Login |  Register |  FAQ

Best RPG system?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:52 am 
Iconoclast

Quote:
Kult is better then call of Cuthulu.

true. both ccg and rpg. excellent universe. straight from the 'books of blood' by clive barker. i still play ccg.
i remember the hype when rpg was released. rulebook was sold in black plasic bag.

Post subject: Re: ...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:41 pm 
Mature, well groomed miniature enthusiast

mortishroom wrote:
As long as we arn't just talking about our favorite rpg, but rather rpg's we like, i have a few more to add. My favorite RPG is ov course swd6 - the only RPG that didn't change between editions. but you guys already know that. Besides swd6 I think 1st edition metamorphosis alpha/gamma world was very cool. And I am going to have to give a shout out to Kult.

Steve Jackson Games rocks, but not for any games that they print... Steve Jackson Games prints the discordian bible...
SWd6 does rock hardcore...

And the d6 system, along with BESM, is about the only RPG system my group (all 15+ year veterans) uses anymore...

...I ran a scratchbuilt d6 fantasy game, based on the SWd6 "feel," for about 4 years, almost every week... It was glorious.... :D

Mrs. Dr. Remulack wrote:
It is not no wonder that USA children are so, forgive me here, fcuked up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:03 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Perhaps we could petition Wizards of the Coast to allow someone to re-issue the old Star Wars System. Similar to FanPro and Shaodowrun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:42 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Actually, WEG has kinda resurrected itself, selling it's D6 system in three generic flavours - fantasy, adventure and space. It's not Star Wars (WOTC has that locence, they're not going to budge with it) but the core system is out there still.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:00 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

I have only played Cyberpunk 2020, and D20 Apocalypse. I have to say that while the d20 system is very easy to use, i dislike the cookie cutter level up system and oversimplification of damage... hit points annoy me! Cyberpunk was brutal, one pointblank would kill anyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:06 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I have to say that I like D&D and I always like Morrow Project. Was a (&#$@!) to learn but once you got going it was a fun game.

I haven't tried many of the newer systems since no one in our group seems interested in them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:33 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

well I guess I will chime in hear. I have played CP 2020, Shadowrun, D&D 1st ed, AD&D 2nd ed, 3rd D&D, WhiteWolf D10 system, GURPS, and a couple of beta systems that I wiil not name. Out of all of these I still prefer 2nd Ed AD&D. The compition is not even close. For those who do not know 2nd AD&D was produced by TSR who owned D&D then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:32 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I am with you on that Greatimp. 2nd edition rocks.

But now everyone wants to use the new system. :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:01 am 
Mature, well groomed miniature enthusiast

wfwhite59 wrote:
I am with you on that Greatimp. 2nd edition rocks.

But now everyone wants to use the new system. :-(
1st ed > 2nd ed > 3rd ed

...They're coming out with 4th ed... Guess where I'll rank that one ;)

Mrs. Dr. Remulack wrote:
It is not no wonder that USA children are so, forgive me here, fcuked up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:45 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

Mastermime wrote:
V:tM is by far the most immersieve RPG out there, the only drawback is that you have to spend a fortune on all the seperate books, but other than that I dont think any other game comes close, with the exception of call of Cuthulu.

I only really use the Corebook when I storytell a game. Even the extraneous background information for the supplements doesn't come in to play at all, I find. Then again, I run Camarilla games. :)

But, as much as I like White Wolf's new system (and hate the new settings!), I have to say that d20 is the best system out there. It's immensely flexible and customizable once you realize that the entire Players handbook can be summarized as "Roll a d20, add modifiers, check DC."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:56 pm 
Enforcer

Lost_Heretic wrote:
But, as much as I like White Wolf's new system (and hate the new settings!), I have to say that d20 is the best system out there. It's immensely flexible and customizable once you realize that the entire Players handbook can be summarized as "Roll a d20, add modifiers, check DC."

I cannot agree with that in the least. Seriously, the system is junk. Poor choice of base dice (The D20 is the most random dice outside of the never used D30), clunky combat rules - many of which are ignored by most players and levels... Levels :roll: The game practically screams "If you don't mini-max you'll suck" and you do.

I have seen very decent adaptations of the system, the best one being the 3D6 Mutants & Masterminds variation. But the basic system is the weakest of all the "big" RPGs out there.

This is not to totally knock on DnD, it does have some bonuses. Dark Sun, Planescape, Eberron and Ravenloft are some of the most wonderful settings in any RPG. Mutants & Masterminds + Spycraft are also brilliant games that came about thanks to the D20 system.
But this doesn't hide the fact that it's a seriously flawed and archaic design.

If you want elegant and wonderful RPG systems you have to move outside of the D20.

Speaking purely mechanically here WFRP (2nd Ed), CoC's Percentile Systems; White Wolf's D10s, AEG's Roll & Keep (L5R & 7th Sea) and West End Games D6 system (Star Wars in particular) are all far superior systems, in theory, construction and elegance.
Deadlands isn't better (it's flawed) but it's more fun to play and oozes style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:02 am 
Private
Private

fen wrote:
Lost_Heretic wrote:
I cannot agree with that in the least. Seriously, the system is junk. Poor choice of base dice (The D20 is the most random dice outside of the never used D30),
<snip>
Speaking purely mechanically here WFRP (2nd Ed), CoC's Percentile Systems;<snip>

In curious, why you condemn d20 for being the "most random" and then praise CoC which uses a more random d100?

Frankly, I won't play any game that uses anything other than a d20 since it give you the enough granularity while still keeping one-die simplicity.

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:12 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Akkala wrote:
In curious, why you condemn d20 for being the "most random" and then praise CoC which uses a more random d100?

It's not just the dice, it's how you use them.
If you have a system where in order to successfully hit something you need to roll equal to or under your stat, +/- modifiers - then whether it's a D20 or a D100, that's simple, effective system. In the case of a 75 or less on a D100, and 15 or less on a D20, it's exactly the same probability of outcome.

If we use the D20 and the D100 in the crappy arse-backwards OGL D20 system, where we roll our dice and add our modifier, then assuming the same or simmilar base modifiers in each system, the D100 is indeed far more random.
The D20 system sucks so bad, I can't even be bothered working out how you'd calibrate a 75%/3 in 4 chance of success.

Quote:
Frankly, I won't play any game that uses anything other than a d20 since it give you the enough granularity while still keeping one-die simplicity.

One-die simplicity? I don't know about all the other D20 systems, but Dungeons and Dragons requires that you have at least one of just about every die type ever created.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the D20, or even making it the core die-type in a game, but the way the D20 system uses that die-type is terrible, compounded by everything else that sucks in the system.

The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity.
With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog, behind which halftruths and untruths can frolic and procreate unmolested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:09 am 
Cadet
Cadet

I'd really like to try Kult a lot of people have told me it's a good one. I liked call of cthulhu a lot, nice and straightforward with the emphesis being on the story rather than numbers, the exact opposite of gurps which seemed to be all about removing any kind of actual roleplaying in favour of numbers.

What's your call of cthulu character like? I was a deranged journalist who caught a glimpse of something awful in the cellar of an old house and just couldn't leave it alone leading him into repeated contact with the formless horrors that lurk on the border of reality. Alcohol and madness finally tipped him over the edge and he blew his brains out after a run in with an especially weird cult and the gibbering madness that they had summoned up.

What's your gurps character like? 19, 44, 12, 18.5, 22%, 6 (+4), 22 (+2, -3)

Great sourcebooks though.