Login |  Register |  FAQ

The XBOX 360 Black Screen of Death

Post subject: The XBOX 360 Black Screen of Death
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm 
Knight ov Discord

The Xbox2 is already famous for overheating and crashing, but when that happens you don't get an error message... even tho you should - microsoft built in an error message for 'system overheating', but for some reason the console shuts down before it is displayed.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907533/

This, however, is the error message that the xbox2 gets when it is just crashing, due to one ov the many mis-pressed disks, or a program error, or perhaps even another yet undiscovered problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:46 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360

Several days after its launch a solution was found for many users freezing problems. It was determined that the power supply was overheating and not providing adequate power to the system causing a lock-up. Consumers remedied this by placing the system in a place where air was allowed to circulate all around the power supply.

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

I think I will just wait for the PS3

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:39 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Smart move.

Sony, at least, has a good track record with their consoles. Oh, sure, there have been glitches. Like the original PS overheating and crashing if you sat it on carpet (blocked up the air vents - sit it upside down, or put it on a coffee table, it ran fine). Or the PS2's lousy sound playing back DVDs - you have to really crank the volume to hear the audio track.

But they are still quite stable. I once ran a PS2 for over 12 hours non-stop, didn't even twitch. Don't think an X-box could handle this...

I will admit, the concept of a hard drive in a console was a good idea. Aren't Sony doing this with the PS3?

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:17 am 
Knight ov Discord

If it was a good idea, chances are microsoft didnt come up with it. You could get a hard disk for the ps2. Preinstalled with linux.

http://www.us.playstation.com/periphera ... SCPH-97047

Also, sony makes the psx, which comes with a 160GB HD and functions as a DVR.

http://www.ps3land.com/psx.php

"Ken Kutaragi confirmed that the PlayStation 3 will come with GNU/Linux as its operating system. Kutaragi hinted that there is a possibility that the PlayStation 3's hard disk drive may be sold separately."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#GNU.2FLinux

The Cell processor is much more interesting then the dual core 360, considering how committed the 3 companies that make it are to linux. Sony has stated that it wants the ps3 to be considered a real computer, so we will se how this goes.

IBM http://www-1.ibm.com/linux/
Toshiba http://linux.toshiba-dme.co.jp/linux/
Sony http://www.sony.net/Products/Linux/notice.html

Or, you could attack a string to your xbox 2 and watch it spin 360.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:02 pm 
Lord Commander

Since the complaints of overheating and crashing are less than 1% of the amount of 360s sold, I really don't consider it a problem. All new systems have this problem, and the 360 is no different. Overall, I think Mircosoft has a better design, both of hardware and of controllers-that new PS3 bannana thing looks stupid, and will start getting better and better developers to make sweet games. I like Playstation, but I think that Microsoft will have an edge in the next-gen market.

*Gone to the long night are the souls of those devoted to the Chaos Gods.*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:24 pm 
Knight ov Discord

>All new systems have this problem, and the 360 is no different.
No. Only the shitty systems have problems. Name one single dreamcast launch problem. I think you hope that microsoft products will get better so you don't have to switch to using something else. They won't. You will. Xbox is a loosing product, both in terms ov it's sub par technology and non-existant profit.

"...without Windows, we would have been dead a long time ago."
-Microsoft memo

1) Use Linux on your PC instead ov Windows
2) Microsoft dies
3) ??
4) Profit!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:21 pm 
Cadet
Cadet

>1) Use Linux on your PC instead ov Windows
2) Microsoft dies
3) ??
4) Profit!

good one! :chaos :flamewar :lol:

and true.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:10 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Quote:
Name one single dreamcast launch problem

The DC isn't a next gen console for starters.... how many problems did the mastersystem, NES, SNES, Saturn, etc etc etc go through? Cause I sure as hell can't think of any.

Sega made more consoles than everyone else, but what inevitably happened to Sega?

How many next gen Sega consoles do you see around these days?
.... and why's that?

Yeah..... because Sega is dead.

Nintendo is next on the chopping block no doubt about that, the Revolution should be a revolutionary failure.

"Why" you say?

Yeah..... that's why.

Last edited by Yarlen Fireblade on Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:37 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

Picture link is broken...is that why?

