Login |  Register |  FAQ

Afterlife!

Post subject: Afterlife!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:23 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Heya!

Well yeah, I said I won't open a new topic for every new project, but this is the place where I'll have pictures of every single Afterlife miniature released. Sort of a studio-painting-ish thing, tho the main "studio painter" definitely won't be me ;)

Anyway, off to some basic info. Afterlife is going to be a new SF skirmish (then later not-so-skirmish) wargame published by Anvil Industry (who I'm working for now), we had our first successful Kickstarter, and currently working on the miniatures for that.
I'm not allowed to show anything so far, but I have to say, in person this stuff is even more mind-blowingly amazing than on pictures!

About my project - as I said I'm gonna have every single Afterlife mini painted here. Possibly later some converted ones too (definitely planning a veteran unit of UC 'Ajax' Mechs!) For the basing, first I bought a set of the Micro Arts cityfight bases - then turned out 25mm is too small for the 'Mechs, so decided to make up my own - and I'm havin' a great deal of fun doin' it!
Sooo...pics!

The bases are in stage 1&2 (cork&stonework), there's still quite a bit of work left to do on 'em, but still, lookin quite cool & similar to the MAS bases as reference in the pic!
Yeah, as usual, sorry for the crappy pics - basically while stuff is WIP, expect maybe a bit better shots than these, then when all is done, stuff will be photographed properly.

That's it for now, C&C welcome as usual!
See ya laters!

Post subject: Re: Afterlife!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:27 pm 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

Dude these WIP shots are awesome. I love the raw pics, matches the raw in progress of the models.

So, did you cast those hex pieces yourself? And if so how did you do it?

I can't wait to see it painted.

McCragge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:38 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

McCragge wrote:
Dude these WIP shots are awesome. I love the raw pics, matches the raw in progress of the models.

So, did you cast those hex pieces yourself? And if so how did you do it?

I can't wait to see it painted.

McCragge

Thanks alot! :guns02

Yep, I cast all the hex stuff, manhole covers, etc. Using Milliput & Instant Mold, and plasticard to make the masters - I already have a request for a step-by-step tutorial for the bases, so I'll have it done PROBABLY in a few days (now the priority is painting this stuff, but after it's done, I'll definitely get to writing that tutorial - until then, I'm more than happy to answer any questions!)

Some more WIP pics of the bases - they are done now, gonna be primed soon(-ish), and hopefully painted by the end of the day!

Included the MAS bases in the last pic too - I think my bases pretty much have the same feel!
That's it for now, see ya laters!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:43 pm 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

So when you cast your hex's (and I would love to see that tutorial) are they cast clean and then you add battle damage and wear. Or do you have clean hex molds and battle damaged hex molds?

McCragge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:00 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

McCragge wrote:
So when you cast your hex's (and I would love to see that tutorial) are they cast clean and then you add battle damage and wear. Or do you have clean hex molds and battle damaged hex molds?

McCragge

I made molds for these stuff:
The bottom row is the masters (half hex tile, hex tile, pavement edge, manhole cover), the top row is the way they come out of the molds (there's an open manhole cover stuff aswell, but I ended up using the master - cleaning up the milliput version properly is just a pain in the ass).
So, the (sort of) clean versions come out of the mold (there's some damage on them if I don't fill up the mold properly), then it's pretty easy (and fun!) to add all the damage on them.
Basically all my molds (except for the hex tiles) are one sided, so I have to sand the bottom a bit to be perfectly flat. The hex molds are 1,5 sided molds, I made a mold top with pressing the Instant Mold on an empty 60mm base, to get the rough texture it has - looks really good on the actual tiles!

I spent most of today painting the bases, and they are finally done now!
WIP and finished pics:

Overall, I'm really satisfied with the result ('cause they actually look much better than in the pics), especially with the hex pavement. I'm not 100% sure about the asphalt, for the tutorial I might make a base without the texture paint to see how that looks.
Now I'll be on to painting the minis that go on the bases - and as soon as I get permission (hopefully next week), I'll post WIP and painted shots of those too! When they are ready, I'll get that tutorial done, I promise :)

That's it for now, see ya laters!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:05 pm 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

Those look awesome!!

As far as the Asphalt goes, it does seem a bit grainy. Perhaps if you use the texture paint only at the edges (where debris, curbs and hexes meet the asphalt) that might make it look dirty and weathered but still leave the asphalt looking...well like asphalt.

Even still though, man, those bases are awesome!

McCragge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:02 pm 
The Threadomancer

If you to that much trouble for the bases, I can't wait to see what you put on them! Great stuff so far! :)

My Blog