Login |  Register |  FAQ

Preview available for Dark Heresy (Warhammer 40K RPG)

Post subject: Preview available for Dark Heresy (Warhammer 40K RPG)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:59 am 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

As most of you know, Black Industries is working on a 40K RPG. This week they released a teaser mini-adventure which includes quick play rules and four sample characters. I have not looked at it very closely yet, but here it is in PDF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:52 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

i dnt understand 40k rpg. surely u just get the biggest gun and nothing can touch you..... and get a power weapon in case something comes close. band.....slash.....big gribbly is down for the count.

Other than that. it sounds kwl. i like WFRPG and it seems that both WF and 40k RPG's are both based on a similar kinda system as D&D but a little more simplified.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:39 am 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

This game does not seem to have the clearly defined roles of D&D, but there are still many challenges that cannot be overcome with brute force. Because it is a role-playing game, a lot of it involves dealing with people, some of whom might be loyal to the Imperium or nor. Even the loyal ones are not guaranteed to fall all over themselves trying to obey your every wish. You're not playing an inquisitor, just a flunky. The loyal planetary governor, anxious to fix things without the involvement of the Inquisition, may be tight with information. That overworked bureaucrat may not put your request at the top of his list. Nothing you can do with a power sword and storm bolter will get that done. The characters might need to disarm a bomb or decipher Eldar script. In any case, it's not intended to be totally combat-oriented, though you could choose to run it that way....

The game takes place in a little chunk of the Imperium called the Calixis Sector. The background they have come up with ranges from the "yeah, that's how it should be" to the "what the heck?".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:56 am 
Mature, well groomed miniature enthusiast

Venator wrote:
In any case, it's not intended to be totally combat-oriented, though you could choose to run it that way....
...with a little book called Rogue Trader :P :D

Mrs. Dr. Remulack wrote:
It is not no wonder that USA children are so, forgive me here, fcuked up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:18 am 
Cadet
Cadet

mujadaddy wrote:
Venator wrote:
In any case, it's not intended to be totally combat-oriented, though you could choose to run it that way....

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

I heard that, in fact why bother with anything else, you can do it all with RT :lol:

Glen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:10 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Falchion wrote:
i dnt understand 40k rpg. surely u just get the biggest gun and nothing can touch you..... and get a power weapon in case something comes close. band.....slash.....big gribbly is down for the count.

It doesn't quite work like that.
There are three versions of the 40K RPG planned, each with a different focus.
The first one has you playing as Inquisitorial acolytes, primarily working as investigators.
By all indications, your starting characters are approximately equivalent to Guardsmen, have next to no authority, and can barely requisition a stub gun.
You might end up a combat monster with a suit of power armour, a plasma cannon and a power sword one day, but playing the game as the designers intend, you certainly don't start out anything like that.

The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity.
With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog, behind which halftruths and untruths can frolic and procreate unmolested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:08 am 
Mature, well groomed miniature enthusiast

Wolfen wrote:
mujadaddy wrote:
Venator wrote:

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

I heard that, in fact why bother with anything else, you can do it all with RT :lol:

Glen
RT+WHFRP+Love=40k Goodness ;)

Mrs. Dr. Remulack wrote:
It is not no wonder that USA children are so, forgive me here, fcuked up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:04 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Falchion wrote:
surely u just get the biggest gun and nothing can touch you.....

Actually, you just get flak armor apparently...

I just ran to demo for some friends back home the other day. It went quite well. Strong mutants are kind of scary. So is the character Mir.

The game looks really promising. I'm looking forward to nabbing a copy of it when it is released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:21 am 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

Venator wrote:
This game does not seem to have the clearly defined roles of D&D, but there are still many challenges that cannot be overcome with brute force. Because it is a role-playing game, a lot of it involves dealing with people, some of whom might be loyal to the Imperium or nor. Even the loyal ones are not guaranteed to fall all over themselves trying to obey your every wish. You're not playing an inquisitor, just a flunky. The loyal planetary governor, anxious to fix things without the involvement of the Inquisition, may be tight with information. That overworked bureaucrat may not put your request at the top of his list. Nothing you can do with a power sword and storm bolter will get that done. The characters might need to disarm a bomb or decipher Eldar script. In any case, it's not intended to be totally combat-oriented, though you could choose to run it that way....

I like the way that they have set things up, from what I have seen so far. And that is based mainly on what you have said Venator and from what I have read in the sample adventure (I'm still not finished reading it).

It seems like the players start out as very inexperienced flunkies of their inquisitor sponsor. In the sample adventure the PC's inquisitor seems hesitant to send them on the mission by themselves and the local imperial forces seem disheartened to learn that the four player characters are all the has been sent to help them.

I have long been a fan of the more low end, low powered type gaming and fiction. The whole idea of your sort of regular everyman struggling to get by in the grim 41st millennium seems much more exciting and interesting than the over the top stories of the genres' super heroes. Dark Heresy, at least this first book, seems to focus on the player characters as low level operatives, mere troubleshooters, of an inquisitor.

