Login |  Register |  FAQ

Rifts Based PVP Tournament

Post subject: Rifts Based PVP Tournament
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:02 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Hello, roleplayers of the Eastern Fringe;

I'm wanting to run an online PVP tournament using Rifts character rules. It would be relatively small, probably no more than four or eight people, and would be executed via MSN (as the moderator/referee, I'd handle all the dice). There'd be minimal limitations on character design, though as a combat only tournament, creation would be streamlined.

If anyone here is interested in participating, feel free to post here, or to send me a PM. Remember, the more questions that are asked, the more detail will be available to everyone, so please, don't hold back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:28 am 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

Any particular reason you are choosing RIFTS? Although it does allow for a tremendous range of character types, 95% of them are not suitable for a pure combat slugfest. I suspect the only real contenders will be Dragons, Glitter Boys and similar combat monsters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:42 am 
Private
Private

Hell, I'll give it a crack if you break me in gently

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:18 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

A good point, Venator. It would be limited to human characters, with no power armor or robots. Thus, Juicers, Crazies, and 'Borgs would be the obvious choices, with psychics for those who want a little more challenge, and the characters from Rifts China 2 for something exotic. Of course, I will seek to make it as balanced as possible without diluting the individuality of the character classes.

My reason for selecting the system is my familiarity with it, and the range of books I have available for it. Last I checked, Palladium grants a limited license to its players to reproduce just enough information to create characters and play online, so long as there is no financial gain resulting. This will be my second time running character creation almost exclusively online, so I believe I can provide the players with sufficient information to design their characters while simultaneously staying within the limitations of Palladium's Internet Policy.

Glad to have you aboard, Bongo_clive. I'm still in the process of assembling a list of classes and selectable skills, so as soon as I have that worked out, I'll send you a link to the site for the character creation.

Post subject: What about...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:21 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Superhumans (Rifts Conversion Book)
Atlantean Undead Slayers

What are the level restrictions?
What gear is available?

What is the setting? Leyline plentiful? Nexus?

I am very interested in the idea but I am not sure that I would get the opportunity to participate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:19 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Alas, my library is somewhat limited, and the Conversion books are not among my collection. If you're interested in participating, I can give you a link to the character creation area, which has a list of all available character classes from the books at my disposal, along with which book to find them in.

The level is 10, across the board; sufficient experience to pull off some really neat stuff, without being "epic level", so to speak.

Gear is fairly restricted; characters are each given either an energy pistol or an energy rifle, a suit of Plastic Man armor, and 100,000 credits with which to round out their equipment. If you wish to go without the armor, or swap it for something more durable, it may be sold back to increase your credit limit to 118,000. No power armor, robots, or vehicles are available for purchase, and the gear used here is solely "arena sanctioned" gear, meaning the items the characters would normally start with are not used. Items available for purchase are from the same books as the character classes.

The setting is, as much for simplicity's sake as anything else, an extradimensional coliseum. No ley lines or nexus points are present around the arena - the combatants have only their own ability to rely on.

Conceptual characters are encouraged. Essentially, if you have a particular character you'd like to roleplay, and one or more of the things critical to playing them as intended fall outside what is normally allowed, I will be willing to negotiate as long as I have the resources necessary to ensure that the addition isn't going to completely bias the tournament in your favour. For example, if you want to play an Enlightened Demon, based off of one of the lesser demons from Dimension Book 10: Hades, that could theoretically be arranged. Enlightened Demons are in the process of turning themselves into humans, and by the time they reach level 10, their human form is about as powerful as their Demon form, so they'd be pretty well on par with the other combat-oriented classes.

Character creation may take as much as a couple of weeks, after which battles will be scheduled at the convenience of the combatants, and will take place over MSN Messenger. For most people I know, that will provide the greatest possible flexibility, with time zones being the only possible wrench threatening to fall into the works. In the event that two people who are meant to battle have completely irreconcilable schedules, I am prepared to use a Play by Post methodology, though a per-post time limit (most likely either one or two weeks) would be required to avoid the battles completely stalling.

... And now that I've planted that wall of text firmly in front of you, I shall retreat again. :D