Login |  Register |  FAQ

Interest: Card terrain-like Resin Terrain

Post subject: Interest: Card terrain-like Resin Terrain
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:27 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

My group played a bunch of Necromunda last weekend. Over the last few gatherings, I've noticed that my card terrain is getting pretty beat up. Bulkhead connections are fraying and terrain, and some of the buildings are getting damaged from trying to work the bulkhead into place.

On my trips back and forth, I started thinking about making from plasticard terrain. I love the look and feel (and collapsibility) of the card terrain, and plastic would be a ton more durable. The mind mind went a step further.

Thus raises the question: If I built up said terrain out of card (so it's a little more 3D, like having lifted panels and visible pipes), and cast said masters in resin, would people be interested in buying it?

Given how thin the floor panels would be, I'm not anticipating a very high cost. The terrain could be built to fit inside the bulkheads (or similar shapped objects), so it will just be a nicer looking and more durable version of the real terrain.

Of course, the big question is the bulkheads. I was thinking of casting a bunch for personal use, but obviously I could sell them. But could I make something similar and sell that? Suggestions?

What do people think? Is this worth exploring? I'm not looking to become a millionaire, but I'd have to cover my costs and trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:51 pm 
Private
Private

Sounds interesting, do you think it's possible to cast resinpieces as thin as the gangways would need to be? I don't know much about resin casting but most proffesional made resin terrain is pretty expensive if you need to fill a complete Necro table. I have a good amount of Ainsty pieces and though usually fairly priced you'd need to spend a few hundred quid to build even 1 level of pipefarm terrain on 4'x4'.

I'd certainly be interested to see some samples when you have any. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:02 am 
Private
Private

I think it's a really strong idea but I am also reticent that the castings would be strong enough. If you could find a service that prints on plasticard that would be something that I wold most definitely be interested in! Something that is thin, strong and doesn't have the ability to peel.

As far as bulkheads, I support any way to get my hands on cheaper bulkheads. I'm a cheapy cheaperton and wish I had more gaming money!

I would love your feedback

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:28 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

I'm told that the resin will be strong enough. If paper is strong enough, plastic will be. Besides, it's not like there will be a Hive Tyrant on it for a prolonged period of time (which would crush the paper anyways).

It is worth noting that almost all of the buildings have bulkheads running into the building (not just on the outside), and those bulkheads will give a lot of support. I also test fit the connection, and the bulkheads hold 1mm plasticard very tightly.

In looking at the available plastic/resin, there are a variety of available compounds, including a light weight formula.

I'm going to go plasticard shopping tomorrow so I can build up a prototype (the small square building from the base set and a walkway or two). I have a friend with casting experience, and he'll be helping me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:48 am 
Gunner
Gunner

For the building I would have thought resin would be strong enough in a similar thickness. However, the card walkways do have the advantage of the folds in it making it far stronger when a model is placed on top, if you were thinking of making walkways too?

Did you manage to build any test pieces? I would be interested in see what you have come up with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:32 pm 
Private
Private

I can't wait to see your prototype scooterin! Blaze new trails in the world of terrain creation!

I would love your feedback