Login |  Register |  FAQ

What character would you make in a 40K RPG?

Post subject: What character would you make in a 40K RPG?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:29 pm 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

If you were going to play in a 40K role-playing game, what kind of character would you make?

Let's make a few assumptions about the campaign and game system.

1. You would be able to choose your race, profession, background, etc and design your character like most modern RPGs instead of being stuck with some kind of all random system (like old school D&D).

2. You character would need to be a low powered starting character. So you couldn't have a space marine, an imperial guard veteran, a full fledge inquisitor, an eldar exarch, daemon prince, etc. But you could have a regular guardsman, an inquisitor trainee/acolyte, an eldar guardian, etc etc.

I suppose the setting of the campaign might determine what sort of character you made. But some possible campaign settings might be...

A. Crew members/retainers of a very minor rogue trader or merchant.

B. Members of an inquisitor's retinue, or agents who have been employed by the same inquisitor on one or more occasions.

C. Members of a local planetary governor's household or security forces.

D. Members of an outlaw or criminal group working against local enforcers and arbites on an imperial hiveworld.

E. Members of some alien race sent on a deep recon mission or cut off from their own lines inside enemy/unchartered territory.

Those are just some ideas of course. All kinds of other things are possible. I'm just curious to see what kinds of personalities and stories people would want to create.

Truckler

The game designers themselves know these values are not realistic and they do not intend them to replace or invalidate the fluff. So let's get on with our lives and not fixate over the cosmic ramifications of game mechanics which we already know are streamlined for larger forces at the expense of detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:42 pm 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

Is that not just =][= without the uber characters? :P

Interesting concept though...

Guess i'd like to be some sort of brave. Like a young Exodite or tribal human. Going through raids and rites of passage and so on. Riding big lizards and using primitive/advanced wargear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:53 pm 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

shiver85 wrote:
Is that not just =][= without the uber characters? :P

Interesting concept though...

Well yes, but it could also be done a lot of different ways. There is going to be an official Warhammer 40,000 role-playing game coming out from Games Workshop. So that might be the game to use for this.

You could also use Inquisitor as you say. But I think that a slightly tweaked version of Necromunda might work as well. Caelwyn did a set of Necromunda-based Inquisitor rules that seemed really neat. On the other hand, I know people that use their favorite RPG rules (D20, GURPS, BESM, Champions, or D6 Hammer) for any genre that thier group plays. :eek:

Mainly I'm interested to see what kind of characters people would make and what parts of the larger 40K setting that people would want to explore.

--------------------

Given the example of the Exodite/primitive human, would you want them to eventually leave their home planet and explore the wider galaxy or just have everything take place on that planet? I can see doing it both ways, either of which would be cool, yet decidedly different.

Truckler

The game designers themselves know these values are not realistic and they do not intend them to replace or invalidate the fluff. So let's get on with our lives and not fixate over the cosmic ramifications of game mechanics which we already know are streamlined for larger forces at the expense of detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:07 pm 
Private
Private

I'd fancy being a Rogue Trader.

Total freedom (for as long as you avoud getting shot) and the choice to operate on either side of the law or just sod the law and operate where there is none.:evil:

I would want to avoid any predefined good or bad and be judged on my own actions, a fledgling RT would be fun i think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:23 pm 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

You interest me strangly old boy...

how about a young exodite/ tribal who ends up working in the retinue of an Inquisitor, Rogue Trader or whatever. Encountering alien races, weird dead cultures etc.

And i came up with a halfway house between Inq and necro. It used d10s instead of D6s so you could have more detail than Necro, but not as much as =][= Wasn't as good as either, but thats more down to my games writing ability, rather than any flaw in the idea.

Have you read Chasm City? Awesome novel. About a hired gun who goes across the vastness of space to get revenge for his dead employer. its not 40k, but its full of good Sci-fi RPG ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:19 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

There is only one system I need for anything: Rifts. :lol: Due to the fact that you can explain crossovers with the simple "It came through a rift" phrase, I think it'd be perfect for a 40k RPG.

Of course, the thing with the Rifts setting is that a lot of the advantages of Space Marines (i.e. Power Armor) are balanced and negated (power armor is relatively common in the Rifts universe, and it doesn't take a genetically engineered superhuman to use it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:22 pm 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

Games like Rifts, BESM, Mutants and Masterminds, etc. are high powered and designed to accommodate superheroes, dragons and other "over the top" characters. Space Marines wouldn't be very impressive in that system, and an Imperial Guard character would just be a grease spot after one hit in combat. I think the RPG Truckler is envisioning would have a much lower power level.
I do wonder how the official 40K RPG will balance these factors.

