Login |  Register |  FAQ

Easy Barricade Tuorial

Post subject: Easy Barricade Tuorial
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:39 am 
Cadet
Cadet

Sorry it took so long to get this posted, chaps. Double shifts and other commitments interfered as ever. Anyway, lets make some barricades:

INTRO: What you'll need

ImageImage

You will need your usual range of cutting tools (scissors and hobby knife) and a metal rule for cutting. Although it's not pictured, you can probably figure out for yourself that you'll need glue (PVA). If you hadn't realised that you might need to stick this lot together then you probably shouldn't read on :wink:

The two odd looking tools in the centre of the mat are crimping tools - a must for anyone doing post apocalyptic terrain IMO. The bottom one is a really cheap version with plastic teeth which will only cost a couple of quid from a craft shop. This will only crimp thicknesses up to that of a greetings card and even then it'll probably have to go through twice. However, for a few more pounds (I got mine for £7 from ebay) you can get one like the higher of the two pictured which has aluminium teeth. For the small extra expense this is definately worth it. This will put a lovely, crisp crimp in pretty much anything that'll fit through it. Incidentally, you won't need both. I only pictured the two of them so you could compare for yourselves. Moving on...

The actual materials you will need (from left to right) are:

1) 1mm or thicker card board
2) Coffee stirrers or similar
3) Card. I've used cereal box but you can use something thinner if need be (old Christmas cards are ideal if you have them)

STEP 1: The frame

Take your coffee stirrers, snap them into lengths and glue them together as pictured, allowing about ten minutes for the glue to dry a litttle. Whatever length and height you use is up to you.

ImageImage

You may notice in the second pic that I've sandwiched some small peices of stirrer at the ends for additional strength.

STEP 2: Metal madness

Firstly, crimp a length of card and cut up into some small pieces. You will see I've also used some uncrimped card too. This gives the finished barricade a more authentic, non-uniform look.

ImageImage

Now layer these pieces onto one side of the stirrer frame, glueing them down with plenty PVA. The beauty of this entire process is that you don't have to be neat.

ImageImage

IMPORTANT: let the PVA dry clear before moving on to the next step.

STEP 3: Rinse & repeat

Cut the excess card along the base of the frame so you have a flat edge on the barricade's bottom.

ImageImage

As an afterthought, I glued the removed excess card back onto the barricade on the left. this just adds an extra layer of detail but is not necessary to make the barricade effective.

Repeat the process on the other side of the frame and we're nearly done.

ImageImage

STEP 4: Lean on me

Although the barricade will stand nicely as they are, I usually add some small pieces of thick card or plasticard along the bottom of the barricade for extra depth and stability. It helps to glue the thick card on, stand the barricade upright and slide the thick card pieces down so they touch your work surface. These "feet" will ensure the barricade's stability.

ImageImage

STEP 5: All done!

Once the all the PVA has dried clear I cover the whole thing in a layer of watered down PVA for strength. The thick card "feet" can have their edges filed for a weathered look if you like...I do!

Well, that's it. Once dry, undercoat and paint. I won't tell you how to go about painting your barricade; that's up to you (and I've run out of undercoat) but in true Blue Peter fashion, here's one I made earlier:

Enjoy!

NB: In the time it took to watch Krull and the beginning of Ladyhawk (yes, I'm having an 80's fantasy afternoon) I completed 3 barricades, uploaded all the photos and wrote this tutorial. Painting one of these for the table will take about 20 mins +10mins per extra barricade. This is possibly the quickest terrain project you will undertake. Lovely stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:41 pm 
Cadet
Cadet

very nice! thanks for sharing :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:29 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

I got me immediately a crimper after seeing your results! Thanks man! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:59 am 
Cadet
Cadet

You're welcome chaps! Yeah, I love my crimper. Single most usefull bit of terrain making kit I have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:42 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

thanks a lot, im now a proud owner of some similar walls :) mine have added rubble and mesh etc. i didnt have a crimper but an art shop had some crimped card so ive used that. we got fed up of card board box cut out buildings stuck with tape! so we have got to building an industrial looking board. when its done and ive worked out how to put pictures onto forum posts ill add them, if not ill put it onto the gallery.
thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:02 am 
Cadet
Cadet

squevil wrote:
when its done and ive worked out how to put pictures onto forum posts ill add them, if not ill put it onto the gallery.
thanks again

Get yourself a photobucket account and upload your pics. Next each pic there will be a list of codes and URLs (embed codes etc.). The bottom code should be an IMG code. Click on that and it will automatically copy. Then just paste it into your forum post. Hey presto!

Also, there's a shop on eBay which sells some really good terrain bitz like pipes, fans, floor sections and the like. They're all cast fro
Modelling plaster and really good for the price (about £7 + post for a 90 piece bag). I'll post a link when I'm on my lunch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:50 am 
Cadet
Cadet

Here is that link: CLICK ME!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:26 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I think I'll be making some similar ones, with 2 differences:

1) No crimping. I've yet to see a crimper in stores around here and anyway, I've got plenty of corrugated cardboard. Been storing random bits from food packaging and big sheets (about 50x70cm) can be bought for like 96 euro cents around here.

2) No wood. I don't use any wood or at least make it look like something else in my Necromunda terrain. I haven't checked out and can't remember all of the fluff, but I'd think wood is in quite short supply, if any.

This isn't a criticism, these seem really nice, but altering the process slightly seems to work better for me... perhaps for someone else as well. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:56 am 
Private
Private

Great tutorial. I like that the crimped cardboard looks the same from both sides but I don't like how large the crimps are. I find that shipping boxes have a nice tight crimp that looks good at 28mm scale. It is a TON of work though to clean off all of the scraps of cardboard from them though. Excellent paint job on your finished product!

I would love your feedback