Login |  Register |  FAQ

Still play Pen & Paper games?

Post subject: Still play Pen & Paper games?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:13 pm 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

Does anyone still play Pen & Paper RPGS anymore? I mean with both Console and especially Computer gaming, it almost makes the whole "getting together with your friends for AD&D" obsolete.

I notice as we get older all our friends get more and more busy with real life stuff, making it nearly impossible to get the old gang back for a round of dice throwing. Especially since you can just log on to your computer and have an online game anytime you want or in the mood.

So I wonder, does anyone still play it the traditional way, and if so, what is it you are playing?

McCragge

Post subject: Re: Still play Pen & Paper games?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:04 pm 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

Getting "old folks" with jobs and/or families to play pen and paper games is challenging. When Shadowrun 5th Edition was released (just recently) I joined a group that was going to run a campaign, but it's never quite materialized due to everyone being too busy with other things.
Though pnp games do involve hauling around less baggage than miniatures games, they're still not as convenient as computer games, which you can play while sitting around the house in your underwear. Maybe pnp games should be promoted to Americans as a form of excersize.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:58 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

I play in 3 forum games. Its slow paced and people tend to disappear for weeks at a time. Not quite the same thing. It took me 10 years to finish Baldurs gate, the pc game. And I'm trying to replay it with a new character now.

I'm excited about new developments like the way of the tiger gamebooks kickstarter where they're going to redo the gamebooks, but I won't have time, too much real life issues and I ought to find a girlfriend before I waste time.

Hope I'm mentally intact if and when I retire. I sure got a lot of stuff saved up I want to read through...

By then they probably created some new 3d hologram computer games and maybe holodecks....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:11 am 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

I have tried playing a few games (mostly Mutants & Masterminds) via forum posts. While they do have some narative advantages, these games were so horribly slow that I gave them up. I've also given up playing RPGs at conventions where they put 500 people in the same ballroom and you have to yell just to be heard by the people at your table. In my youth I considered those convention pick-up groups to be the best roleplaying you could get.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:28 pm 
The Threadomancer

I used to love playing WFRP and Vampire the Masquerade. we had a gaming group that wet up every other week and it was such a laugh. I moved away and now after 12 years have finally gotten back into proper wargaming. With luck I may be able to persuade my group to play a bit of WHQ or even WFRP! The trouble with that is we have quite a fluid group so it's hard to run a game where each week a character or two may be absent. I live in hope. :(

My Blog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:53 pm 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

WHQ, now that brings back some fond memories, and of course the simplified version HeroQuest. Also fun in its own right.

McCragge