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:38 am 
Knight ov Discord

Yawn. The term "next -gen" is marketing speak. Pure hype. NES was at the time current hardware. Just as the xbox was current hardware when it launched. (or was there something next gen about a celeron with 32 megs ov ram?) The xbox2 is current technology. It is an off the shelf multicore mac g5 with added DRM. It runs a special build ov windows 2000. What the (&#$@!) is 'next-gen' about it?

Yarlen, you are smoking crack. the omni-nes is going to be used by small childern and old ladies. Have you seen teh controller? hold it on it's side and it is an almost exact replica ov the old school nes controller. It has a tv remote design that 99% ov the US is very at ease using. it has motion sensor inside, so it can be used as an airmouse. It has a trigger on the bottom so that it can function as a light gun. And it has a module feature, so attachments can be developed. The omni-nes is next gen because it tries something new, something that will define a generation. It is the next generation. I bet in a few years, all controllers will look somewhat like this - or at least have the features.

The PS3 is next gen because it is using special cell chips that were designed for gaming - it is not just current off the shelf technologies marketed as something new. When I think ov the nes5 I get excited because ov innovations in gameplay and design. When I think ov the ps3 I get excited about innovations in technology. When I think ov the xbox2 I get excited knowing microsoft is loosing billions ov dollars producing a sub par system.

Microsoft has made more software than everyone else, inevitably what will happenen to Microsoft?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:29 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Quote:
Yawn. The term "next -gen" is marketing speak. Pure hype. NES was at the time current hardware. Just as the xbox was current hardware when it launched. (or was there something next gen about a celeron with 32 megs ov ram?)

We'll yeah there was, unless you can name another console that used the exact same design.

Quote:
The xbox2 is current technology. It is an off the shelf multicore mac g5 with added DRM. It runs a special build ov windows 2000. What the (&#$@!) is 'next-gen' about it?

As I said, it's more powerful than the previous 'generation' of consoles and there's no 'other' console that uses that technology, therefore it's next gen.

Quote:
Yarlen, you are smoking crack. the omni-nes is going to be used by small childern and old ladies. Have you seen teh controller? hold it on it's side and it is an almost exact replica ov the old school nes controller. It has a tv remote design that 99% ov the US is very at ease using. it has motion sensor inside, so it can be used as an airmouse. It has a trigger on the bottom so that it can function as a light gun. And it has a module feature, so attachments can be developed. The omni-nes is next gen because it tries something new, something that will define a generation. It is the next generation. I bet in a few years, all controllers will look somewhat like this - or at least have the features.

Cough.... I think you are the one smoking crack here, let me get this straight you think that making a jack of all trades controller is next gen and innovative?

Quote:
When I think ov the nes5 I get excited because ov innovations in gameplay and design.

Innovative gameplay and designs for the elderly and children? wow sounds great I sure can't wait!
We can have such great games as..... pill popper where you have to take the right amount of medication each day or your virtual grandma/grandpa dies.
"Kancho attack 2006!" where you have to prevent school children from penetrating your nether regions with their fingers or "dodge (&#$@!)" where you do the reverse.

Quote:
When I think ov the ps3 I get excited about innovations in technology.

Ugh! why! Sony have always produced sub par technology, the PSP is an excellent example.
Combine the outdated graphics of the playstation 2 with a faulty screen and sold for a mint, brilliant!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:03 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

The solution, of course, is to not bother with shitty console games. Get a decent computer and play CS so I can pwn you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:24 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Quote:
The solution, of course, is to not bother with shitty console games. Get a decent computer and play CS so I can pwn you.

You wish!, you may think that one day maybe I won't pwn you anymore, but that's wrong i'm always gonna pwn you cause i'm the pwnerer it's just what I do. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:51 pm 
Mature, well groomed miniature enthusiast

3y3 4/\/\ 73h p0n3r3r 0\/ j00z!!!!

:P

(actually, I wouldn't trust my machine to run any FPS competitively... except Return-to-Castle-Wolfenstein-Enemy-Territory)

Mrs. Dr. Remulack wrote:
It is not no wonder that USA children are so, forgive me here, fcuked up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:38 pm 
Knight ov Discord

oh, man. I love ET. we will have to set up some games! I'll start a new thread.