Login |  Register |  FAQ

Pierrepoint Posse - Chapter One

Post subject: Pierrepoint Posse - Chapter One
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:13 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Alfred Pierrepoint’s Righteousness

The settlement of New Righteousness was founded by Henry, and Thomas Pierrepoint’s father Alfred, Albert’s grandfather.

Alfred had led his extended family and several other families down into the underhive after the continued deterioration of their neighbourhood in Hive City. The final straw was when Alfred’s eldest son and namesake was coerced into drug addiction, first with spook and then to icrtoic slime. The family tried to deal with their son themselves but their lenience stopped when it became known the unmentionable means that young Alfred was going to, to feed his habit. For his father, the worst offence was stealing from the Church of Redemption. To others this misdemeanour was insignificant to the other depravities he had resorted to. Alfred handed his son over to the Enforcers whilst he was out of his mind on drugs. It is not known what became of his son, for Alfred set off that very day for the underhive. Henry and Thomas were grief stricken for their elder brother, over ten years their senior, their role model whom they idolised. This was the reason that their father took the decision he did. He did not want the same life for his other children.

But why lead the family to the underhive, Alfred’s wife questioned him during their journey. After all, the lawlessness in Hive City paled in comparison to the depravity of the underhive. Alfred’s reasons were many, but boiled down to the disgrace their family had endured, and the hope to carve out a simpler existence where their family and friends would be free to live their lives as they saw fit. Alfred was a proud man. He had inherited this from his father, also Alfred, who rose to the ranks of Colonel in the Necromundan Guard. He had fought in many battles for the Imperium, and retired with honour. The same path was laid out for his son, until a brutal drill sergeant cruelly ended that dream in basic training. He shattered Alfred’s left knee so severely that he could never pass the military requirements, and would always walk with a limp. This sense of failure and worthlessness plagued Alfred all his life until the day he made the decision to leave for the underhive. Now he had purpose, other than working in a factory, and so would his family. They would make a success of themselves, he was sure of that. He had inherited something else from his father. A powersword awarded to his father for his service on retirement. This sword would have great meaning to the family in the underhive, and sooner than they would think.

As I have mentioned, the Pierrepoint family were a family of faith. Of faith in the Emperor, and in the teachings of the Redemption. Like many soldiers, Alfred’s father was a man a discipline, of puritanical beliefs. He enjoyed cold showers, and putting his body through tremendous tests of endurance. Even as an octogenarian he would run 10k before breakfast. Their position within the Church and House Cawdor, garnered them great respect in the community. And so they were accompanied by several other families on their pilgrimage. They were also accompanied by a young deacon from their church who was tasked with setting up a chapel in their community. His name was Obadiah Rose, a zealous man who was uncompromising in his beliefs. He was a rising star in the Church, with a faith in the Emperor second to none. He seemed to have a dark side, and was tainted with rumours and accusations. He was moved to Alfred’s church after an unsavoury, but unknown incident at his previous post. There were also allegations of connections with the rapidly growing Cult of Redemption that was spreading through the hive like wildfire. These paramilitaries were extremists and extremely dangerous in the eyes of the moderate church. However these allegations against Rose were never proved, and always fiercely denied. It was decided by the priest therefore that he would be honoured with leading the spiritual colonisation of a small part of the underhive under the leadership of Alfred Pierrepoint. This was a stepping stone to becoming a priest, the pinnacle of a clergyman’s career. It did cross Alfred’s mind that perhaps this was a convenient method of getting Obadiah out of the way, but he put this to the back of his mind.

Trouble seemed to attract them almost as soon as they arrived at their destination. Within days of unpacking their shelters and assembling their water purification, the community, now named Righteousness, had been ‘welcomed’ by a group of thugs who racketeered around the nearby settlement. They were also from House Cawdor so hospitality and pleasantries were exchanged, but it was felt by Alfred that the protection that this group offered, would come at some cost. They were known as the Old Town Martyrs. However his concerns did not materialise as he thought. Righteousness started to prosper, and more settlers started to flock to this beacon of hope in a sea of despair. Under Alfred’s leadership and with a watchful eye from the Martyrs, the community, and its mine workings, were flourishing. However all was not well in that sector of the underhive. The Old Town Martyrs were engaged in a brutal gang war with several Orlock factions, and there were signs, that the Cult of Redemption was starting to find followers within the communities and the Martyrs’ gang. Deacon Rose’s sermons at the small chapel soon became strongly followed, with Sunday’s attendance overwhelming the small chapel. People stood in the aisles, and even listened through windows from outside. This certainly drew some unwanted attention from the Martyrs, and the Guilders, who although pleased with Righteousness’s progress and the zeal of their deacon, were concerned that they may cross the line and join the Cult.

