Login |  Register |  FAQ

Kaotkbliss' Corner

Post subject: Kaotkbliss' Corner
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:46 pm 
Private
Private

I have question I hope someone can answer.
I watched a spoof video on how to paint a golden daemon miniature (pretty funny by the way) and most of it was silly, but at one point the guy took his acrylic paint and mixed it with vegetable oil to make a wash.

Normally I use water, but that tends to leave my models looking "dirty" and I was wondering if it might be a good idea to use the vegetable wash?

One thing that makes me think this might work is something an old friend told me. Needless to say he's a professional sculptor/painter and his tip was that mixing the paint with oil allows the paint to flow into recessed areas better because there's less surface tension than with water. He said when you use water, the water fills the crevice and the paint floats on top of the water, not really getting into the cracks very well.

So while I don't doubt mixing with oil would be better, I wonder if vegetable oil would be a good solution (mostly because it's really cheap)

*edit*
Just a title change

Last edited by kaotkbliss on Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Making a better wash
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:24 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

I am not exactly sure that is a good idea. Firstly does the oil evaporate? And if so how long does that take? Secondly does it leave a coating or film on the miniature so other layers of paint won't stick to the miniature?

Here is a few ideas you can try.

*Witchhazel, when mixing with the paint seems to maintain a constant mixture and an even layering when doing a wash.

*Rubbing Alcohol, never tried this, but it evaporates fast, might be worth a try.

*Using the smallest amount of liquid dish soap in the wash (in fact you will want a separate container for the wash water mixture. The soap (a drop per 8 ounces is probably more then enough) breaks the water surface tension.

*Use inks and don't flood a surface with a wash. Rather wet your brush and then dip in your ink and build up the wash in layers. Ultimate control and this is the way the pros do it.

McCragge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:52 am 
Private
Private

I'm not sure what type of oil he used when painting, I don't think he ever said and I did have some concerns using vegetable oil as a replacement. (Such as will it dry completely, or leave a sticky film, or will it discolor over time?)
Maybe I'll test a bit on a random object or small bit from my bits box and see what happens. Of course, I'll post the results but if that fails, then witchhazel seems like the next best choice.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:07 am 
Private
Private

Well, we seem to be out of vegetable oil so I'll have to wait till we get some. I've got a couple painted bits (1 plastic 1 metal) to test on.
In the meantime, I was happy to find an alternative to simple green for removing the old paint from my minis that I want to repaint.

I was about to buy a bottle but at our home depot it was $10 a bottle.

We had a ton of bottles of Pawl's Urine remover since we've had pet problems and we found those at our local Marc's store for less than $2 for 64 oz

Not sure why, but I thought "why not give that a try?" so I took a small amount and dropped in a painted plastic arm and within about an hour I could see the first layer of paint pealing away with no damage to the plastic :)

Post subject: Re: Making a better wash & a new stripper
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:42 am 
Private
Private

So I edited the title since I didn't want to create an offshoot, just update my progress in this one.

I left my minis soaking overnight and have started the scrubbing process today. With very little scrubbing at all, I'd say about 60% of the paint came off just running the mini under water, and all but maybe 1% of the rest came off with very light scrubbing. No harm to any of the plastic and only 1 chainsword broke off so far (I've done 8/20 minis so far)

I'll probably put them in for a 2nd soaking just to get the rest of the paint so I'm starting fresh with bare plastic.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:45 pm 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

It would be great to see some before and after pics. :)

McCragge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:12 pm 
Private
Private

Yes, I thought of that and started taking pics. Unfortunately I'm not very good at it, lighting sucked, camera sucked and I was trying to get all 20 minis in a single shot. Fortunately I have minis at the before stripped stage, after stripped and reprimed so I can take some single shots.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:33 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I like the alcohol idea. Could even try something like vodka, use a clear liquid. Veg oil wont work, it wont leave the model and will make a mess.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:46 am 
Private
Private

I've tried many types of alcohol, but I kept drinking them and they never made it to the mini :lol:

I had thought about the rubbing alcohol, but was afraid it would evaporate to quickly, so I'm going to try the witchhazel and see how that works.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:53 pm 
Private
Private

Ok, so here's the pics I have so far. Sorry for the quality in advance I couldn't get the lighting right.

This first pic is of the group of 20 I'll be painting before stripping. Some of the models this is the only coat of paint, others have been primered, painted then recovered.
This coat of spray has just been a disaster. On half the models the paint came out fine, on the other half it went on thick with tiny holes all through the paint. And none of the paint seemed to dry completely, it's a little tacky and the minis often stick to eachother. It's been a couple months since I did this and they are still tacky :(

Here is a closeup of one of the worse ones

After 1 overnight soaking in Pawl's Urine Remover, pretty much all the paint came off. Some of the models that had black primer almost look as though the primer stained/discolored the plastic which is fine because after a fresh coat of spray, all the detail with still be sharp :)

and a closeup of a couple
ImageImage

And finally, recoated and ready to begin

the closeup

It's hard to tell from the pics, but yes, they are a light grey. My plan is to next go through and paint anything that is not going to be grey, white (the grey being the base armor color white going over areas like skin, shoulderpads, weapons etc).
The next step will be to paint over the white with whatever color the area is going to be finished off with washes and highlights for depth and darkening the bright colors a bit.

I will post more pics at each step :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:43 pm 
Private
Private

Ok, so it's been a while. I've only ben painting maybe an hour or 2 on the weekends but this weekend was a holiday so I was able to get the next step done on these 20 miniatures. This step was painting pretty much everything that wasn't armor white so that the colors are a bit more sharp and not faded out after all the shading is done.
So here is the full group shot

and a couple close ups. (I'll do more close ups the more complete the group is.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:04 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Im glad it worked out for you. The first spray was horrid!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:12 am 
Private
Private

Yeah, I have no idea what happened with it, although I've only ever done my spraying indoors but my GF doesn't like it so those were the first ones I sprayed outside.

Although I'm glad it worked out like this because that enzyme spray works wonders as a paint stripper :) the only paint left on some of the models after stripping was some of the black primer, but it was such a thin coat left that it looked more like the plastic was stained. Which is just fine because all the detail was brought out again. Nearly all of them came completely clean though.

Oh, and I've yet to have any paint stay on metal miniatures after an overnight soaking :)

I did find out the stuff obliterates PVA glue and play-dough (I use it to fill small cracks/minor modeling jobs with a bit of super glue over top to seal it, mostly because it's cheap and works fine for what I need it for)
So I'm not sure how green stuff will hold up to it.
Super glue is fine unless there is paint between the glued parts, then the paint is dissolved separating the 2 pieces.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:42 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I have never heard of play doh as model filler :P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:06 am 
Private
Private

I actually got the idea from something I did as a kid. I had created something out of play dough and it ended sitting out overnight. Well, when I got back to it, it was rock hard.

So when I started picking up minis off ebay recently, many needed to be slightly modded and some parts didn't fit so well. I didn't want to spend the money on green stuff as it's a bit expensive for as little as I needed and I remembered the play dough incident. So for less than $1 I picked up a can.

Worked quite well although it was a bit of a pain to smooth out since play dough doesn't like to stick to the mini very well. Too much messing with it and it peel off. So once I had it in place and smoothed as best I could, I let it dry and sealed it with a dab of super glue.