Working for an inquisitor also seems like a fantastic setup for a role-playing campaign. It gives the characters some status in the larger world with both responsibilities and (some) influence. I have long thought that investing the PCs with a stake in the campaign world and its society makes them role play better than if they are unattached wonderers in search of experience and loot (the type of gaming made popular in your typical D&D type campaign).

The inquisitor as sponsor also has other unique and potentially interesting aspects. The GM always has the ability to have the inquisitor intervene to aid the players in large or small ways. Perhaps the inquisitor could send minor reinforcements or supplies to aid the players as they go. In a worst case scenario the GM could even have the inquisitor swoop in and save the day ala the cavalry riding in. It might be more cinematic and true to the genre if the parties' failure ends in their demise and a major victory for the forces struggling against the imperium. Then a new campaign could be started the places the events of the first campaign in the background. (As I think about it, it seems like such a good idea that I half want to waste a party so that I can create a rich and uniquely personalized background for the sequel campaign. Some how I'm not sure the players would appreciate it as much.)

I again want to recognize Mr. Thorp for his fine work defining the inquisition in 40K as such a varied and diverse organization complete with opposing philosophies and infighting. I think that you could play Dark Heresy as a sort of serious version of Paranoia. The players are all fairly new agents of the inquisition so they might have seriously different goals and motivations for risking their lives in the service of inquisitor and imperium. The sample characters in the demo adventure certainly have varied backgrounds and motives. In the oppressive society of 40K the players as inquisitorial acolytes will constantly be presented with opportunities (large and small) to be corrupted and tempted. Everything becomes so vague and shadowy. Who should the players be loyal to? To their inquisitor? To the imperium? To themselves? Can they trust the local imperial officials? Can they trust one another? Can they even trust their own master? Inquisitors have been known to callously use or sacrifice their own men for the higher cause of keeping the imperium safe (or simply furthering their own ends).

Lots of plots, sub-plots and general confusion and ambiguity present themselves to the gamemaster running a Dark Heresy campaign.

Venator wrote:
The game takes place in a little chunk of the Imperium called the Calixis Sector. The background they have come up with ranges from the "yeah, that's how it should be" to the "what the heck?".

What about the Calixis Sector do you like and not like? What parts seem to conflict with the established setting?

Truckler (Make a savings throw McCragge or your character is toast!)

The game designers themselves know these values are not realistic and they do not intend them to replace or invalidate the fluff. So let's get on with our lives and not fixate over the cosmic ramifications of game mechanics which we already know are streamlined for larger forces at the expense of detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:51 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I still haven't seen a copy, but the more I hear about Dark Heresy the less-good it sounds.
In a roundabout way, the actual play and advancement mechanics seem very Dungeons & Dragons.
It's not even a serviceable generic 40K RPG, more like Cthulhu in space.
The book is 400 pages long, features mostly recycled art, and from what I can gather, not all that much useful background.
If what I'm led to believe is true, then I don't know how they managed to fill 400 pages with so little content.
Probably page after page of D100 tables...

Did I ever tell you guys how much I hate tables?

The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity.
With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog, behind which halftruths and untruths can frolic and procreate unmolested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:23 am 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

Truckler wrote:
It seems like the players start out as very inexperienced flunkies of their inquisitor sponsor. In the sample adventure the PC's inquisitor seems hesitant to send them on the mission by themselves and the local imperial forces seem disheartened to learn that the four player characters are all the has been sent to help them.

I have long been a fan of the more low end, low powered type gaming and fiction. The whole idea of your sort of regular everyman struggling to get by in the grim 41st millennium seems much more exciting and interesting than the over the top stories of the genres' super heroes. Dark Heresy, at least this first book, seems to focus on the player characters as low level operatives, mere troubleshooters, of an inquisitor.
One of the things I HATE about D&D and d20 games in general is that all characters are assumed to start out as inept morons who can't shoot straight or be considered competent with any skills. The newbie characters in the module have do a 40% chance to hit with their best weapon skill, which (if I understand the rules correctly) is at least an improvement.

Truckler wrote:
What about the Calixis Sector do you like and not like? What parts seem to conflict with the established setting?
I wouldn't say that it contradicts the 40K setting, which is already pretty over the top. However, many of the planets are made "interesting" by giving them a bizarre gimmick. There's the "Logan's Run" planet where nobody can live to be 41. There's the agri-planet where everything is grey and drab, even the plants and the people. Colored items are highly valued but must be imported because (it seems) even high-tech chemistry cannot manufacture them on-planet. Huh?

RobbieBuckshotLaFunk wrote:
In a roundabout way, the actual play and advancement mechanics seem very Dungeons & Dragons.
It does have classes and levels, even if they call them something different. Far better systems have been developed in the decades since D&D came out, but authors still find it easy to fall back on the tired old standard.

If what I'm led to believe is true, then I don't know how they managed to fill 400 pages with so little content.
Probably page after page of D100 tables...