Deacon Rose had become friendly with a man known as James Inglis. He took him in, and hid him from the many different groups looking for him, including the Martyrs and the Enforcers. Inglis was accused of conscripting members for the Cult, and for the execution of several notable businessmen including a Guilder. His protection ceased when Righteousness was visited by the Martyrs’ leader, whose name Henry could never recall. He spoke with Alfred Pierrepoint who was accompanied by his son Henry in the mine office. He explained how dangerous this man was, but Alfred trusted his Deacon’s judgement. He told the Gang Leader that Inglis had been seen at several sermons, but Rose had sworn to him not to know his whereabouts. This satisfied the Martyr, but as he was leaving he mentioned to Alfred that he’d heard rumours regarding Rose in the nearby town, regarding actions and vices inappropriate for a Deacon of the Church of Redemption.

This worried Alfred. To the extent that after the Martyrs had left, he went to the chapel with Henry to speak to Obadiah. The chapel was empty so Alfred knocked on the door of Rose’s private quarters. There was no answer. Alfred turned and started to walk away, but then stopped, deciding to leave a message. He entered through the door. It was locked, but with a key that he had the master to. Inside he saw Inglis reading from the Book of Redemption. He explained how they had been visited by the Martyrs and how they were risking a great deal sheltering him. He also asked where Rose was, and when Inglis explained that he was in town, Alfred left the message that he wanted to speak to him on his return.

Again Alfred went to leave, but turned to Inglis to warn him to keep his head down. At this very moment Alfred heard what sounded like a muffled female voice in distress in Rose’s bedroom. He looked at Inglis, whose face had turned as white as a sheet. Henry ran at the door knocking it from its hinges. In the room he saw his sister, Mary, naked, spread eagled, gagged and strapped to the bed. He immediately ran over to Mary, and covered her with his cloak. Alfred had by this time come into the room after knocking Inglis out with the pommel of his powersword. There was nobody else in the room, but looking at his daughter he saw her fearful eyes pointing to the wardrobe. Inside was Rose, wearing nothing but a Cult of the Redemption hood. A flick of the sword handed out instant justice to the disgusting Deacon. Alfred made sure that he would never commit this barbarity again. But he was a man of justice, and would not act as judge, jury and executioner. Rose had passed out from the pain, and was bleeding profusely. Henry had gone to get his brother, Thomas and some other men, and when they arrived they tied up the body and dragged him into the small square at the centre of the settlement. The settlers were shocked when they discovered the betrayal and horror that Rose had perpetrated, and that Inglis had allowed to happen. They were especially disgusted at how Rose, a man of the church had done this to a thirteen year old girl.

The trial was arranged for the next day. Alfred sat as judge, with men and women of the settlement as jury. Henry Pierrepoint acted as prosecutor, and Harry Dernley was persuaded against his wishes to act as defence. There was little need for a trial though, the evidence on Mary’s body was enough, but Rose’s fate was sealed by Inglis, who trying to save his own skin turned on his protector. He told of Rose’s deeds both in town and in the settlement. Inglis told the court how Rose had become a frequenter of whorehouses in town, but had been barred from them all due to his perversion for burning the girls with candlewax, leaving scars not acceptable to the girls’ owners. This had led him to look closer to the home where he had manipulated Nancy Marwood, a fourteen year old girl, into becoming his regular companion. She had accidentally walked in on him naked, which Rose took advantage of by using his position to convince her she would be in serious trouble, unless she agreed to his ever increasing demands. He had then the day before, as Mary Pierrepoint brought food for him and Inglis, set upon her, and tied her to the bed. Alfred stopped Inglis there.

This information was enough for the court. They found him guilty immediately. Alfred, now incandescent with rage sentenced Rose to death, and pronounced that he would perform the execution. He banished Inglis from the settlement, on pain of death if he ever returned.

