2 rocked. I have fond memories of it: I got it just after I "broke up" with a girl that I'd been kinda sorta dating for about six months, and the end wasn't exactly my idea, so I was amazingly depressed.

So I hopped in my car, drove to the EB games, and lo n' behold, there is system shock 2 face out on the shelf, on sale for $20. So I drop down the cash, drive home, install it, and plug in for 36 hours straight. Honestly, I don't remember eating, sleeping, or going to the bathroom... but I can still picture the dark cooridoors and the sounds of zombies in the distance.

When I beat the game, the sun was rising--I stretch, and realized I was totally over the whole thing.

best $20 I ever spent.

Auz

Post subject: !!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:04 pm 
Knight ov Discord

>best $20 I ever spent.

That pretty much sums up shock. Bio-shock is going to be so cool! Here is a screenshot.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/20 ... een003.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:04 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

I can't imagine why they can't take the xcom idea and improve on that. I didn't like ufo 2. Haven't figured out how to play apocalypse, no time to mess about with dosbox...

I read the gamespot review on ufo aftermath. Doesn't seem up to scratch.

Apart from xcom, I just love sid meier's turn based strategy games... Some of those imitations are quite good... Master of magic, MOO2....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:34 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

MOO2 is one of my all time favorite games. It I hadn't gotten to the point where I can beat it 90% of the time even on impossible, I'd still play it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:15 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

It's an amazing game, but for some reason I can't stand playing without the 'creative' ability. Yet its so self limiting. I don't know, just don't like not covering the entire learning tree.

UFO 2 was just so damned frustrating. Live aliens? Give me a break, maybe if it were possible to capture alien researchers maybe. Never could get into that. Sometimes you equip your men with the torpedo weapons and you end up with a terror site....

My men were suffering from fatigue all the time and for me mental exhaustion. UFO didn't feel repetitive. Terror was sickening....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:25 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

I've got a three way tie for my favorite game genre RPG, FPS and Racing, but I like to wet my beak with a little of everything. For RPG's I like World of Warcraft, Everquest II, Champions of Norrath and Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance I and II. For FPS I like Half Life 1 and 2, Doom 3 etc. For racing I like Live For Speed, Toca Race Driver 2 and Forza Motorsports along with the NFS series, especially NFS Underground on my PSP. I would have picked one genre but I spend an equal amount of time between all three.

I also have to say since it was talked about so much that X-Com is one of the best games of all times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:37 am 
Iconoclast

moo2 stands for master of orion 2?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:24 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Neverwinter Nights, Medal of Honor (online), Ghost Recon, Unreal Tournament. :guns02

http://z3.invisionfree.com/wfbfgu/index.php?act=idx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:51 pm 
Iconoclast

heh, i used to play moo2 quite a lot. i even won in some small galaxies on easier levels (won the orion). music was all right and graphics were great. i liked the colony view with different skies and terrain, depending on the planet. only thing i was pissed about was that yellow race out of nowhere which was pummeling my forces. nomatter how well equipped my fleet was two, three alien fighters were alway turning it into dust.

then i bought moo3. game has 5 times more detail which wasn't all that bad, but graphic was missing. colony is just a set of tables and numbers. planets aren't any different. i dunno. i don't think that good graphics is a must in a good game, but lack of any art is just too much.

i liked moo2 more. it was simpler game. it had better looks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:34 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Yeah, I love moo2 as well. Stil have it on my PC.

That race that came out of nowhere are the Antarans. You can disable them completely when you start a new came by deselecting the Antarans Attack button. Handy until you get a grip on the mechanics.

You can beat them, just want to have a large number of opposing races so the raids are spread out more. And don't build a Dimensional Portal until you are truly ready to kick their arse!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:21 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Bah, the Antarans were nothing. By the time they started attacking I had enough technology researched that they were easy. The real difficult race was the Psilons. That game was all about teching up as fast as you could.