Login |  Register |  FAQ

Building Material Dimension Question

Post subject: Building Material Dimension Question
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:29 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Alrighty folks, I'm in the process of continually scouting the local hardware/hobby/etc stores around town for building materials. I have a good sense on WHAT materials to get, but not the DIMENSIONS. More specifically, the thickness of the following materials:

-plasticard
-MDF (for making bases)
-high-density polystyrene boards (for terrain building...one blueprint I would like to try calls for 1" thick, Home Depot only sells it in 1/2" or 2" thickness, doh!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:44 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

MDF - Bases
Depends on what you are going to put on them. If, for instance you are going to put lots of PVA and gravel on them, then I would suggest 6mm MDF as it will warp less than if you used 3mm MDF.

3mm MDF is easier to work with, so if no major amount of PVA is being used, them 3mm will do.

Plasticard
I use 1mm as it is easy to cut. If I want it thicker, then I glue on another layer of plasticard (sometimes diamond plate over the top to give it a finished look). 2mm might be a bit harder to cut (particularly if you want nice long straight lines).

Poly board
Have only tinkered with this stuff, but have seen some mates do some nice work. Note - if you go 2 x 1/2" thick and glue together, be careful what adhesive you use - some have a chemical reaction which will heat up and then melt the poly (ie liquid nails will do this). Strong and lovely to cut without the mess. For some reason though, all gamers insist on seeing how strong it is by leaving thumb imressions in them......

Anyway, I hope that I have been of some assistance.

Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:11 am 
Recruit
Recruit

plasticard: It really varies on the intended use I would have to say. For my necromunda boxed set terrain project I'm using layers of 0.030" wich is about 0.75mm or so.

I use 1/4" mdf for bases when I use it. I prefer 1/8" hardboard to mdf, it tends not to get as soft and fuzzy over time down here in humid Florida.

All I can say about insulation foam is I feel your pain. Being down here in FL all we used to have available was 1/2", but now the local home repair shops stopped carrying even that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:06 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Both of you have been quite helpful! Thanks!

Plasticard is something that I'd probably use less as a construction material and more for cutting out details for finishing touches...but building walls out of it isn't out of the question.

Thankfully Lowe's does carry the 1" variety of poly board, I plan on doing the blueprint for GW's Ziggurat, which should give me a nice tiered 2'x2' terrain piece.