Login |  Register |  FAQ

Dawn of War 2 Trailer: Now with Eldar

Post subject: Dawn of War 2 Trailer: Now with Eldar
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:33 am 
Mature, well groomed miniature enthusiast

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36029.html

In case you hadn't seen it...

I'm more excited for this one than the first game because everything I've heard has said it's moving away from Base-Building to a more tactical approach with fewer on-screen squads that matter more....sorta like 2nd edition ;) :P

Mrs. Dr. Remulack wrote:
It is not no wonder that USA children are so, forgive me here, fcuked up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:37 pm 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

I like base building, but I also enjoyed Ground Control (no base building at all).

They don't seem to have officially released the system requirements. With nothing to go by besides the trailer, I'm concerned that it's so pretty I may need a new PC to play it.
Right now my antique PC and video card only experience serious problems with big games of Supreme Commander. The original DoW, Sin of a Solar Empire and my 4+ year-old MMORPG work okay. I guess we'll see what sort of technology buy-in will be required to play the new version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:53 pm 
Mature, well groomed miniature enthusiast

Venator wrote:
I like base building, but I also enjoyed Ground Control (no base building at all).
I don't particularly like mixing my tactical-clickfest with my base building. I'd prefer to load up an army on points and then throw it at the enemy's similar force (a la Warhammer: Mark of Chaos). I don't need accurate dice-modeling of the system, but as long as the 'feel' is right, I'm good.

Venator wrote:
They don't seem to have officially released the system requirements. With nothing to go by besides the trailer, I'm concerned that it's so pretty I may need a new PC to play it.
Right now my antique PC and video card only experience serious problems with big games of Supreme Commander. The original DoW, Sin of a Solar Empire and my 4+ year-old MMORPG work okay. I guess we'll see what sort of technology buy-in will be required to play the new version.
Yeah, you're in trouble ;)

Mrs. Dr. Remulack wrote:
It is not no wonder that USA children are so, forgive me here, fcuked up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:26 pm 
Private
Private

Here's a bit more info from E3

http://e3.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6 ... es;title;1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:46 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

http://au.gamespot.com/video/945727/6193807/videoplayerpop?rgroup=e32008_story

So who is the Farseer refereing too?
Chaos? Tyranids maybe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:13 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Yarlen Fireblade wrote:
http://au.gamespot.com/video/945727/6193807/videoplayerpop?rgroup=e32008_story

So who is the Farseer refereing too?
Chaos? Tyranids maybe?

Heh. That trailer actually managed to make the Eldar look somewhat badass for a change. :-p

As for your question, though, all the early rumors I heard about DoW 2 sounded like Starcraft: your human race (marines/marines), your advanced race of aliens (protoss/eldar), and your swarm race (zerg/tyranids).

But if the trend sticks with the DoW series (noticed that the Marines are once again Blood Ravens), the Farseer could even be referring to Necrons.

My opinion? 'Nids. Helluva a way to introduce them to the uninitiated and veterans alike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:03 pm 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

I don't know, I have watched that video several times, and as cool as it would be for Tyranids or Chaos, it has to be the Orks.

If you look at all the other trailers and sneak peeks, they have only shown three races Space Marines, Eldar and Orks.

Since there are no orks in the video, most likely they are refering to that. And the bright orange clouds or smoke, could be the orks burning and pillaging some nearby city or something.

Either way, I love the new look of the Space Marines, not so cartoony this time.

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:25 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Though you are right about the Orks being the only other race thus far featured, I'm inclined to think it's Tyranids because, again, of the early-on discussion I heard about the game (though I lack any references to such interviews/articles). The designers were excited that whatever engine they're using for this one will let them actually have Tyranids. The previous engine, while workable for other races (to an extent) made everything seem kinda blocky; this newer engine will let them have the mutable, organic feel of the Tyranids that they really wanted to shoot for.

