Login |  Register |  FAQ

new terrain idea from Ciabs: 2.5D terrain!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:27 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

well, this kind of door can be tricky if a model would end its movement on the door's threshold, but the reason I made this first texturization this way is because cutting away the lower border entirely (to achieve a "real" door effect) can damage the structure's integrity if one goes for a really wide or high door, while my template leaves both borders there to achieve the maximum resilience possible for a cardboard sheet that has to function as a door or gate of sorts... :)

trust me on this, I've got quite a few years of papercrafting experience on my back, and most of my choiches on the matter are firstly due to issues I know are there, and only secondly because I like the visual result of the thing... :wink:

then again, luckily, "portal" doors are kinda ok in a sci-fi setting, being it necromunda or something post-apocaliptic ecc...

I actually did some prints with "real" doors whose walls stand together just thanks to the upper border sustaining them and I must say they were not so bad, but I'm of the opinion that it's better to be twice sure than having to lose time and patience by paying extra attention to manage weaker pieces...

anyway this is a personal issue (obviously should one ever do a modern texturization of these templates, "real" doors would be a must...), and regarding releasing the templates, know that at some point I actually thought I could try and sell this project for a few bucks (I'm mainly developing this on Onemonk.com forums and if you don't mind the paper miniatures scene I strongly suggest you check Jim's site as from now on EVERY set he's produced and that he'll ever produce is priced 1$..! :) ), but then I thought this:

Quote:
then be quiet and calm and wait, since I thought that the work needed to produce a set that can be worth to be sold for any price is just too much than I can handle at this point in my life;

in the next 6 months I've got to get my MD degree and I really don't have the time to dedicate to this project at the point to be able to sell it; I prefer to work on it as a part of my paper hobby and that's it... :)

SO, at this point I think I'll release anything I'll finish as free stuff (I'll be just content if someone actually decides to print this stuff and maybe even credit me for having had the original idea :P ), textured version and templates, these latter both at 15mm scale and 30mm scales... :)

what I hope at this point is that if anyone will take the time to produce new texturizations for this project, then they'll post them so that anyone can use them, which would be sinergical since any wall piece built with the same template will be compatible with anything else... :)

now just be a little more patient and in some days I'll be able to release something which I'd be honored if some solitary monk would like to host as free stuff on his site *hint, hint* ;)

so, now I only ask anyone interested in 2.5D terrain to be patient some more days and then you'll be able to get your hands on the templates/texturized versions...

I'll be really happy just to know if someone has had some good time printing and using my terrain... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:39 am 
Cadet
Cadet

point taken, i have to agree about the doors.

i'll try knocking up some textures this weekend, hopefully i could come up with something you like. i've always felt there was great potential for card necro terrain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:26 am 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Those really are wicked. You could easily expand the templates and glue them to some foam core for extra durability. I love your cardboard miniatures, too, they're very fun and functional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:08 am 
Gunner
Gunner

yeah, one could just print textured walls and then attach them to a foamboard medium; true, this would mean losing some of the easyness of construction, but maybe that's no problem for people other than me :)

anyway, I finished the templates and texturing of the 15mm version, but I reckon that in order to publish something here you guys will prefer to wait for the 30mm stuff;

one could always just upscale everything at 167%, but the width of the interlocking tabs would become somewhat too big for cardboard and so one should have to cut them out slightly thinner and take care of the remaining red cutting zone when edging the wall piece;

that's not SO bad, but still I think I deserve to finish at least the templates for the 30mm version;

...and maybe, when I've got time, do a quick texturization of them if people really wants it, even if I'm sure there's lots of people out there better than I am with photoshop that could create great things with the templates...

paper miniatures on the other hand, are my holy saviours: they're cheap, they need A LOT less work to be put togheter (work you've got to give to papercraft and not to painting or such, which for me is a win/win), you get as many as you print and they come at both 30mm scale or 15mm scale depending on how you print them; then again, 15mm miniatures are doubly great as they don't waste so much space when stored, just add a one cent coin as a base and you can even store them into a magnetized box..! I don't know if I'll ever turn back again to 30mm wargaming as I don't usually play at gaming stores, this way I'm way better served... :)

in the next few days I'm gonna print a first 15mm set of 2.5D terrain and then I'm going to convert the templates for 30mm scale, stay tuned, I may be slow but I tend to deliver in the end :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:22 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

hey guys, don't ever say I don't love the fringe, you're getting the 30mm templates first and only (for today), even before the good guys at onemonk's..!

:D

the pdf is somewhat bare, but all the templates are there (all the ones that can fit into an A4 sheet for printing, at least) and I don't think anyone will have problems figuring it out;

you get five wall pieces templates (corner - used to create dead ends and/or bulkheads - small, medium, large and extra large), 3 walkways and an assortment of roofs;

these are blank templates, you'll need to import them in your graphics program at 300dpi and fiddle around with palettes and stuff to texturize them, and finally you'll have to duplicate them, reflect the duplicate vertically and place it beneath the first copy, so you have the two sides of the wall/roof/walkway which you can score at the conjunction, fold and glue togheter :)

if you use a vectorial program you'll probably need to readjust sizes, and I can't really help because I don't have any real experience with said programs...

anything from photoshop to gimp to anything similar should work just fine... :)

so, finally here's the link, feel free to create texturizations and share them with everyone (heck, I'll be content if even one person downloads this stuff :P )!

