Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Fallout 3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:08 pm 
Cadet
Cadet

Quote:
I have not. It seems there is a UK version of the compilation that has been cencored to remove all the children. Some people (in forum posts) have said they got the censored version without being told that's what they were ordering. Other people have reported that old problems with the games like the "black screen" in Fallout 1 have not been corrected in the new version.

That's what I was worried about, I ordered it anyway though, I'll try it out and see how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:41 pm 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

Maybe memory is the first thing that goes when you become old and senile. After being quite certain that I didn't order it, the White Label Fallout Collection showed up in the mail yesterday.

There were two vendors selling it through Amazon. One was charging less but had it clearly described as the UK Edition. The more expensive one didn't say. It seems that I ordered the more expensive version, and I can safely say that it IS the more kiddie-friendly UK version. I started Fallout 1 and went to The Hub (where I know there should be a little kid) and... nothing. Children have been removed.

I understand there is a fan-made patch that puts the children back in to the game, though I have not tried it.

Unfortunately the game didn't fix the underlying incompatability with my KVM switch. I had to re-wire things to make it play. Overall, a waste of money for my situation. On the bright side, I didn't have the manually install and patch it to make it work in XP. Fallout 1 is version 1.2 which should remove the time limit for the mutant attack (though there is still a water chip time limit). The only problem I have had with it is one instance of the "black screen" bug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:55 pm 
Cadet
Cadet

So... for the most part the black screen bug is fixed? That's what I was really worried about anyway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:23 pm 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

I have only tried Fallout 1 but the black screen bug now works like this... the whole screen goes black, but anything that moves will show back up. So if you scroll your view of the terrain and wave your mouse over your control panel you can continue without having to save and reload.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:50 pm 
Cadet
Cadet

Sounds good, I'm glad that got sorted out somewhat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:43 am 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

Well, the moment of truth has arrived. I assume everyone has been leaving a trail of underwear-clad corpses across the post-apocalyptic landscape?

My antique computer handles it well on Medium settings but I intend to turn it up. I have only encountered a few minor glitches. One time in combat I warped through a solid wall. I have also noticed that the up and down scroll arrows on the Barter screen for NPCs do not work if the NPC has a lot of inventory.

VATS is a bit disorienting, but it does help if you queue up all the attacks you can make at once. Taking one shot at a time conserves ammo and APs but you tend to get shot / clubbed / stabbed while you are switching in and out of VATS between attacks. If you are at close range and queue up three head shots with your 10mm, the fight is basically over.
The trouble is when you have two or more opponents. It's easy to use up all your APs without finishing the fight, then you have to run or hide until they refresh. So, find some hard cover to hide behind if at all possible (hint: counters and displays at the Super-Duper Mart are not hard cover).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:42 pm 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

aussies get it tomorrow :(
cant wait :)

as for the action points running out before finishing a fight, yeah, thats the point if it is anything at all like fallout 1 and 2 and tactics :)
you have to use them wisely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:45 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I heard the PS3 version is 'ugly and buggy' compared to the 360 and PC versions, another reason not to buy a PS3 :lol:.

Presuming the game has been censored (at all) I will likely be ordering my copy from New Zealand (Large island to the east of Australia) as they have no game censorship and appropriate classifications.
They also use PAL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:51 pm 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

Man i just looked up reviews of it:

Game Reviews podcast: 9.4

IGN.com: 9.6

GameTrailers.com: 9.4

1up.com: A+

N4G.com: 9.3

Nice :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:39 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I still have to wait about 14 hours before I can buy my copy. Damn this 9am opening time nonsense! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:35 pm 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

Just bought it :D:D:D:D:D:D

Wonder if it will run on my work computer........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:30 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Since Tuesday, this game has owned my soul.

And it runs well on one gig of RAM, which makes me super (mutant) happy! :D Coupled with fast load times, this game has won me over forever! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:33 pm 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

I'm afraid it has had a negative effect on my real life... like neglecting to do my laundry and staying up way too late at night.

One strange thing I have noticed.... it take a very long time to load a saved game when the program first starts. If it seems like it's locked up when you are trying to begin your adventures anew, just give it a few minutes. I have had a few minor bugs since my last post, but nothing serious.

I really enjoy the design of the world and the machines in it. The cars and trucks in particular are great. I also like the Pulowski Preservation Shelters on downtown street corners. Just the sort of thing you might encounter in a society where they believe thermonuclear war is survivable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:34 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Venator wrote:
I'm afraid it has had a negative effect on my real life... like neglecting to do my laundry and staying up way too late at night.

I really enjoy the design of the world and the machines in it. The cars and trucks in particular are great. I also like the Pulowski Preservation Shelters on downtown street corners. Just the sort of thing you might encounter in a society where they believe thermonuclear war is survivable.

Me too, lol.

As far as the design goes, I think they added a bunch of neat little touches to it. So far my favorite(s) have to be the bobbleheads and the lunchboxes, though...since I physically HAVE these items IRL (for buying the collector's edition), seeing them in-game was pretty neat too. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:04 pm 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

yeah...this game is brutally awesome.

for all those people thinking this was going to be a first person shooter, it most definately is not.

the VATS system is great, tho the cut shots can get a little anoying.

the only issue i found with it is that in VATS, you sometimes hit interviening items even if you have clear view in first person.

this game definately gets 9.5/10 from me.

BTW, the voice on your dad is liem neeson so the game gets bonus points for qui gon jin being your dad :P:P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next