But I fear that history will repeat itself. Look at the legacy of DoW (1):

-Initial release: 4 races (SM, CSM, Eldar, Orks)
-1st Exp.: 1 new race (IG)
-2nd Exp.: 2 new races (Necrons and Tau)
-3rd Exp.: 2 new races (SoB and DE)

So maybe what we'll end up seeing for an initial run is something similar, where everyone isn't going to be able to play the exact race/faction/whatever they want. SM and Orks would have to be in an initial run, and evidently Eldar are as well. As excited as they were about my aforementioned 'Nid rendering, I could easily seem them placing them in the game instead of Chaos. But really, I'm speculating that they'll be jerks and hose us like that; for all I know, we'll get a bunch of playable races off the bat (but maybe not all of them). A lot could change between now and TBA 2009, though, so I guess we'll all have to keep an eye out...

EDIT: Leave it to Wikipedia to do my work for me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000:_Dawn_of_War_II

Quote:
The Tyranid race was frequently requested by fans for the first Dawn of War game but Relic felt that the game engine was not capable of producing satisfying organic-looking models. While the tyranids have not yet been officially confirmed or denied by relic, the end of a leaked cutscene shows what looks like a tyranid swarm approaching a planet.

Not that it's exactly the soundest source or anything, but at least it proves that I'm not (entirely) insane. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:44 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I've raised this on a few other forums considering the prospect but it's entirely possible that the Tyranids will be the antagonists during the single player campaign, not actually usable in the single player campaign (but likely in multiplayer) like Chaos were in the original DOW.

There's been quite a few questions raised mainly that if DOW 2 is apparently going to be smaller scale with 5 or 6 units max which gain xp and abilities and can be somewhat customized that Tyranids simply don't fit with this concept, overall Tyranids aren't thinking creatures squads to them are cannon fodder if the enemy wastes ammunition on them too bad for them.

So Tyranids as a playable faction don't really make sense, some nids while not independantly thinking are capable to some degree of acting for themselves, staying out of the way of enemy fire and stalking and hunting their enemies but it still doesn't seem particularly compatible with the way DOW 2 is appaently going to play.
But then again maybe you play as the Tyranid hive mind ala Starcraft style, well see soon enough i suppose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:32 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

I can confirm from a very reliable source that Eldar, SM and Orks are NOT the only factions that will appear in the initial release of DoW2, there will be at least aother race.

On the topic of Tyranids, as pointed out above they dont really fit into the xp/small units part, they will still make a v. good antagonnistic race as they can effectively work like cannon fodder if you get what I mean. Not that they're not a tough opponent but that they are umerouse so having plenty to fight against will be inkeeping with their general feel.

Although, which ever extra races in DoW2 will be kept extremely secretive untill closer to its release date. They will obviously be revealed but for marketing purposes they are being kept hush hush for now, dont want to give the game away too early.

Even in the campaign the extra race wont appear in the initial stages (when playing space marines the first few levels are all about fighting orks ,naturally) however the additional race(s) will reveal themselves through the plot of the campaign.

I'll try and find more out and post all the stuff I know here

P.S. I forgot to say there is a mod for DoW which allows tyranids which actually isn't too bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:05 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

http://au.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/warhammer40kdawnofwar2/video/6196262?tag=topslot;watchlink;1

It's official, and there's proof.
Tyranids!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:21 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

I thought they'd hold them back from DoW1 to bring em out for DoW2 :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:31 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Ha! I knew it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:52 am 
Private
Private

I think THQ/Relic said at some point that the DOW1 engine couldn't do Tyranids justice and they were being held back for DoW2....

As an avid DoW player - I'm very much looking forward to this game :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:50 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

According to the article the Tyranid invasion or at least your interaction with the Tyranids is only during the last third of the game.

I guess the first two thirds is preperation for the coming storm. :twisted:

Quote:
As an avid DoW player - I'm very much looking forward to this game

As much an avid DOW player as you may be DOW2 seems to have very little in common with the previous game, if any direct comparison is to be drawn it is to Company of Heroes.
It's certainly no longer an RTS game in the classical sense.