Login |  Register |  FAQ
   
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

Steel Gauntlet pt1
Poll ended at Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:35 am
Return to real space 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Stay in the Warp 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 5

Choose Your Own Adventure! The Steel Gauntlet pt1

 Post subject: Choose Your Own Adventure! The Steel Gauntlet pt1
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:35 am 
Offline
Astro-Path
Astro-Path
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:02 pm
Posts: 3821
Location: Valic IV
I thought I would give this a try here on the Eastern Fringe. I am sure many of you (if not all) have read a Choose Your Own Adventure (CYOA) book. For those of you who have not, the premise is pretty simple. You follow along in the story, but you get to decide the fate of our would be hero.

So, this is how it is going to work on the Eastern Fringe. I will write up a section of the story, and at the end of it, you will get to vote on what action to take from the options listed. The voting will run for one week. After which, the story will continue based on the highest voted option.

I do encourage people to respond, make comments and suggestions. However it is only the votes that will determine the next course of action.

So, on with the story!

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

The Steel Gauntlet

Many Rogue Traders have traveled this part of the galaxy but none have dared to go so deep into the uncharted space of the Eastern Fringe. But you, Wyn Gunter, are desperate.

It is rumored that only in the depths of unknown space, on an unhospitable planet, can you find the antidote to the poison that is slowly killing you. Luckily, you managed to "acquire" a star chart to this planet off of an unsavory looking Kroot Mercenary back on Bendano III.

The intercomm comes alive. "Captain Wyn," It is the slow drawling voice of your Lieutenant. "The Navigator is suggesting we return to normal space. He can no longer see the Astronomicon and he fears a warp storm maybe approaching."

A Warp storm. Just what you need. But so close to the Star system. To enter real space may take on another 3 to 4 weeks. Certainly the poison won't wait that long to kill you. On the other hand, with out site of the Astronomicon and risking the entrance into a warp storm could maroon you and your crew to living forever in the warp.

Will you return to real space and take the chance that the slow acting poison won't kill you before you reach the uncharted planet? (turn to page 42)

Or will you risk not only your life, but that of your crew and stay in the warp, and get to the star system in only a day or two? (Turn to page 19)

_________________
Deadlands 3000 - A Retro style MMORPG set in a Post Apocalyptic wasteland, as close as you will get to Necromunda in a browser game.


Last edited by McCragge on Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:11 am 
Offline
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 6:56 am
Posts: 296
Hell, if I was playing safe I'd stay on Terra and write my will. Stay in the warp!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:37 pm 
Offline
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:06 am
Posts: 3736
Location: Roaming the Eastern Fringe
This sounds like an interesting idea. But I have a few questions and thoughts. Is McCragge basically going to write the whole story based on our collective decisions? That sounds cool, but why not let the other forum members submit their own take on things and then at the end of the week have people vote based on the submissions?

For instance here is my submission for the first installment:

===========================================

Something inside of you tells you to keep going, to say in the warp and risk the storm. Its not that you feel that the storm isn't out there, that it isn't coming. Somehow you can feel it approaching, rushing toward your ship like a terrific and violent wave in the ether. At the same time you know that beyond that storm, shining like a brilliant light is what you've been searching for. Its more than just the antidote, its something bigger, much bigger.

You're not sure how you know this. Your grandmother was a psyker, but you never felt like you had the gift. Maybe you do have some latent ability? Or maybe its the poison in your blood stream? Maybe its already begun to attack your mind?

You hit the button on the intercom to reply to your lieutenant, "Standby, I'm coming to the bridge."

* * *

You arrive on the bridge and take your seat in the captain's chair. You turn to look at Lannolis, the ship's navigator. His tall frame, pale and thin, is reclining in the navigator's station. His eyes are closed even though you can't see them in their dark sunken sockets and with the tangle of wires and cables that make up the control crown he wears over his bald head. But you know he can sense you, that he is perhaps watching you even while he navigates the ship through the chaos of warpspace.

"Stay this course Lannolis" you command, "sound general quarters. Strap yourselves in folks, this is going to be a rough ride."

* * *

The bridge buckles jarring the crew members in their accelleration couches. The sound of growning metal rings through the cabin carried by vibrations in the ship's very hull. As it dies down the ongoing blaring of a half dozen warning tones and sirens can be heard filling the air. Acrid smoke fills the bridge backlit by red emergency lights. You pause to listening to the cacophany, picking out the individual sounds and their meaning... the ship as successfully re-entered real space, structure damage has occured, fires are reported on multiple decks, engine damage has occured, primary power has been lost, back up power is online, and the list goes on.

"Turn off that damned racket!" you shout. It takes a moment for a crewman to respond. Your lieutenant and other members of the bridge crew are shooting hand flamers filled with fire retardant at the fires burning throughout the bridge. The flames dealt with they return to their seats. "Sir," announces a crewman just returned to his post, "our communications are dead and our sensors seem to be down as well."

