no 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
SAMURAI! 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12

Shadowrun

Post subject: Shadowrun
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:55 pm 
Private
Private

:chaos Hey y'all. I used to be an avid Shadowrun player. It is probably my favorite RPG. Well, I really like the paladium stuff too, like Heros Unlimited. . . anyways, does anyone play Shadowrun currently?

I'm curious about the 4th edition rules, as I was thinking of starting a group up.

I got rid of a lot of my old gaming stuff and am now kicking myself for it, as I like the older systems usually. . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:25 am 
Cadet
Cadet

not currently, have done though :@

it's a great game, one of my favourites- up there with cthulhu and cyberpunk. i'm about to start a game of vampire, actually.

have you tried cthulhutech?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:57 am 
Private
Private

No, I haven't. I saw the book and it looked interesting. I'm a huge H.P. Lovecraft fan and have woven some of his mythos into Shadowrun Campaigns before

:chaos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:45 pm 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

Although I have not actually played it in years, I answered yes to the poll because I still have the books and wish I could play it....

I personally like what they've done with 4th Edition, though there are holdouts who disagree. Dice rolling has been changed to remove the flat spot that used to happen when your target number was 6 or 7 (or 12 or 13). The setting has been updated to better reflect what the high-tech world of the future might actually look like. In particular, the matrix is now all around you in the form of augmented reality. You no-longer need to halt the entire game while the Decker solos the matrix run and everyone else sits around twiddling their thumbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:47 pm 
Private
Private

Interesting. I've played a lot and most players I played with stayed away from the whole decking and rigging thing because of how much it slowed game play. It is interesting to read that it has been more stream-lined. I've been really trying to get a group together, especially as it is based in my home-town. As a Seattle-ite you can really expand the Shadowrun world with all the maps etc. available. Mix that with the knowledge of the neighborhoods the actual crime centers of the city etc. and it makes for a great game.

The thing that is currently bumming me out is how hard it is to find players. People I game with are only interested in Paladium games and D and D. Meh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:38 pm 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

Shadowrun has always included the idea that deckers prepare for a run by scouting the target and looking for data that may help the team. There are detailed rules on how to perform these matrix runs, but they invariably leave all the other characters behind while the decker monopolizes the GM's time.
Unfortunately, there are also many other opportunities for the game to turn into a one-man show that leaves all the other characters behind...

The rigger who wants to have his squadron of drones do their own recon missions, or even combat (where the other PCs cannot participate). The mage who insists on leaving his meat body behind to do recon on the astral plane (leaving the rest of the team behind). In one game I ran, I even had to deal with a Shaman that always wanted to turn into a bird and fly around on his own.

Dealing with people who want to play their own mini-game at the expense of the group is just one of the unusual challenges of running Shadowrun. Fortunately, in 4th Edition they encourage deckers (which they now call hackers) to come along in person and deal with the augmented reality interface in person. A lot of systems are simply not connected to the outside world of the greater matrix.

Finding players can be tough but, with the Internet, it can be done!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:45 pm 
Private
Private

Always got around the whole decking thing by using outside sources to not interfer with the game play. I am excited to read the new rules and see how the mechanics work. . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:35 am 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Used to run Shadowrun games based on GURPS rules. This, because one of the first times I tried the (3rd ed) SR rules a player created a combat character, who could bring about 30 dice in his pool... Within a week I transferred all characters to GURPS and have not regretted it since.

I like the SR setting, it's great.