Login |  Register |  FAQ

If we were to run a slow paced game who would be interested?

Post subject: If we were to run a slow paced game who would be interested?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:43 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Any preferred systems? How many people got the time for a game? What would you prefer? Fantasy, comtemporary, horror, futuristic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:36 am 
Siege Priest

A contempory horror game would be pretty cool, I imagine a bunch of college paranormal enthuiasts opening up a whole can of W-I-E-R-D!!! and then trying to put it right again.

No preferred system but would prefer not to use a d20 system but not that bothered realy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:19 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Heh, thought I might get back to this. Does anyone want to play a game? If ... I run a game. I don't want to break my books out but I'm thinking of running a Dragon Warriors game since the pdfs have been scanned and placed in Home of the Underdogs. Sort of Medieval fantasy sort of game.

It might not go far if I lose interest. I'm having second thoughts about running the combat since chucking a few dice around my bedroom just feels weird. But I'll be doing the majority of the rolls.

Can I get 3 players for something that might come to nothing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:11 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I think you'd be best off running something fairly generic, with no particular rule system or dice rolling. Just role-playing.

The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity.
With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog, behind which halftruths and untruths can frolic and procreate unmolested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:57 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Heh, can we get McCragge to do a WH40k rpg? Thing is, for the medieval game I was thinking of running a script I did about 13 years ago. I know the chain of events and know what's happening throughout the game.

For any other game I'd have to think about the big script. Also, combats seem to be the main attraction for most rpgs. Hell, what would shadowrun or dn'd or palladium fantasy or whatever be without the combat?

But summarizing combat over 1-2 posts does seem troublesome. It'll take a while to get 3 players to respond to 2 posts on the same combat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:57 pm 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

kharille wrote:
Heh, can we get McCragge to do a WH40k rpg?

What exactly would you need me to do?

Quote:
But summarizing combat over 1-2 posts does seem troublesome. It'll take a while to get 3 players to respond to 2 posts on the same combat.

That is because with an online RPG in a forum type setting, you can't do combat with all the dice rolling and crap that bogs down RPG's in the first place. Instead, like Robbie said, just Role-Playing.

It isn't hard to do and is quite fun.

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:14 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Heh, do a script for a bunch of WH40k players, convincingly get the group together for some reason without killing each other should the party be composed of Orcs, spacemarines, eldar and chaos daemons... or as far as you can imagine.

Hm....

I'm just wondering ... if there's no die rolls, I'm sure a gamemaster can use his own judgements to determine what happens but there it loses the random factor....

I wonder, can we have one or two people to 'share' the responsibility of gamesmastering? Two people to constantly break into each others posts and disrupt the big script? Maybe that might work.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:12 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I'd basically run combat like this:
Thoroughly describe the situation to the players, the players then submit their battle-plans, the games master then gives a description of how the combat turned out. No need for a page of back-and-forth questions and answers to resolve how you shoot an Ork in the face.

I'd sugest you lay down some parameters for the setting, campaign and party, then people can start submitting characters.

The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity.
With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog, behind which halftruths and untruths can frolic and procreate unmolested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:45 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I'm up for it. I can check in every other day. I would prefer a medieval setting, but sci-fi is okay, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:03 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Hm, a fantasy setting would be great since I was originally thinking of running something that I wrote up more than a decade ago. But the intention was to run that by either Dragon Warriors or Palladium Fantasy (Revised).

Then again, maybe we ought to do some wh40k rpg? I'll really have to work from scratch though. Also I'm concerned in case someone knows their fluff better than I do. I'm only familiar with Rogue Trader.

Hm... Maybe I ought to start a new thread and see who joins. Anyone think they would like to join?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:14 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

40K is fantasy. :D
I'm likely to at least submit a character.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:24 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Heh, I'm thinking of starting the main storyline with an introduction. No private correspondence... I think I can visualize it. Now if McCragge would feel free to break in and interupt and maybe run combats maybe.....

But maybe we can start with the one thread and take it from there.

Also, don't get too enthusiastic. I want it to go slow paced so that people don't go checking it too often.

Hold on, I'll get round to the introduction. GMing from scratch, now that'll be a pain....

Come to think of it. Does anyone have a soft copy of 40k rogue trader? I know I got 2 copies but I really don't want to break it out to do some fluff references. I did get the companion from one of those download software someone on this forum recommended but deleted it in the end....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:35 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

kharille wrote:
Heh, I'm thinking of starting the main storyline with an introduction. No private correspondence... I think I can visualize it. Now if McCragge would feel free to break in and interupt and maybe run combats maybe.....

If you are running the game, why do you need me to break in and run the combats.

Besides in a storybased online RPG, you don't need game mechanics to run a combat. This is all about the story, let the characters be heroic. Just make sure the players don't go over board and out of control. I will post up a mock RPG sequence a bit later, (I don't have the time right now)

Quote:
Come to think of it. Does anyone have a soft copy of 40k rogue trader? I know I got 2 copies but I really don't want to break it out to do some fluff references. I did get the companion from one of those download software someone on this forum recommended but deleted it in the end....

By soft copy do you mean on my computer? Or the book in my hot little hands? Cause I do have the book, but nothing on the computer.

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:00 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

If it's just background information you want from Rogue Trader, you should try looking up the "40K Fluff Bible" on file sharing programs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:09 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Well, the thing is if someone else can step in and run an encounter without messing up the main storyline that'll be ideal. I didi this once before, stuck an orc fortress in the man's main story and got the players to escape...

Ah, I'm just a perfectionist. Got ideals about what I would like to run in a game...

Anyway, better get started, else we'll have nothing for the next 5 months like last time..... Well... here goes....