The community filed out of the chapel, where the trial had been held, into the settlement’s small square. Henry placed a crate in the middle, and then stood with his mother and sister who were sobbing uncontrollably. Thomas dragged Rose to the crate with a rope round his hands and neck. Alfred then solemnly with powersword in hand, walked over to Rose. He shouted to the crowd how the Emperor would hold the true punishment for this monster. He released Inglis, who walked away from the square, but stopped just in view of Rose, morbid fascination overcoming him. Alfred Pierrepoint activated the sword. It glowed brightly and hummed in a reassuring key. He raised the sword above his head. In the instant that he brought the sword down a truck and several bikes screeched into the settlement. Alfred had missed his mark, but still sliced off the top of Rose’s skull, revealing his perverted brain quivering in the blue glow of the sword. From the trucks emerged the Martyrs including their leader. Alfred not being a cruel man, although slightly satisfied with the Rose’s pain, finished him off with a fierce blow to the neck. Meanwhile Inglis was running for his life, but was being toyed with by the Martyrs like cats with a mouse. Finally a ganger riding a bike, knocked him off his feet leaving him winded in a heap. Without words, the Martyr’s leader signalled to the rest of the gang who started to open fire with autoguns, bolters, and pistols. They riddled his body with bullets, starting with his arms and legs before moving on to his stomach, chest and head. He was unrecognisable when they finished, but to complete the job, the Martyr’s heavy stepped forward and cremated the body with his flamer.

Alfred and the Martyr’s leader approached each other. There was great tension in the air, not surprisingly, given the turn of events. News had spread to the town regarding Rose’s trial, and the discovery of Inglis. The Martyrs had to accept that Alfred was unaware of Rose’s protection of Inglis. There was nobody left to say otherwise. Their leader was also concerned when he heard of the evidence associating Rose to the redemption. This would further escalate the conflict between the gangs in the area, and the pressure being put on the Martyrs by the cult. He therefore asked Alfred for increased protection money, to compensate for the position he had put them in. He grudgingly excepted, but this new amount was more than they could afford.

A depression gripped the settlement over the coming months. They were working harder for less, as their profits were being siphoned off. What little money they had was being spent on weapons to defend themselves. Alfred’s leadership deteriorated with his mind and his health. What he had allowed to happen to his daughter and community would torment him for the rest of his days. Henry although only sixteen started to take up a much greater role within Righteousness. He appointed his brother, Thomas as the new minister for the chapel. He held together his family as best he could and comforted his sister. He grew close to Nancy Marwood, whose ordeal he empathised with. He also presided over the funerals of several settlers, killed by the fighting that was escalating in the region. The Martyrs and the Cult had running battles through the settlement on several occasions. There was even an assassination in the chapel one Sunday. Things came to a head, when Mary, his sister, unexpectedly gave birth to a baby boy. She was a slight girl, and had never really shown she was pregnant. She didn’t even know it herself. She named the boy Paskah and insisted that he keep his father’s name. She wanted some good to come out of what had happened. This was the final straw though for Alfred. He died of a massive stroke on hearing the news. And this was the final straw for Henry. He had resisted moving the settlement until now because of his father’s reluctance and poor health. This was no longer a consideration.

Like their first move, the decision was taken without delay, and they packed and left the very next morning. They relocated to Sector 313, an area fairly uninhabited until recently, when archeotech had been discovered in many, small, previously undisturbed domes. They called their settlement New Righteousness, and flourish it would.

Last edited by Blue Moon on Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:15 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Its a long time since I've written any fiction, and showed it to anyone. Probably GCSE English!

Its a work in progress, and there will hopefully be more chapters.

Any critique, grammer mistakes, or general comments would be welcome.

Thanks for reading.

BM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:38 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

An intresting read, especially since I've not read very many stories concerning House Cawdor.

There are sposts that are harder to read than others. If I understand you second post English is not your first language? I think you wrote fairly well. Unfortunately I am nto really sure how to make recommendations for improvement.

I will try and get back to this piece and see if I can pick out an example.

Overall I think this is a nice piece, and I would be interested in reading a little more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:48 am 
Recruit
Recruit

Thanks s4G

I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment on it.

English is my first language, I hope only my 2nd post made you think it wasn't and not my writing! GCSE, is just the school examinations in the UK at 16 years of age. Everyone has to do English language and literature.

Any recommendations would be appreciated when you have the time.

I've always been interested in coming up with my own fluff, for whatever game system I've played. This is the first time I've done so for Necromuna though, and also the first time I've written it into a short (very short at the moment!) story, as opposed to more of an encyclopedic account of all the characters.

What you've read so far, is kind of a prologue before the story develops with the upcoming campaign I'm going to be playing in.

I tried to right it very much in the past tense, including any dialogue. I'm not sure I went about this in the right way, but I feel it reads ok.

I'll try and get the second installment finished asap.

Thanks again

BM