2.5D terrain 30mm templates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:48 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

well I've downloaded them mate, it'll take me a while to figure out how to do the colouring of them, but i'll be giving it a go.

thanks for the effort you've put into this :)

Urosh Yal, an Orc Stronghold for Skyrim.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=13940

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:05 am 
Gunner
Gunner

for the more lazy here's the 15mm scale texturized version; it's a big file but all is colored and textured; in order to have it feasible for 30mm scale you just need to upscale it to 167% and pay attention not to cut the slots their whole thickness, or you'll end up with loose pieces;

you'll still need to edit the pages in order to print it, but it's for sure less work than to texture them from the start... :)

by the way, since the 30mm templates are re-engineered in order to have anything in place, there could be some inconsistencies should one use both native 30mm texturized templates AND upscaled 15mm pieces... :)

anyhow, I hope someone manages to get something done with these little things and, heck, at least they're free :P

EDIT: I edited the textured version download link to a compressed file sized just 12MB, thanks to Onemonk user Squirmydad that helped reducing the file's size with his acrobat prowess... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:26 am 
Recruit
Recruit

This certainly looks interesting!

Eagerly awaiting the textured 30mm version :)

But are green leaves appropriate for an underhive setting?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:45 am 
Gunner
Gunner

as I wrote in previous posts, this texturization is actually meant for my 15mm Mutants and Death Ray Guns campaign, which is a post-apocalyptical setting with both mutated men, animals and plants (amongst robots, androids, zombie-like wretched and pure men), so it's not the strict necromundan sci-fi genre...

for a 30mm necromundan texturization I think there's not a set date;
ie: on my to-do list it's encoded as "whenever I've got both time AND will to do it", so don't sweat too much on it as for now;

I produced a 30mm version of these cardboard terrain as that's a more common scale to be played on, and I didn't want my idea to be a total miss by making it only for 15mm gaming, which is the scale I'm playing right now (and that I think I'll stick to for a long time for storing reasons), but that was an extra since the beginning, so I'm not putting too much effort in it at this point...

the templates are there and believe me, it's a matter of 2 to 3 hours of fidgeting around with photoshop to manage to give them a texturization sufficient enough to be played on :)

for the really lazy and really overwhelmed by PS I'll post a quick tutorial (nothing too specific, just some guidelines ;) ) to begin with... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:16 am 
Gunner
Gunner

ok, so onto this little tutorial for 2.5D terrain texturing:

I'll be using Adobe Photoshop CS4 for menu references and stuff on this tutorial, but identical options should be present in Gimp, which is freeware;

even before opening PS you got to get some textures from the internet; there are a lot of sites offering free ones, so don't bother looking for anything that wants for you to pay;
also, since you don't need anything more than a 300dpi resolution image, don't sweat it if you only manage to retrieve 256x256 or 512x512 pixels wide texture files;

I got 99% of the textures I used from Onemonk.com (downloads section) and Spiralgraphics.biz; for the latter don't worry about downloading their freeware problem, just go into preview mode for each texture you want and save the preview jpeg, it's good enough for whatever you'll need, and much less of a fuzz altogether... :)

anything else you find and like, go and grab it; searching for "free seamless textures" is your best googling bet...

so, you got your texture files, you have to import them into PS;

you just have to open the image file, then go to edit>define pattern and you're done; the selected image will be uploaded as one of PS' patterns for texturization for latter use. Do this step for all of the textures you want to use... :)

then onto the actual walls and such:

open the image with the template, draw a marquee around the one you want to texturize and paste it into a new document (I prefer to use documents with blank background so that I know what's actually there and what isn't);

the file should already be at 300dpi, so you shouldn't have size or printing issues (you can check this by going into image>image size);
also adjust the size of your working canvas via image>canvas size;

use the magic wand tool to select and delete any white part and only leave the templates' borders visible, then use the magic wand again to draw a marquee inside the templates borders;

with such a marquee selected, go to layer>new layer and create a new layer to work on;

always with the marquee still selected (and with the newly created layer active), select the paint bucket tool and fill the selection with whatever color you like;

at this point you just have to go to layer>layer style>pattern overlay and select the texture you want to add to your colored selection, and voilà, you have got the knack of it all;

now all you need to do is to fiddle around with extra layers, their options (bevel and emboss layer styles are a nice touch in addition to overlay pattern) and whatever until you're satisfied with the result, and when you're ready you go to layer>merge visible; this will give you a single layer with whatever you put onto your image, which you can then copy, paste and reflect vertically through the edit menu, and finally put the reflected copy underneath the original, ready to be printed...

it may sound complicated, but after the first 5 minutes it's a breeze, the real time-waster comes in when you realize you can put whatever detail you want on your texturization and start trying to add more and more stuff on it, but for a quick texture there shouldn't be needed more than 5-10 minutes apiece... :)

so, sorry if I don't go all the way through and make a new texturization at this point, I just hope these bland guidelines can help whoever wants to try and texturize the templates, feel free to ask if you have some more questions..! :)

...and don't forget to go and try stuff, that's the way everyone learns new stuff... ;)

Post subject: Re: new terrain idea from Ciabs: 2.5D terrain!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:42 am 
Cadet
Cadet

I started messing around last nite, combining these templates with topos' Ikube. No results yet, but it has potential... Hopefully no-one will mind too much :(