Login |  Register |  FAQ

Cardstock terrain company: Looks Great!

Post subject: Cardstock terrain company: Looks Great!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:06 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

http://www.worldworksgames.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=52

It looks like when you order, you're sent a PDF which you can print out as many times as you want. I looked through some of the videos and the user galleries, and this stuff looks great. Sure, it might take some of the fun out of building scenery pieces, but it's cheap and it looks great!

(Oh, and you don't have to spend any time painting it! :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:00 am 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

I can definitely second that these pieces look great on the table, especially considering they're all just simple papercraft.

You're right about the procedure - you pay, download, and print as much as you like. There's still a bit of fiddlyness to a couple pieces, but mostly it is a very simple print, cut, fold, glue process then you've got papercraft terrain.

One of our gaming group members downloaded a set, and we use them interspersed with other terrain. They look pretty damn fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:37 am 
Gunner
Gunner

I own all PCON products from WWG, and I've gotta say they're the best there are; if you're looking for a papercraft terrain, go with their products...

even though, they just released their new modular terrainlinx system on some fantasy terrain, if you're not in too much of a hurry, it would be wise to wait for some sci-fi terrainlinx module to come out, and then grab those...

terrainlinx is the best, check out the youtube video explaining the system, it's really worth it..! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:42 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

The Terrainlinx stuff looks amazing! And the sewer set might work just fine with Necromunda. I have a pretty endless supply of foamcore excess trash to use for the flooring and am wondering if I could make it all work just by drymounting it.....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedom."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:29 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

So with the "Platform Command" set, do you get the floor pieces? Is that what the "20 different tiles" is?

Also, how long did it take you guys to cut and assemble your sets? Can you post a few photos?

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:59 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

yeah, you get different types of ground tiles, from sludge rivers, to chasms, from lava flows to bridges and the such;

combining the three main PCON products you can get a really good underhive, if you're patient enough...

I strongly recommend using the PCON Battlegrounds bulkheads over the RED Sector or Operation Nightwatch ones, they're broader and more stable...

before watching the pics of my wip papercraft underhive (it's missing ground tiles and a little more bulkheads/platforms), keep in mind that I didn't build it as it was meant to be;

ie: before terrainlinx, all papercraft terrains were more or less something you build, glue together, and use in the layout you decided forever; now, I wasn't so fond of that method, and being a LEGO fanatic of yore, I built all of my bulkeads with a thin layer of metal at the base and at the top, and all of my platforms with magnets in every point they would connect with a bulkhead..!

this way I got a pre-terrainlinx customizable terrain; true, it did cost me more time than not having done all that work, but in the end my underhive is foldable and easily transportable, not mentioning that I'm not forced to one specific layout every time I play..! :)

now, having said that, and with Terrainlinx on the market, I'd strongly suggest to wait for a sci-fi TLX terrain before buying anything, since it's gonna save anyone a great deal of time, while guaranteeing the best modularity possible...

(by the way, at WWG they already unofficially assured we'll get a sci-fi TLX set, we only have to hope they don't take too much redesigning/reinventing it)

and now, on to the pics! Remember, the terrain it's still missing the ground tiles..! :wink:

EDIT: about building times: it's kinda time-expensive to build this stuff (even more for my magnet-approach), but once you get used to it, it kinda becomes natural, and times improve as well...

you should take the papercrafting time as an hobby per-se, and not as something you have to finish asap in order to play necromunda...

that said, remember that TLX sets - and only TLX sets - are also cutting machine compatible, so if you're willing to shell out 230$ for a craftrobo, that little genius will do all the cutting and scoring for you, leaving you only to fold and glue it all togheter...

have fun :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:54 am 
Private
Private

Out of interest... did anyone else look at that flamable sphere in the middle and instantly wondering how big an explosion it would make in game terms? XD

And how sturdy is this stuff on card? It is tempting after all (inspite of being an armorcast lover) to grab a few of these

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:32 am 
Cadet
Cadet

what I want to know is, how tall are the bulkheads?

no-one at WWG will tell me :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:02 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Yarrow wrote:
what I want to know is, how tall are the bulkheads?

no-one at WWG will tell me :(

well, there's a tape measure at the bottom of the picture. while there is no official standard size for tape measures, you should be able to get a rough idea, because there's actually a pretty narrow range of size when it comes to tape measures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:37 am 
Gunner
Gunner

they stand 3" tall, just as high as the official plastic bulkheads that came with the game box :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:12 pm 
Private
Private

Location: The Chasms, The Underhive, Necromunda (Minnesota, USA)
I happen to own these as well and absolutely love them. They fit in very well for Necromunda, that's actually why I bought them. Ciabs is right, with a very minor bit of modification they are almost as modular as the classic GW Necromunda terrain & in a lot of ways look better. He's also right that each level of paper bulk head is 3" (the double tall one is 6" obviously). One thing to note though, plastic GW bulkheads are not 3", they are something like 2.83" (I know that sounds exact, but I can't remember if that's what I found and I don't have one handy). If you mix and match you will have some inclines.

Ciabs, a couple of things I'd like to know are what are those upright computer terminal/video cabinet things? There's one featured prominently in the last photo. And do you have any tips for cutting foamcore on a curve?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:12 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

nooker wrote:

Ciabs, a couple of things I'd like to know are what are those upright computer terminal/video cabinet things? There's one featured prominently in the last photo. And do you have any tips for cutting foamcore on a curve?

the red sector set mentions it has "computer console" props, i'm guessing that's what you're looking at. (though the ones i could see in the red sector kit looked a little bit different, but pretty close)

as far as i can tell, that entire thing is part of at least 3 different sets: platform command:operation nightwatch (PCON), platform command: battleground (the source of the big red flammable ball); probably the least bang for your buck overall in terms of terrain (it looks like it has a pretty hefty focus on vehicles and mecha though, so if you want some for an ash waste campaign or just in general, it'd be more useful for you) and red sector (which looks like somewhat of a mixture of the two styles, and includes rules for a game)

some of their other sets look to be at least moderately useful, but by the look of it the operation nightwatch set probably is the best of them (although celestus pravatis might allow for some pretty interesting 'monster-infested' areas)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:41 pm 
Private
Private

Location: The Chasms, The Underhive, Necromunda (Minnesota, USA)
Naw the Red Sector consoles looks like this:
The one in the picture is much bigger. I have all three sets plus Mars Station (has lots of piece that work well in Necromunda) and I can't see it. There are lots of pieces though, so I could have missed it.

Rosa_Diavolo, this picture should answer your strength question:
The * refers to a disclaimer about the minis not being owned by WWG.

Post subject: Re: Cardstock terrain company: Looks Great!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:03 am 
Cadet
Cadet

that's a bingo

so what kind of card is that on? i wonder how easy it is to cross that and the box set :s

so would you be allowed to sell me a few printouts? i have no idea bof the intricacies of cardstock copyright, but if i could enable your quest in return i'd love to :)