Login |  Register |  FAQ

bulkheads + plasticard = this thread

Post subject: bulkheads + plasticard = this thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:14 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Hey people, new guy here.

I'm still somewhat noob to both necromunda and working with plasticard, so I figured why not go all in and rebuild all the cardboard terrain with plasticard. Decided to get my feet wet so to speak with the tunnel entrance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:23 pm 
Private
Private

That looks really good! I really like the chipping and weathering, Do you have anymore?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

credit to you. that doesnt look like a 'noob' job. ive never tried plasti card is it good/easy to work with?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:15 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Thats all I've got done so far. I just started the project yesterday. Went down to the local shop today and ordered 8 12"x24" sheets, so moe will be on the way time permiting.

Sheet plastic is a lot easier to work with than i thought it would be for this project. It's not dificult really, just very time consuming measuring drawing tracing and cutting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:24 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

you could sell these for a pretty penny on ebay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:40 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

That looks awesome and if that's your first attempt I can't wait to see what your terrain looks like when you are a veteran!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:52 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Some very wip shots of the second piece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:16 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

I would love to do this myself; I'm having a nightmare bidding on eBay for the card scenery (£60! for cardboard!), lost three bids so far.

What plasticard are you using? What thickness?

How would I go about getting the right dimensions etc. for each piece?

I'm completely new to this, but my attempts at getting ahold of scenery is making think this is a very good idea...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:59 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Ardavion wrote:
I would love to do this myself; I'm having a nightmare bidding on eBay for the card scenery (£60! for cardboard!), lost three bids so far.

What plasticard are you using? What thickness?

How would I go about getting the right dimensions etc. for each piece?

I'm completely new to this, but my attempts at getting ahold of scenery is making think this is a very good idea...

dont buy the card off ebay. they sell it for a stupid price on there. its really now worth it. these plastcard ones will be much better too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:05 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

squevil wrote:
dont buy the card off ebay

I wasn't thinking of doing that, there are a few hobby stores around where I live that I can make a visit to, I just never thought I would ever need to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:52 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

I'm using 0.030" thickness. local hobby shop specilises in rc cars and aircraft but was able to order a bag of 8 sheets of of it for me.

I found the templates of the original card bits online. Google web search for necromunda_terrain.pdf and it should show up at the top. the pdf has a handy ruler scale thing on the side of each picture so you can make sure you print them at the propper size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:56 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

ironblood wrote:
I'm using 0.030" thickness. local hobby shop specilises in rc cars and aircraft but was able to order a bag of 8 sheets of of it for me.

I found the templates of the original card bits online. Google web search for necromunda_terrain.pdf and it should show up at the top. the pdf has a handy ruler scale thing on the side of each picture so you can make sure you print them at the propper size.

Already have the template file, but the printing options I have mean that the scale isn't quite right (checked with a ruler); I'm still bidding for some of the real stuff to get the proper scale, and then I'll be able to cut the plasticard (which in my neck of the woods appears to be called sheet styrene) to the right size, and perhaps I can export the images from the file into a drawing application to clean them up and resize them slightly.

Thanks for the heads up on the thickness; are you doubling up the board, as it looks like it from the detail you're putting on the boards (cutting through one sheet and applying to to another)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:25 am 
Recruit
Recruit

I printed them at no rescale and auto rotate and center using standard us sized printer paper and so far they are fine, the ruler lines didn't fit exactly for me either, but once you start layering plastic it wont all fit perfectly anyhow.

I try to do the main construction for the wall bits in 3 layers. The main layer is one sheet with pannel lines scribed on. They are fairly deep but not all the way through, its enough to slightly deform the plastic on the underside. Then I cut out the "background" parts from the template and trace the "middle areas" on a second piece. Then cut those away and trace out the "top bits" and sandwich them all togeather.

For the floor I do the following:
- Trace the template 3 times, 2 layers of plastic and a layer of foamcore. On the bottom layer of plastic I slot in a bulkhead and trace arround the top of the bulkhead, then remove and cut them out.
-Then I go back and trace the larger slot onto the foamcore and cut that out.
- Next I glue the 3 layers togeather and add the bulkheads (they slot into the top layer).
-Once that is all assembled I glue a 1/4" strip arround the ourside edge to neaten it up and superglue/baking soda all the joins and file everything smooth.

I like to sink the floors slightly like this because it really adds a LOT of sturdyness to the floors and keeps the floor height correct for all necromunda terrain that may or may not be connected to it in the future. If someone comes over and brings some card terrain it sould be 100% compatible with the plastic versions I'm building ( slot on paper walkways are the only forseeable exception with there thin slots made to fit on cardboard floors)

I really kinda suck at describing things, so i'll take some step by step pics when I do the second smaller floor for this piece if you'd like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:57 am 
Recruit
Recruit

Another quick update, I started adding some details on the ground level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:22 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

These look amazing! I like how you were able to use foamcore to strengthen the floors while still keeping them the same height. I'm wondering though, why have the bottom layer or plasticard? No one is going to see the bottom except on the very tallest buildings.

Cutting/punching and gluing those rivets is one of the things that kept me from making any serous necromunda terrain in the past. If i go back to it i will use embossing, the 2nd method seen here: http://www.ironhands.com/h2rivet.htm

If you go ahead and mount your walls on a 4th layer, you can cut apart the panel lines you scored and use this method. No extra layers needed for the floors since they are mounted on foamcore.