Login |  Register |  FAQ

Modelling for Dark Heresy?

Post subject: Modelling for Dark Heresy?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:38 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Anyone plan on modelling minis for Dark Heresy? Since I don't get to play 40K or Necromunda anymore I figured that it would be a good use of my time to create models for DH, assuming I can get a group together for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:29 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

It would seem to be a big no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:43 am 
Enforcer

Oh, sorry. I hardly ever look in the RPG section. The answer is yes. But that's because we use my Necromunda Collection for the majority of models and imperial guard miniatures for the rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:01 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Oh. Reason I ask is because I'm planning on doing some modelling for DH, but can't seem to find a diverse amount of models within Games Workshop's own range to suit my needs.

By career path:

Adepts: A few of the WH/DH henchmen work alright, but otherwise not a whole lot of options.

Abritrators: Obviously Necro enforcers would work just fine, or conversions of SM Scouts with Cadian Guard heads. I could even see Van Saar models doing alright as well, but again, not too many options.

Assassins: 3/4 Temple assassins work well, as well as the Death Cult ones, but that's all I could muster up.

Clerics: More options here. Obviously priests from 40K range, as well as WFB Warrior Priests, Necro Redemptionists, and Mordheim CoC (kind of a stretch, I know).

Guardsmen: So many options here that I'm not having a problem modelling them. :) Mainly just a matter of personalizing them, doing weapon swaps, etc.

Psykers: Obviously Imperial Psykers. Also thought WFB Empire Wizards would be okay, as well as the Elf Mage from Mordheim. That's all I could muster up.

Scum: Another good one. Practically the entire Necro range, with Catachans thrown in for good measure. ;)

Tech-Priests: 2 models. Wow.

I've spent the past couple of days "researching" miniatures from other lines (Warmachine, Anima Tactics, Dark Age Games, Urban Mammoth, Madpuppet, Rezolution...to name a few). While I've found tons of models, very few suited me as being good for Tech-Priests, Psykers, and Adepts (aka the non-combat classes). I was just curious to see what kinds of things people had done, but I guess that kinda thing goes under a different topic.

So far all I've really put effort into finding were models for the career paths. Some companies would have great models for adversaries (human, demonic, and xeno alike) and inquisitors, but those weren't really what I've been aiming for lately.

Thanks for the reply, though. I was beginning to think that everyone's blown off Dark Heresy altogether. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:14 am 
Enforcer

I've found the Witch/Demonhunter Henchmen to be exceptionally useful. A lot of the career classes in DH are based on the models in those sets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:03 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

mafiacheese wrote:
Thanks for the reply, though. I was beginning to think that everyone's blown off Dark Heresy altogether. :(
That would be my recommended course of action.
The Warhammer 40,000 universe is an excellent setting for role-playing, but the Dark Heresy rules are not a good facilitator.
How thick are Game$ Work$hop? A range of somewhat generic Imperial citizens and character archetype models is one of few things I'd actually buy from them these days.

The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity.
With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog, behind which halftruths and untruths can frolic and procreate unmolested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:17 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

RobbieBuckshotLaFunk wrote:
mafiacheese wrote:
That would be my recommended course of action.
The Warhammer 40,000 universe is an excellent setting for role-playing, but the Dark Heresy rules are not a good facilitator.
How thick are Game$ Work$hop? A range of somewhat generic Imperial citizens and character archetype models is one of few things I'd actually buy from them these days.

Unfortunately, until someone else comes out with another, better system, I'm going to work with what I have. ::shrugs:: Any fan-made system seems equally broken or incomplete, and conversions of systems like Wizard's d20 system just seem lazy.

My only real problem with DH is the number of typos and errors within the book. They must have the laziest editors over there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:01 pm 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Eh, "broken" matters alot less in an RPG. Some of the best times I've had were with REALLY poor game systems.

As for models, look strongly at Urban Mammoth. They have alot of minis that would make good civilians (Militia), assasins, officers, and other things. These will be available soon from the Warstore.

For psykers, I really like the warcasters from Warmachine. Especially the Stormsmiths. I thought about getting some for my Wyrd gang, but they were a little too "polished" for the underhive.

Disclaimer: If I've called something by the wrong name or misspelled something, it's because I don't have any interest the games, just use the minis for Necro (oh and Warjacks make killer Epic titans!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:00 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

consectari wrote:
Eh, "broken" matters alot less in an RPG. Some of the best times I've had were with REALLY poor game systems.

As for models, look strongly at Urban Mammoth. They have alot of minis that would make good civilians (Militia), assasins, officers, and other things. These will be available soon from the Warstore.

For psykers, I really like the warcasters from Warmachine. Especially the Stormsmiths. I thought about getting some for my Wyrd gang, but they were a little too "polished" for the underhive.

I'd also have to say that it depends a lot on who's running the game and who's playing it. It could be a great system run by a (&#$@!) DM/GM (not fun) or a lousy system run by a fun DM/GM (fun); it goes the same way with the quality (and, to an extent, quantity) of players involved as well.

I'd already looked into Urban Mammoth, and found models that would work well (IMO) for Arbitrators (Junkers and some VASA guys), Assassins (Syntha ladies), Guardsmen (Viridian troops), and Scum (the civilians).

Privateer Press (Warmachine guys) also has figures for a game called Iron Kingdoms (I got a bunch in an eBay lot), and between the two of them I found models that looked good for Adepts (one IK model), Arbitrators, Assassins, Clerics, Psykers, Scum (pirates/sea dogs, anyone?), and even a few Tech-Priest-suitable models.

I thought that these would make nice "junior" tech-priests.

This dude would totally be the coolest scummer ever. I'd even keep the monkey on his back...err, shoulder...just for laughs.

I didn't see anything called Stormsmiths, though; what faction would I find them under?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:07 am 
Recruit
Recruit

I'm playing a Voidborn Psyker from the Calixis sector. In my opinion, the older psyker models look better than the imperial sanctioned ones, but the whole decomissioned model thing hit me. Luckily, I managed to get hold of one on ebay that fit the bill, and he is currently bieng tweaked and clipped (poor bloke) and given a psychic hood, only a minor one (an item he was awarded for bravery and....I suppose not going insane thus far, lol). We dont have any rules for psychic hoods as yet, but my interpretation is it is both an enhancer and resisting aid to the wearer. So the gm's rules are +5% to willpower wich stays in effect, -5% to opposing willpower checks for psychic powers that effect the mind of an enemy, and may re-roll one 9 every time one is encountered. Think this is fair?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:55 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wow, not sure how I missed this last reply. Sorry.

Anyway, there's another forum/site of sorts (link at the end) that has a decent amount of Dark Heresy fan-made material. Some of it makes reference to the Inquisitor's Handbook (which I don't currently have...my copy of that and PtU was shipped Monday), so you may need those books too. But the real thing I'm trying to get to is that the fan-made rules for Space Marines in DH are quite well-written, and do include rules for psychic hoods. I'd type them here, but I'd hate to steal from the authors...it's really better to see it with your own eyes anyway.

So, the site: <a href="http://www.darkreign40k.com/">Dark Reign</a>

You'll have to register in order to DL stuff, but it's worth the time.