Login |  Register |  FAQ

Do you use miniatures in your RPGs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:45 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

We always used miniatures in my RPG games (D&D, Shadow Run), but it was just a way to give a general idea of where things are, and what's going on. We never measured exact distances. We'd just say "I'm shooting at ork X," or, "I m going to charge the manticore as quickly as I can."

The first time I played, we just used a few lead mini's my older brother had acquired. Later we used lego castle mini-figs, as they are very easy to customize if you have enough people parts and weapons. Plus it was fun to try to build a thri-kreen and a half-giant for the Darksun setting!

Last edited by Adoni-Zedek on Thu May 08, 2008 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:55 am 
Recruit
Recruit

Even if its not neccasary, I often make a miniature for a character I want to remember. But in terms of combat, It does help fan away the fog when it comes to positioning. Some RP groups have a symbiotic imagination and can envision it perfectly, but even then, a crossed word or ill explained manouvre can lead to confusion. It does help, but should by no means be mandatory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:50 am 
Recruit
Recruit

These days, I run two different rulesets, and so have two different thoughts about miniature use. For Savage Worlds, minis are almost necessary. Ranges are in inches, character Pace is in inches, etc. It's designed for that, but it's an RPG that came out of the Great Rail Wars wargame for Deadlands.

I use Savage Worlds for adventure stuff, where swinging across chasms, punching a Nazi alligator, and then sprinting to catch the idol from the bed of the truck as it careens off a cliff seems likely. It rewards that type of gaming, and visually makes some of the crowd scenes work. SW is also the only RPG I've ever played that can take five heroes, forty enemies and a few bad guy lieutenants and play out the entire combat in under two hours... My D&D games used to crawl to a halt if there were more than a dozen goblins.

For more story-oriented games, I do it without minis, no maps, and run everything using FATE, a Fudge-based descriptive system where all of your stats are statements rather than numbers. Battlefields, when they occur, are described as Cluttered or Sinking Rapidly or whatever, and then the words themselves carry the weight of the scene. Imagination is key for those games.

For either system I still advocate using Heromachine for building paper minis just so we know what everyone looks like. Makes it harder to be surprised when we find out the mad scientist's assistant is a bronze automaton that looks like Hadji from Johnny Quest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:24 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

jalinde wrote:
For either system I still advocate using Heromachine for building paper minis just so we know what everyone looks like.

???

http://z3.invisionfree.com/wfbfgu/index.php?act=idx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:12 am 
Recruit
Recruit

This website lets you create pictures of your characters by clicking on various combos of clothing, weapons, hair, masks, backpacks, etc. It can get a little tough if everyone is going for the same specific genre (e.g. I'm not sure how well it would do Necro, but it handles Shadowrun nicely. Similarly, Legend of the 5 Rings would be tough but D&D is no problem.)

I use it for most of my games, particularly big bads and important NPCs. You just Print Screen and save them to an image program, edit them to your heart's content and print them out on cardstock. I'll even make extras so I've got one faded out for Invisible, flaming aura for special powers, etc. Cheap as buying index cards.

Even if you don't print 'em out, you can always email folks the code and they can look up what your character looks like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:28 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Very nice. Thanks for that.

http://z3.invisionfree.com/wfbfgu/index.php?act=idx