Did I ever tell you guys how much I hate tables?
Well, if the demo adventure and the material on the web site is representative of the book itself, it should be fairly table-free. You must have loved Role Master and MERP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:42 am 
Enforcer

It is pretty table free, at least half of the tables are actually reference lists masqurading as tables.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:44 am 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

Actually it seems very Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play to me, which is sustantially different from D&D. I'm not sure how faithful/similar it is to the old WFRP rules that I used to GM in high school, but its seems like a more or less straight conversion with some hindsight.

In those long ago games of WFRP many moons ago the characters never became overly powerful, no one PC hacking his way through 100+ one hit dice creatures type stuff. Though under my GMing we never really focused on shooting up levels, but I always felt the system was more rooted in realism than heroism.

It's not even a serviceable generic 40K RPG, more like Cthulhu in space.

I think that's a safe bet. No one should be buying this game for anything but use as a 40K rpg.

The book is 400 pages long, features mostly recycled art, and from what I can gather, not all that much useful background.

I have seen the book and thumbed through it. It seems as though they have done a great job with the book. I don't buy White Dwarf regularly, nor do I read many 40K novels and I don't own any 40K universe books or suppliments. So I like having a book dense with fluff. Of course I know all the basics about the 40K universe. One of the things that make role-playing suppliments great is the great background and fluff in them. I know of few dedicated role-players (and others besides) who don't love to simply read well written background material. From what I have heard and seen, Dark Heresy contains new fluff about the regular imperium populated by normal folks and not the same tired old fluff about epic mega battles and special characters. That alone is worth the price of admission.

More later, I have to get back to work. :(

Truckler

The game designers themselves know these values are not realistic and they do not intend them to replace or invalidate the fluff. So let's get on with our lives and not fixate over the cosmic ramifications of game mechanics which we already know are streamlined for larger forces at the expense of detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:48 am 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

Venator wrote:
One of the things I HATE about D&D and d20 games in general is that all characters are assumed to start out as inept morons who can't shoot straight or be considered competent with any skills. The newbie characters in the module have do a 40% chance to hit with their best weapon skill, which (if I understand the rules correctly) is at least an improvement.

I'm not sure that the characters in Dark Heresy are "inept morons." I do like that they don't have to be totally combat oriented battlemasters. The characters in the sample adventure do seem to be fairly action oriented however. Even the middle aged ex-factory worker seems like he could sooner solve most problems with force than any decent recourse to sluething or investigation.

I always supposed that a 40K RPG would let you play all manner of characters and types of citizens from across the 40K universe. Also everything that we know about inquisitors (from the =I= game and the 40K codexes) tells us that they have interesting and varied retinues of followers. In Dark Heresy can you effectively play scribes, savants, chirurgeons, astropaths, etc, etc? Or does the system presume that your party will be strictly inquisitorial acolytes?

Venator wrote:
Truckler wrote:
I wouldn't say that it contradicts the 40K setting, which is already pretty over the top. However, many of the planets are made "interesting" by giving them a bizarre gimmick. There's the "Logan's Run" planet where nobody can live to be 41. There's the agri-planet where everything is grey and drab, even the plants and the people. Colored items are highly valued but must be imported because (it seems) even high-tech chemistry cannot manufacture them on-planet. Huh?

Heh heh. Yes, that is a bit weird. I think that they have to do something to make planets stand out so that every world in the imperium isn't either a hiveworld or semi-feudal backwater. Though I agree with you that the above choices do sound rather lame and amatuerish.

Truckler (Can I still play a Rat Catcher?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:10 am 
Enforcer

Truckler wrote:
I always supposed that a 40K RPG would let you play all manner of characters and types of citizens from across the 40K universe. Also everything that we know about inquisitors (from the =I= game and the 40K codexes) tells us that they have interesting and varied retinues of followers. In Dark Heresy can you effectively play scribes, savants, chirurgeons, astropaths, etc, etc? Or does the system presume that your party will be strictly inquisitorial acolytes?)

There was intention to widen the scope of careers in Rogue Trader, but we'll never see that RPG now.

The inquisitor classes are:
Adepts - Including Scribes, Chirurgeons, Loremasters and the like
Arbitratiors - Enforcers, Judges
Assassins
Clerics - Missionaries, Priests, Redemptionists
Guardsman - Shock Troopers, Snipers, Commanders
Psykers
Scum - criminal types
and Tech-Priests

Each class is modular in design, you have x number of ranks and some of them are split into 'career choices' for example the guardsman reaches a point where he can decide to be a Shock Trooper, Sniper or a Commanders.

Each rank has a selection of upgrades you can purchase within it, which cost a certain amount of exp. Once you've earned X amount of exp you progress up a rank and get the options of that rank (plus any from the previous rank you may not have already taken).

Because experience isn't exactly provided in bucket loads you're not going to get every advance in a rank, so there is massive scope for variation between even say two guardsmen of the same rank.

While you can't hop about between careers - you pick one from the start and stick with it - you have incredible flexibility of development inside your career. You can build an Arbitrator that drives vehicles and hits people with clubs or you could make one that specialises in interrogation and shooting. I suspect they went with this design as it evokes the feel of the Imperium (where people are railroaded into lifetime careers) and the way an inquistorial group would operate.

Sadly we've only got 1/3rd of the complete RPG setting here, but we'll have to make do.