"Fire thrusters, full stop!" commands your lieutenant without awaiting your order. "We must have lost our antennas and sensor apparatus during our re-entry, sir."

You glance at the flight recorder on the console in front of you. The ship was only in warpspace 14.5 hours before Lannolis brought you out of the warp. You turn to look at the navigator. He looks white as alabaster, what little color he normally has is totally gone. Inspite of the heat from fires in the bridge he is shivering feverishly, the fingers of his hands are curled feebly his arms brought close to his chest. He looks up at you, voice shaking and faint, "...storm too strong... should have been destroyed... found some kind of channel in the storm... road it here... have arrived." With that the Lannolis' body goes limp, his head dropping forward to hang by the cables of his control crown.

"Sir," announces your lieutenant, "sensors are down, but we have a visual from one of the forward cameras. I'm putting it on the main screen." An image flickers to life on the giant vid-panel at the front of the bridge. Debri from destroyed spacecraft hangs thick in space before the camera's eye. Some of it is human, some of it from recognizeable alien races, some of it completely unknown. Some of it appears quite old, but most of it is surely ancient. "Panning camera starboard sir," announces the lieutenant. The image moves bringing a brilliant yellow orange sun into view behind the floating wreckage. The image keeps moving and finally stops on a brilliant crescent where light reflects off what can only be the atmosphere of a planet.

================================

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking about. Where people add little tiny posts that sort of suggest what happens when the course they suggest is taken. Of course they don't have to be NEARLY as long as mine. I got carried away. :eek: And then McCragge and incorporate the winning suggestion and as much of the suggested material as he sees fit into his next installment of the story.

So my vote is for "Stay in the Warp". But I'm not gonna vote in the poll just yet. Maybe somebody else will post with a better idea of what might happen if we (Wyn) came out of the warp.


Truckler (Brevity is the soul of wit.)

_________________
Venator wrote:
The game designers themselves know these values are not realistic and they do not intend them to replace or invalidate the fluff. So let's get on with our lives and not fixate over the cosmic ramifications of game mechanics which we already know are streamlined for larger forces at the expense of detail.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:50 am 
Offline
Astro-Path
Astro-Path
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:02 pm
Posts: 3821
Location: Valic IV
yeah, I suppose we could do it that way too

_________________
Deadlands 3000 - A Retro style MMORPG set in a Post Apocalyptic wasteland, as close as you will get to Necromunda in a browser game.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:53 am 
Offline
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 6:56 am
Posts: 296
Heh, that was good work but we'd best keep it short. Can I introduce the ships doctor? If we keep it short it also means less time to read through all the text.

Best to let McCragge decide on where the story leads....


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:30 am 
Offline
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:06 am
Posts: 3736
Location: Roaming the Eastern Fringe
McCragge wrote:
yeah, I suppose we could do it that way too


I suppose it all depends upon what people (especially McCragge) have in mind. Maybe we should make it so that people are free to offer suggestions, but that McCragge has the ultimate say so. I mean suppose that no one offers any suggestions one week? Or what if only one suggestion is offered and its really bad?

I think maybe what I was thinking about was more story telling oriented, including participation from the readers. Maybe we don't yet have a critical mass for that sort of thing??

Maybe if this were under the story telling section it would get more views/interest?


Truckler

_________________
Venator wrote:
The game designers themselves know these values are not realistic and they do not intend them to replace or invalidate the fluff. So let's get on with our lives and not fixate over the cosmic ramifications of game mechanics which we already know are streamlined for larger forces at the expense of detail.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:11 am 
Offline
Astro-Path
Astro-Path
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:02 pm
Posts: 3821
Location: Valic IV
Get your votes in quick, only one more day left!

McCragge

_________________
Deadlands 3000 - A Retro style MMORPG set in a Post Apocalyptic wasteland, as close as you will get to Necromunda in a browser game.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:16 am 
Offline
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:06 am
Posts: 3736
Location: Roaming the Eastern Fringe
Who voted to exit the warp? Come on, Wyn Gunter isn't some wimpy chump who's going to let some silly force of nature stop him from his mission.

Maybe there would be an extra choice....

C. Stay in the warp an extra week just to show you aren't to be messed with (turn to page 29).



Truckler

_________________
Venator wrote:
The game designers themselves know these values are not realistic and they do not intend them to replace or invalidate the fluff. So let's get on with our lives and not fixate over the cosmic ramifications of game mechanics which we already know are streamlined for larger forces at the expense of detail.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:30 am 
Offline
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 6:56 am
Posts: 296
Option D: Shoot the Navigator for lacking faith in the emperor!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

cron

Powered by phpBB ® Forum Software © phpBB Group