Login |  Register |  FAQ

[Ian 25] Opportunity Knocks

Post subject: [Ian 25] Opportunity Knocks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:10 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Ian was almost running. Chigger had passed along a juicy tidbit of information. Some Guilders who had been passing through yesterday had let slip that a new dome had been discovered, one that promised a “’treasure trove’ of archeotech that has not been seen in the underhive in many a century”. He wanted to make sure Dyrke heard about this, and quick.

As he reached the bottom of the stairs, in his haste, Ian bowled Amber over. The pair ended up intertwined on the floor of the hallway.

“Um… are you ok?” Ian asked as he stood up, and then helped the woman to her feet.

“Yea, I’m good. Where you off to in such a hurry?”

“I need to see Dyrke. Is he down here?”

“Check the main room. I haven’t seen him all day.”

“Catch you later for dinner,” Ian said over his shoulder as he jogged off down the hall.

“Looking forward to it,” was her whispered reply.

-=-=-=0=-=-=-

“No.”

Ian’s mind was having a hard time wrapping around the words coming out of his leader’s mouth. He had grown to trust this man with his life, but it just didn’t make sense. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity. This kind of thing does not come knocking very often.

“But, Boss…”

“I said no Ian. We are in control of a vital resource for House Van Saar right here and we are not moving.”

Ian adjusted himself and waited further reprimand. When it didn’t come he allowed himself to exhale. Dyrke dismissed the young man with a wave of his hand. Turning back to his thoughts Dyrke realized that there would be other chances to contribute to this new find. It would just have to be from afar.

-=-=-=0=-=-=-

Fist looked around the storage room. It was cramped with boxes of supplies piled above his 1.8 meter tall frame, only a small pathway led through to an opening in the rear of the room. In the back there was a small counter that separated the small 3 meter square open area and a gated door that led to another room beyond. Looking around there was no one to be seen. ‘This has got to be a mistaken’, he thought to himself glancing down at the paper his Commandant had handed him when he clumsily explained that Fist was to graduate early. He was not one to enjoy being someone’s plaything, and this reeked off someone – or something – pulling the strings surrounding his life.

“Anyone here”, he finally called out as he rapped his knuckles on the small counter.

“We meet again Enforcer, or should I say, ‘Sergeant’ Fist.”

Fist turned to meet the familiar voice. “Judge Malcavoy,” Fist said as he assumed a parade stance, “a… pleasure… to see you again.”

“Yes it is Fist,” the Judge said with a smirk. He motioned for his two Cyber Mastiff companions to sit and assume a guarded stance. The sound of the gyros was slightly unnerving, even for one who trains around the beasts regularly. Fist shifted in his stance involuntarily. “It would seem that you have continued to prove yourself, despite my first impressions of you Enforcer.” Fist could feel the hackles on the back of his neck begin to rise, and the two beasts seemed to respond to it. Judge Malcavoy continued without apparently noticing any change, “You have proven me incorrect in my assessment. A rarity, I assure you. Your file shows that you were to graduate at the top of your class.”

Fist was about to thank the Judge but was not given the opportunity. Producing a large envelope from somewhere within his commissar-like overcoat the Judge continued.

“The reason you are here is that I am bestowing upon you the rare honor of having me give you your first assignment.” Fist wanted to say something along the lines of ‘you shouldn’t have’, but quickly thought better of it.

“A recent discovery of a large dome has prompted several interested parties to begin the immediate reclamation of the area, in the name of our benevolent Lord Helmawr of course.” The judge looked up to gauge any response, but Fist managed to maintain his composure.

“It would also seem that said ‘interested parties’ have already run into some degree of lawlessness as those who live outside of the city seem to feel that this is some kind of opportunity to discover some long lost archeo. In turn I have been requested to oversee the implementation of several Enforcer precincts in the area. You are to be the first.”

Fist began to feel something akin to pride in this honor. Despite his… reservations about the Judge… the man was renowned for his enforcement of Lord Helmawr’s law, and other things.

“Since you are still green… Sergeant, I have taken steps to choose your patrol and arrange for their equipment. I would not normally entrust such a sensitive mission to one of your status, but my options are fairly limited right now.” Fist could feel his ego begin to deflate. “Enclosed within this envelop you will find a dossier of each man I have selected. Again, I have been somewhat inhibited, but I think you will find each man capable.”

Fist ripped open the end of the envelope as Judge Malcavoy continued.

“Unfortunately time did not allow me to assemble all of the men before you are to depart. I will personally see to it that they arrive as quickly as possible. The ones who were readily available I have waiting outside.”

Fist reviewed the roster and each man’s specialty. ‘A Heavy Stubber, good; a Grenade Launcher’, he would have preferred a flamer but that would be fine, it would have to be apparently; ‘A sniper? Interesting; an assault trained Enforcer with a Cyber Mastiff; and a pair of standard shotgun Enforcers – they should form a good core’ he thought to himself.

“Sir, this is an excellent group of men, but…” Fist hesitated. He didn’t want to appear to be questioning his superior’s choices. “… why a sniper? I mean, in my experience, I have never seen the need for such a thing.”

“Your experience is barely worth noting Sergeant,” Judge Malcavoy interrupted. “Contingo is an excellent man, and you will find that he will be able to get you out of jams your own inexperience will lead you into. Any more questions?”

Fist hesitated. Even if had more questions, he wasn’t going to speak up now.

“Oh, and there is one more thing. I have decided that ‘Fist’ is too barbaric. It is too crude and is not a proper reflection of one who enforces the just laws of Lord Helmawr.”

Fist looked up, confused.

“Your name from here on out is ‘Manus’. A more proper and appropriate name don’t you think?”

But before Fist could respond the judge turned on his heals and started for the door. The Cyber Mastiffs waited until their master passed and then turned to follow.

“Oh, and you won’t be carrying that crude shotgun you so favored either,” he called over his disappearing shoulder. “I have left you a present. There on the counter," the judge said with a flip of his hand.

Fist stood their dumbfounded. Was there nothing this man did not feel he could control? He started to wonder if he would ever enjoy any sort of free reign, even as a Sergeant. He began to loathe this unwanted mentor, even more deeply than before.

Turning back to the counter Fist noticed a rectangular military style container; the locking clasps were facing him. Not knowing what else to do he opened up the box.

Inside, held with form fitting insulating foam, was a Power Maul, two power cells, a slightly decorated Bolt Pistol with ‘Manus’ and his new rank etched into the side, and two full clips of ammunition.

Manus drew out the Bolt Pistol to get a feel for it in his hand. As he slid his finger across the trigger a small beam of red light darted out and lit a small dot on one of the surrounding crates. Holding it with two hands he raised it up and sighting down his new weapon looked straight at the dot. Squeezing the trigger he let the hammer fall on the empty chamber. “It may not be my idea of an opportunity, but one can never overlook the generosity of others”, Fist thought to himself as he slipped the gift into the holster strapped to his right leg. “After all, opportunity does not come knocking all that often.”

===============================================

Last edited by s4G on Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:42 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:36 am 
Necroliscious

great as ever.

good characters.

typo on grenade launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:33 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thanks Speshul. I've corrected the typo, and while skimming over the piece I changed the last sentence to better convey what I was thinking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:44 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I have been trying to get my creative juices flowing again, and in doing so I reviewed this piece. In doing so I have updated the 2nd half of this story, and began an outline to carry on the first half.

More to come (soon, I hope)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:13 pm 
DOWN HIVE MISFIT

Soon! Please! :D

http://www.krug666.blogspot.com

Buy my junk

http://www.ebay.com/sch/krug_tr6_138/m. ... pg=&_from=