Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Some pics of the Necro table I have been working on

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:01 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Last of the barricades completed. Total number of barricades = 14

These were made using the barrels you get in the Imperial Guard vehicle sprue.

I found the secret of gluing plasticard effectively. Not using super glue as it doesn't do more than create a layer of glue between the 2 surfaces that you are trying to glue. The trick is to use simple hobby (model aeroplane) glue as it melts the 2 surfaces together. Probably something that most other people already knew, but new to me nonetheless.

@ Cassius
Thanks for that. I started in 2nd ed 40k where on the tourney scene it was ok to have blu-taced, bare metal models on the table. This looked pretty average.
The club I joined (and have been a member of for nearly 20 years) had a strong emphasis on players using painted models. This agreed with my way of thinking and now I just can't seem to put something on the table unless its painted. I appreciate that some peoples imagination is sufficient in that they can visualise an unpainted table as the depths of a hive city, but as a spectator, I like to see it all painted. As there are few demands on my time, I find the painting and converting/building to be one of the most relaxing and rewarding parts of the hobby. At the end of the day I have friends in the hobby that use spray guns, paint retarders to blend colours and sculpters that make thier own miniatures, so they all kind of make me look like a noob at this :)

* Next project is 3 more panels (had a few months off painting minis, now back to the table). Current plans should mean that I will be able to make 2 4x4 tables. Awaiting "diamond plate" plasticard from the US. I expect that it will arrive in a few weeks (have waited 12+ weeks for an Oz supplier before I cracked it and decided to look international). Plans and templates done. Most pieces basically prepared. One of the panels will be powered, so this will likely be done last.

Cathedral is currently on hold (all city fight pieces are prepared, just need to get the base cut). As the base is fairly large, I had someone else cut the base for me. Unfortunately they were of the impression that "near enough is good enough" and stuffed the base up (I can't imagine how wonky the houses were that he used to build :o )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:43 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Current panel. It will be a building with a crane on top. Still a long way to go at the moment. The idea was taken from the terrain that was made from Ancientsociety (I liked it so much, I had to see if I could make one myself).

The "diamond plate" is from Plastruct in the USA. Its a bit thin for my liking so I have glued this to standard 1mm plasticard to give it some strength.

The back wheel on the crane, the hook and the chain have not been glued in yet. The front mechanism is designed not to be glued in and can slide up and down the length of the crane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:17 am 
Recruit
Recruit

your crane is 20 times more awesome than mine. thats just awesome looking. did i mention... awesome?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:25 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Thanks for that :) The credit really belongs to Ancientsociety, as I downloaded the pics of his terrain and then reverse engineered the construction from there :) .....I just couldn't help it.

It started as a small crane and has grown from there....
It has absorbed way too many man hours.

It is sitting on a 40mm base
The front was made from a Land Raider front panel.
* Servitor yet to be installed.
* Chain and wheel mechanism left off as it will be easier to work with this way.

Glued using standard areoplane/hobby glue as it actually melts the plasticard when it glues. bits added to break up the surface.

Last edited by Cancer on Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:23 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

that looks great man :) can't wait to see it with a lick of paint

Urosh Yal, an Orc Stronghold for Skyrim.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=13940

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:46 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Still have a bit of a way to go before it sees some paint.
I have allocated a bag of bits that need to be glued to it.
The base will have about 8 shipping containers (HO scale) and a loading bay. Am currently awaiting their arrival from the US.

Have also started some of the next panel....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:25 am 
Gunner
Gunner

Wow! Some more top quality terrain you are churning out there.

Quote:
The base will have about 8 shipping containers (HO scale) and a loading bay. Am currently awaiting their arrival from the US.

I was going to ask if you were going to add in anything for the crane to be moving around, the idea for the base sounds like it hits the nail on the head. I look forward to seeing the next stage in its development.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:03 am 
Cadet
Cadet

That is some great scenery with a lot of cool details.

Apologies if I missed this somewhere in the thread but where do you get or how did you make the metal effect flooring?

I have been looking at using mesh over a solid surface for one kind of floor although I like the kind with the little rectangular bumps at offset angles you have, the brown kind of material on the crane platform floor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:55 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

The diamond plate is from plastruct
www.plastruct.com

I have used the HO scale diamond plate, single line (I used to refer to it as checkerplate, but checkerplate in the plastruct range is actually like a checkerboard at a 45 degree angle).

Part # 91687 (PS-155)
2 sheets per pack

Prompt service and good communication. delivery to Australia took only 2 weeks from the time of ordering to actually receiving the items. Well packed, so the sheets did not get bent or damaged.

* Not cheap though. Postage was about another 50% of the price (and I was given the option of insurance or standard). Including postage it came in at about $8.50 AUD per sheet. Given that the AUD is currently high against the US, it seemed the time to buy. At the end of the day, I wanted the effect and if you cut the sheets carefully, then you can make them last.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:33 am 
Cadet
Cadet

Thanks,

I think I will use it for some of my flooring, perhaps using it for the rooms/buildings and having mesh walkways.

I had a quick web search and found some companies stocking plastruct products in the UK so I will see how they compare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:04 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tower is mostly painted.

Containers arrived from US. Nowhere near what I had envisaged as HO scale (way too small). Have found a supplier in New Zealand that looks promising (Containers made with 40k scale in mind).

This is the first time that I have used a sponge approach to highlighting. I have read about it and thought that it was about time that I gave it a go. I applied the paint to some spare insert foam and then ran it over the surface. I am happy with the result. I started to first rub the sponge/foam onto some paper first, as if the sponge was applied directly to the model once the paint was applied, then the paint would go on a bit too thick. The bulkheads were painted:
* Spray painted black (oil based paint)
* Tamiya X-10 gunmetal
* Watered down Beastial Brown
* Sponged on Boltgun Metal
* Watered down Devlan Mud

* Although I have picked up some Vallejo Smoke, I decided to stick with the Devlan Mud for this one. I think I will reserve the Smoke for painting around bolts and grease stains.

I am also liking the pipes that come in the Pegasus Hobbies Power Plant box #4909. Lots of pipes and bits to use.

Still to go:
* Finish servitor and glue into position
* Glue in crane engine wheel, hook and chain
* Base

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:46 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

that looks great mate :) I like the way you've added that tube around the ladder, gives it that viable industrial feel

Urosh Yal, an Orc Stronghold for Skyrim.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=13940

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:06 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Current panel as a WIP.

Once again I have used the diamond plate plastic sheets from Plastruct and glued them onto 1mm plasticard to give them some strength.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:33 am 
Cadet
Cadet

Does the door down the bottom of the last one open up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:07 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

G'day Grott,

The bottom door is glued shut. The entire ground floor will be enclosed (The current facing will be the entrance to the strippers den. Another facing will have Murry's Used Missles gun dealer and the final facing will be industrial bits and pieces). I suspect that if players are given the option of going into a doorway/room that is difficult to manouver around, then they will :)

The top floor was a hatch as well. Although I built a rail slide system under the hatch, I decided to glue them shut.

The current 2 panels will allow for more connectivety between ramps. I have produced more walk ways for this. Some of the walk ways have walls so as to encourage their use (ie long walk ways that do not have any cover can be death traps as the ganger is effectively out in the open. Plus, if they do get shot, without a railing, there is the chance that they could then fall to their death).

This ramp is made from standard plasticard, flyscreen (to create the checkerplate effect) and a HO rail bridge section.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next