In any case, I suppose that if I were playing a hypothetical 40K RPG character, I would play a Kroot! A race with decent combat prowess, that likes to travel and explore, good with languages, not as likely to be shot on sight by other species as some....

Actually, I was recently invited to play in a Play By e-Mail 40K RPG. I didn't sign up because I really do not have time for it... and they already had a Kroot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:11 am 
Private
Private

I think i would possibly have a guardsman that has turned to fighting for the greater good after being abandand(sp?) by the imperium during the tau 3rd sphere expansion. that way the character can in theory sneak into human societies and plus with funky tau wargear and such much easier than playing an ork or an eldar character.
But personally I probably wouldnt play a 40k based rpg but thats me. I'll stick to playing Shadowrun.

Cheers
Azza

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:56 am 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

azza wrote:
I think i would possibly have a guardsman that has turned to fighting for the greater good after being abandand(sp?) by the imperium during the tau 3rd sphere expansion. that way the character can in theory sneak into human societies and plus with funky tau wargear and such much easier than playing an ork or an eldar character.
But personally I probably wouldnt play a 40k based rpg but thats me. I'll stick to playing Shadowrun.

Cheers
Azza

Hey Azza, welcome to the Eastern Fringe.

I'm wondering if you couldn't combine your love of Shadowrun and still do a 40K RPG. What is Shadowrun except a game of espionage and sabotage?

Imagine a group of humans, who were citizens of the Tau Empire, that were inserted into the imperium by a stealth equiped Tau Manta. Their mission would be to download specially created tau propaganda messages into the planet's communications network. Maybe they would also target key symbols of imperial power to show the population that the imperium is weak and can't protect them.

Alternately, you could have the players run characters who are agents of an imperial inquisitor. They would undertake missions and assignments given to them by the inquisitor, but the inquisitor himself wouldn't generally go with them. The inquisitor would be like the parties' Mr. Johnson.

It seems to me like there are lots of possibilities.

Truckler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:14 am 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

I haven't heard of anyone doing it, but the Shadowrun rules would probably adapt well to a 40K setting. They includes rules for high-tech weapons and armor, cybernetics, magic (psykers) and fantasy races. Ironically, the existing technology would need to be dumbed down for the Imperium. I think the rules would support any sort of character people wanted to play, though game balance could still be problematic if you had Space Marines and Imperial Guardsmen in the same group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:21 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I'd play an intergalactic Private Detective called Stubgun P.I. He would wear flowery shirts, have an extremely well groomed moustache, drive around in a small red ship and be followed around by a middle-aged English sidekick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:07 am 
Private
Private

Truckler wrote:

Hey Azza, welcome to the Eastern Fringe.

I'm wondering if you couldn't combine your love of Shadowrun and still do a 40K RPG. What is Shadowrun except a game of espionage and sabotage?

Truckler

Dont get me, wrong, im not against a 40k rpg, im all for it, But i dont know what die system it uses.(Big Shadowrun system fan) Plus some parts of it seem a little limited in some regards story line, but thats the fault of the game world/universe its set in, not the game system itself. for example I cant quite imagine a group a couple of elves, a humie and an ork getting along very well in a 40k based rpg like they do in Shadowrun.
But after saying all that Ive got to get back into the rpg group I used to play with. Though they are playing D&D 3.5 at the moment and im not in a real hurry to play that again yet.

Cheers
Azza

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:26 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I don't have much hope for the official 40K role-playing game. Hopefully it will be a good source of campaign ideas and background material, and I guess the rules couldn't be any worse than Inquisitor.
I already have a set of purpose-built 40K role-playing rules, which I think are some of my best work so far.

If forced to play a weak character in a role-play set in the 40K universe, I'd definitely want to play as part of a team, squad, retinue, crew, etc. Preferably with some strong direction in what exactly it is the players get up to. I don't see a lone character, or an idle, directionless group of characters, lasting very long.
I think an Arbite or a member of an Inquisitor's retinue would be best.

By the way, shouldn't this be in the RPG section?

The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity.
With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog, behind which halftruths and untruths can frolic and procreate unmolested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:03 am 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

I can see where a 40K RPG discussion could fit in to either forum. But, the official description of the Warhammer 40K forum is "Discussions of the newest rule sets for Warhammer 40,000" which does not describe this topic at all. Therefore, Robbie is correct and this thread will be moved.
I'm afraid you'll have to limit your posts to appropriate topics in my forums, Truckler!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:19 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Hm... Maybe some kind of Ordo Malleus initiate. That way I can fight daemons without getting killed in the end or having my mind wiped.

Really restrictive according to the ROC fluff. Space Marines get their minds wiped. A bit awkward to have tht since you could annihilate legions just by including bloodletter in an army here or there.

Maybe these daemonic encounters are very rare.