Login |  Register |  FAQ

PnP Groups

Post subject: PnP Groups
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:44 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

I was just wondering if people still had PnP groups? With the internet and online RPG games I would think that PnP would go the way of the dinosaurs. After all you can play anytime you want to without worrying someone in your group isn't in the mood. Or the DM isn't prepared or any of that.

My last attempts to play DnD in a real life format was an exercise in frustration to say the least and have resigned to getting all my RPG fixes on line.

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:44 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Yup! We meet ever Tuesday nights after work. Play for about 5 hours. Mainly we play D&D. But if we have too many no shows we run fast RPG's that we made up rules for. I posted them in the past. Or we play 40K or Necromunda.

We have a blast playing anything. The fact that we always have 3 to 9 people show up helps. Not to mention a few cases of beer with pizzia, sub sandwiches or Chinese for dinner :chaos

I also have a group that meets one Saturday a month for D&D. Has most of the weekly people and few extras. Normal size is 7 people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:47 pm 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

I have not had a stable, live RPG group for over a year. My current irregular group is taking the holiday season off. MMORPGs have kept me from going in to withdrawls, but they're really not a substitute for a serious RPG group. I have recently signed up on a web site that does play-by-email RPGs. Although they are slower-paced than any live game, PBeM games do allow you to put a lot more thought and detail into your actions and can make for a better RPG experience than a live game in some ways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:51 pm 
Enforcer

I find MMOs to be a soulless echo of a PnP RPG group. Playing once a week with my friends is more of a social event than sitting down and playing online with them, or even worse with random e-people who I've never 'met' before. I tend to avoid MMOs as a consequence and only dabble with Guild Wars because it plays well solo and has an interesting story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:44 pm 
Mature, well groomed miniature enthusiast

Until I moved to Colorado Jan '07, I had basically the same core 4 people in our group for 7+ years... We'd rotate some people in, sometimes running an 8-person game (yikes -- can't get much done, PLUS the munchies run out much quicker :D ), but usually we'd run 4-6 people, including the GM.

Mostly we played West End d6 and BESM, but there were occasional d20 Star Wars & D&D games...

McC, I think the fault lies in the damn d20 system -- wayyyyy to hard to maintain focus on a game in that system... :D

Mrs. Dr. Remulack wrote:
It is not no wonder that USA children are so, forgive me here, fcuked up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:32 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

mujadaddy wrote:
McC, I think the fault lies in the damn d20 system -- wayyyyy to hard to maintain focus on a game in that system... :D

It doesn't help that they just released a "Rules Compendium" about the size of all of the other D&D supplements just to keep track of all the new rules introduced by the supplements!!!

Also, how many books did WotC release in 3/3.5, then announce "We're going to a 4th edition!", completely devastating those that bought as many of the aforementioned books as possible? Though I no longer get to PnP, I'm selling my 3/3.5 books to a girlfriend of a coworker, since her group is fliping WotC the finger and will continue with 3/3.5, seeing as how they've plunked down who knows how much into their existing library...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:01 pm 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

fen wrote:
I find MMOs to be a soulless echo of a PnP RPG group.
Roleplaying isn't something that automatically happens when you crack open the books and roll the dice. Many people play D&D for years and never roleplay.
Min-max for uber combat power, kill things, take their loot, rinse and repeat.

MMORPGs are much like PnP games in this respect. A good MMORPG will provide you with the tools to roleplay, but it is ultimately the players that make it happen. I've had some very good roleplaying experiences in online games, and some very bad PnP games.

fen wrote:
Playing once a week with my friends is more of a social event than sitting down and playing online with them, or even worse with random e-people who I've never 'met' before.
Some of the best RPG sessions I've had have been one-shots with people I have never met before. In fact, I pay good money each year to play with strangers because I enjoy it.

When my friends and I play an RPG, we all know what sort of behavior is considered acceptable and we all all know each other's preferences and comfort zones. Even if we're all roleplaying, we all still know what to expect. The great thing about roleplaying at a gaming convention or online with strangers is that you only know what they tell you or show you. If they stay in character and really roleplay, they ARE their characters because you don't know the real person sitting there. Likewise, all they know about you is what you show them, and they have to interract with you on that basis. That's really roleplaying.

fen wrote:
I tend to avoid MMOs as a consequence and only dabble with Guild Wars because it plays well solo and has an interesting story.
One of the benefits of (most) MMORPGs is that they are solo friendly. Between group sessions, you can roleplay by yourself if you are so inclined. Sometimes I find that I am so interested in the story that I don't want any other players around to interfere with my enjoyment of it!

Though PnP games have their advantages, they also require a lot of planning and coordination. It requires an act of Congress to get all of my friends away from their wives, kids and jobs for an afternoon, much less a regular campaign. PBeM games and MMORPGs are both easier to play in many respects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:04 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

To everyones point I have had hot and cold MMO experiences. I was in a good game for about a year when the GM just quit. :-(

As for D&D rules, we went to the 3.0 when wizards took over the system. Then 3.5 came out a few of us picked up books. Then we decided that we weren't going to buy any more of the add on books. So we use just use the core rule books. Players guide, 3.5 DM's guide and the Monster manuals.
If someone wants to do something newer they have to provide the information. We have already decided that we will not be buying anything 4.0 from Wizards.

I think half the fun of the PnP is the fact that you get to BS with everyone on the side. We do get carried away once in a while but that is one of the pluses to me.

As for role playing we have some good actors. In fact we had to pull the barbarian off the paladin last week as the two of them were in character too the extreme on an issue. I have also seen role playing go into fist fights in the front yard at 11:00pm. Needless to say both players were asked not to come back until they grew up. One was 26 the other was 31.

Our group runs from 22 years old to me at 48. Yup I am the old man of the group and they don't let me forget. :lol:

I started RPGing in 1978, my brother and his friends got me playing Chainmail, the game system that evolved into the 1st D&D game.

I have played numerous PnP game since then. As well as MMOs.

But I still enjoy sitting around a table with some people and dice and having a good time. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Forgot to mention earlier that I would LOVE to play some d20 Modern (sans the Massive Damage rule, which really is just too realistic and takes the fun out of the game), since I've bought literally EVERY books WotC has produced on the subject (and even some that THEY didn't produce!).

Unfortunately, finding a group is, well, tough, especially given that I won't just find a random group of strangers to play with. My friends are either uninterested, gone (some as far away as India!), or too addicted to Necromunda/40K to care! For that last group, I'm hoping that when the 40K RPG comes out in February that maybe I'll be able to convince them to try that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:47 pm 
Mature, well groomed miniature enthusiast

mafiacheese wrote:
Forgot to mention earlier that I would LOVE to play some d20 Modern (sans the Massive Damage rule, which really is just too realistic and takes the fun out of the game)
Pick up a BESM book. They do modern better than anyone, and you can "dial-your-own-realism"...

Mrs. Dr. Remulack wrote:
It is not no wonder that USA children are so, forgive me here, fcuked up!