Login |  Register |  FAQ

Best RPG system?

Post subject: Best RPG system?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:55 pm 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

I was at my local game story yesterday. The owner wasn't there and I started talking to this fellow that I had never met who was minding the store for him. He seemed pretty bright and certainly knew his role-playing games. I asked him what system he liked the best and his answer surprised me.

I'm wonding what role-playing system everyone likes the best. Now that means that the setting, the background and whatever else shouldn't matter. Some games have great settings/themes but terrible rules. So just based on the rules, what system is the best?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:34 pm 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

I'm not going to say there is a "best" RPG. I'm not even sure what criteria you'd be able to base that on.

Things I like in an RPG:
+ High levels of character detail and customization.
+ The ability to make a skilled adult who knows what he's doing right from the start. (As oppossed to advancement-based games in which you are expected to start with an unskilled moron who just fell of the turnip truck and then work him in to something useful.)
+ Actual rules so everyone has a clear idea of how things work and what you can and can't do (the opposite of White Wolf games).

Examples of games I like:
= Champions (Hero Games)
= Shadowrun (Fantasy Productions / WizKids)
= BESM (Guardians of Order) (In spite of some vague rules.)

And possibly GURPS... my usual gaming group does not play GURPS but it seems to have the qualities I like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:09 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

I'm interested in learning more about Gurps. For a long while I was annoyed at how Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone seemed to be doing well at the expense of some of the other authors out there.

For me, Palladium 1st revised fantasy rpg. I like the combat system, any system where handling of weaponry is given better priority over armour. There is a 'parry' rule in that system which I really like. There's also another which you can download from home of the underdogs...

(Everyone know where to find HOTU?)

Dragon Warriors. It didn't do well but the author Dave Morris does a very good job in my opinion. Simple parry rules. I really think parrying should make a more significant contribution in combat, unlike ADn'D, WFRP...

Palladium fantasy 1st edition had some minor features which I really like, how the thief was basically your urban warrior and not as weak as in ADn'D. ADn'D was too simple. I'm not familiar with the other editions.

As for fantasy worlds, very little suits me. The Palladium fantasy rpg world makes me want to puke, they made some 'c' shaped continent that would only convince a 7 year old. Some of the fantasy creatures are terrible. I'm more impressed with the ADn'D critters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:53 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I like D&D because it can be as easy or complicated as you want. The system is very fleshed out, and the worlds are plentiful.

http://z3.invisionfree.com/wfbfgu/index.php?act=idx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:08 pm 
Cadet
Cadet

kharille wrote:
I'm interested in learning more about Gurps. For a long while I was annoyed at how Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone seemed to be doing well at the expense of some of the other authors out there.

erm.. unless i am very much mistaken the Steve Jackson of Steve Jackson & Ian Livingstone (GW) fame isnt the same Steve Jackson as Steve Jackson of Steve Jackson games..

erm, i'll come back to the original question at a later date ~ when it isnt 6:08am! *needs sleep*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:16 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

I have no idea... So is Gurps actually by some other Steve Jackson? That would be some coincidence...

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:55 am 
Knight ov Discord

heh. swd6.

why the (&#$@!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:48 am 
Cadet
Cadet

kharille wrote:
I have no idea... So is Gurps actually by some other Steve Jackson? That would be some coincidence...

yup

from the Steve Jackson Games official website FAQ
FAQ wrote:
#6: Isn't Steve Jackson one of the founders of Games Workshop?
No, that's the other Steve Jackson. An English writer named Steve Jackson, along with his partner Ian Livingstone, founded Games Workshop and created the Fighting Fantasy series. These days, the English Steve Jackson, having sold his interest in Games Workshop, is continuing to work on various projects (you may have seen his Battle Cards -- they were a trading card game released before Magic.). The American Steve Jackson is another person entirely.

http://www.sjgames.com/general/faq.html

Post subject: Re: Best RPG system?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:38 am 
Private
Private

Truckler wrote:
I asked him what system he liked the best and his answer surprised me.

Well, what was it?

For me I've got several that I like

Savage Worlds: This game uses a similar granularity to Necromunda/40k. It was originally a miniature game so it works well with large numbers of troops. Good for military games or games where bad guys have large number of easily defeated henchmen.

D&D/d20: Natch. It does alot of thing right and a few things wrong.

Hero: I prefer this over GURPS since I'm most familiar with it. I use it for games where the players have high power or where there are extremes in power level. Or anywhere you want super detailed fights among a few participants.

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:18 am 
Private
Private

I like games where the person can cutomise the character a lot,my current favourite being Shadowrun. It has a good balance between rules complexity and realism, you do start with quite competent characters which is good, although I do miss the gritty "Oh no, look lads, its a goblin. Run, quick!" where you have to be a lot more careful.

Post subject: The Best RPG system?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:27 am 
Recruit
Recruit

Okay, here's my two favourites and why:

the Fighting fantasy world by Steve jackson and Ian Livingstone.
This system is very very simple and can easily be built on (for example i have added charcter strait and skills, plus have worked on a futuristic one, using the same system). Also the effort put into the background is extremely good

The Fallout Pnp game.
Now this can be found online and downloaded, but I just love the Fallout gaems and the Pnp expands on them, plus allows you own expansion. the background is detailed, the setting fairly realistic and the SPECIAL character system is perfect!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:28 am 
Private
Private

kharille wrote:
Dragon Warriors. It didn't do well but the author Dave Morris does a very good job in my opinion. Simple parry rules. I really think parrying should make a more significant contribution in combat, unlike ADn'D, WFRP...

And me thinking no-one else remembered the old Dragon Warrior RPG! :-)

Great game with simple but effective rules for combat, magic and pretty much everything.

However, imo, the best overall game would be the original WFRP, despite the failure that you mentioned (parrying). Mostly because of the sheer amount of possibilities that the rules opened for character costumization and realist (apart from the Fate points... ;) ).

Marvel Super-Heroes RPG (the old one from, I think, TSR) was pretty good as well although the concept of combat with "area movement" wasn't very realistic.

Sorry folks but no miniatures in there!

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:13 am 
Knight ov Discord

As long as we arn't just talking about our favorite rpg, but rather rpg's we like, i have a few more to add. My favorite RPG is ov course swd6 - the only RPG that didn't change between editions. but you guys already know that. Besides swd6 I think 1st edition metamorphosis alpha/gamma world was very cool. And I am going to have to give a shout out to Kult.

Steve Jackson Games rocks, but not for any games that they print... Steve Jackson Games prints the discordian bible...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:04 am 
Siege Priest

For me the best RPG has got to be Vampire the Masquerade, an unbeliavable amount of charachter customisation, an indepth global storyline and an easy game mechanic, what more could you ask for?

V:tM is by far the most immersieve RPG out there, the only drawback is that you have to spend a fortune on all the seperate books, but other than that I dont think any other game comes close, with the exception of call of Cuthulu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:30 am 
Knight ov Discord

>with the exception of call of Cuthulu.

Kult is better then call of Cuthulu.