Login |  Register |  FAQ

Better than Necromunda bulkheads?

Post subject: Better than Necromunda bulkheads?
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:59 am 
Cadet
Cadet

Here is a video of a set of modular scenery building tiles which are currently being worked on. I think they look very, very impressive...

I'm looking to fill a table with this stuff as it'll go perfectly with my 12" square, 100mm deep, flippable, modular base tiles. Or at least I hope so...

Post subject: Re: Better than Necromunda bulkheads?
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:16 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

Wow those are cool!

I am going to have to get me some of these. I really like the road barricade. I can almost imagine the good guys or bad for that matter cutting across the open dirt field guns a-blazing. Just need a bit more sandbags :)

McCragge

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:05 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I've not been a big fan of Mantic's stuff overall but even I like these. The trick will be the pricing, as I'd rather spend money on models than terrain usually!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:19 am 
Cadet
Cadet

I think we're talking less than 90p per 3"x3" tiles which, compared to Necro bulkheads at £1.50 - £2.00 each is pretty good in my book. Plus freebies will be added to the bigger sets soon.

It's a kickstarter at present, so if you're not into that kind of thing you'll probably be waiting until mid 2014 to get any. I've never backed a kickstarter before but because I think this product has the potential to be a game-changer in all senses, I'm pledging money now with delivery by Christmas.

I've not spent any money on off-the-shelf terrain since the '90s Necro stuff and, while I might seem like I'm being a bit OTT, I think this new stuff could totally replace my collection. The Necro bulkheads IMHO are a war gaming icon, but as the years went by I wished more and more for matching walls floors and ceilings all modular and interlinking... I may have discovered my Holy Grail!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:21 am 
Cadet
Cadet

mafiacheese wrote:
I've not been a big fan of Mantic's stuff overall

I've never bought any Mantic before, are they reliable and quality products?

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:26 am 
Cadet
Cadet

McCragge wrote:
Wow those are cool!

Yup, and they're posting more videos over the next week or two. I'm hoping to see pre-production resins of the various scenery sets (hopefully the industrial one) and some actual (rather than CG) footage of the tiles being assembled and disassembled.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:41 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

ComfySofa wrote:
mafiacheese wrote:
I've not been a big fan of Mantic's stuff overall

I've never bought any Mantic before, are they reliable and quality products?

I've never bought any myself actually. They have a few cool models but as a whole I haven't been really impressed. A lot of their stuff very much emulates GW products, which is fine for conversions and alt models but there's already enough of that out there, I prefer originality. I mean, if I'm going to want to play something other than 40K, I don't want to play another company's mimicked version of the same thing.

I'm more impressed by companies that do their own thing, like MERCs, I guess. Dystopian corporate-run future that emulates some old Cold War-era hostilities and is all human (no aliens, robots, etc)...the idea is not 100% original but it's safe to say I'm very interested in it for, if nothing else, being DIFFERENT.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:26 am 
Cadet
Cadet

Yeah I've been hearing that Mantic get a bit of stick for mini concepts not being too original, but I think the rebel faction is first rate, with a rag-tag multi-racial character. There was a bit of a backlash when pictures of the early sculpts for the marauders (orx) were released, as they were too far removed from the concept art which had a combat veteran feel. Mantic are resculpting though, so it's nice that they listen to their customers, a point on which they could never be compared to GW :D

I think they have a good game concept too, but I'm definitely most interested in the scenery. My only concern is that, being as this is my first Kickstarter and first purchase from Mantic, are they reliable enough to actually deliver what they're promising?

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:53 am 
Cadet
Cadet

It's not actually happened yet, but Mantic have just said they will very soon be adding a stretch goal which adds an extra 30% to the scenery bundles for free.

I was already going to pledge for the biggest set, so now it's even bigger! WIN.

If there's anyone reading this who's been sitting on the fence, there's still time to grab a discounted Early Bird deal. If they sell out before you decide, just don't say I didn't warn you :D

Also, comprehensive gameplay and terrain videos will be released very soon, and it's been confirmed that two different ways of playing linked games as campaigns will be included.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:03 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

From what I understand Mantic as a company is at least great about following through with promises. Not sure about the product quality as no one I know has adopted anything other than 40K (much to my disappointment...I like 40K but would love to embrace other games).

I can say I won't be supporting this Kickstarter, not because of any dislike of their products (because this Deadzone stuff looks nicemespecially the terrain), but simply because of a lack of fundage. :( KS has so many great products but paying bills comes first I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:19 am 
Cadet
Cadet

mafiacheese wrote:
Deadzone stuff looks nice especially the terrain

I know you mentioned money is tight, but Mantic have been working hard on the value for money front, and now the tiles are working out at around 49p each due to extra sprues being thrown in and more on each sprue. For hard plastic modular scenery which looks great I don't think it can be beaten :)

I'm really excited! (can you tell?)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:53 am 
Cadet
Cadet

Build Cities!

http://deadzonethegame.com/guides/build-cities.html

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:39 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

Holy Crap that is awesome!!! And a tankers nightmare!

If I had the duckets....man that would be cool!

McCragge

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:02 am 
Cadet
Cadet

What's a tanker?

I think I'm going to get a mix of all four of the terrain styles, but mostly I'll stick to the ones from my original picture. The fortifications look pretty good and will make for some interesting scenarios.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:14 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

A tanker is someone who drives a Tank.

And trying to drive a tank through that landscape would be a nightmare, infantry easily being able to get in close and ambush your tank would be a huge problem and concern :)

McCragge