Login |  Register |  FAQ

BY THE DUST OF 'EM ALL: Chapter 5

Post subject: BY THE DUST OF 'EM ALL: Chapter 5
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:16 pm 
DOWN HIVE MISFIT

CHAPTER 5 :HOMECOMING

Dead Mans Hole. One of the eeriest and most sinister Underhive settlements on all of Necromunda. It was rumored to be built on top of an ancient Ratskin burial site, cursed by a chaos worshipping wyrd and birthplace of the zombie plague. He never knew which of the three was true but he grew up believing it like every other juve and green hiver did. The settlement was built in a strange semi-circle. It had one way in and one way out. One safe way that is, there are alternate routes, but those are dangerous even by a Ratskin’s standards. The notorious Dead Mans Pass tunnel system still functions as the towns “Dead End”back wall. Those who went in rarely came out. The Stranger and his brother had used it in their youth, but even then he was scarred to. Rumors of ghosts and demons that roamed the tunnels preying on anyone who trespassed.
He smiled to himself. How you perceive things in your mind when the vastness of the galaxy is presented to you really does change.

He walked into town roughly around nightfall, the glow-globes and street lamps dimming to simulate dusk. No one looked at him, the people of Dead Mans Hole kept to themselves, which at the moment he was thankful for. He made his way over to Brassers, one of many drinking holes where he and his brother had drunk themselves silly. Brasser’s was special though, it was an all Orlock bar, owned by an old timer who was once a powerful ganglord when Grimskull was a juve. Everybody called him “Sarge” but his name was Sergio Cohen. Fifty years ago the Brasser’s gang ruled most of the Underhive, Orlocks never had it better. Now all they had to show for it was a bar that only served House members.
Still, it was a place the Stranger knew he could definitely stir some trouble up in.

Brasser’s was a complete opposite from the town outside its doors. The streets were cold, dark and lonely, Brasser’s was warm,loud and jumping with activity. Hundreds of Orlocks from different gangs drank, swore, argued and gambled while a live band pounded out music and gorgeous women mingled about.
He stood in the doorway for a moment, taking in the feeling of being an Orlock, and what it meant. He looked over the crowd spotting the different gang logos on coats, vests, jackets, shirts etc.
He sat at the bar and ordered a Wild Snake and a shot of amasec. He downed the shot and sipped his beer, he recognized a few of the gangs here by name or reputation but none by face.

“ Saya pal?” he asked the bartender.

“ Yeah?” he answered not turning from the drink he was stirring.

“ How’s the Sarge these days?”

“ Ask him yourself stranger, he’s over at the craps table.”

“Thanks, I will.” The Stranger said getting up to walk over to the gambling den.

He was halfway their when someone from the crowd called out his name. His blood ran cold and hot all at once. He instinctively reached for his pistols but decided to play it off and keep walking.

“ Dax Kelly that you brother?” the voice said again.

Only members of the Iron Fists called eachother brother. He turned slowly to see who it could possibly be.
A stocky Orlock with a long beard and crew cut held out his arms in anticipation for a greeting, but the Stranger did not recognize him. His eyes were wide with excitement and he was obviously loaded and feeling good.
“ Dax brother, don’t you remember me? Its me Colt! Man, we thought you were dead! No one has seen ya in years!”

The Strangers hard line attitude faded into a smile.

“Colt? Holy Maccharius you got fat! Whats with the beard? You look like your in bad disguise!”

The two friends locked arms and laughed loudly.

“ What the hell are you doing here kiddo?” Colt asked.

“ Im home from the Guard, figured Some of y’all might be around causing some trouble. Who else is still around? He asked finally moving to small table to sit and drink, completely forgetting about the Sarge.

“ Well, Blazer’s still around, Hex, Logan, me and Dino. Everyone else….didn’t make it. Except Jasper, he died about a year ago scumming around Coffin Heights. The Guard huh? You some bigtime war hero kiddo?” he asked raising his beer in salute.

“ Saw a lot of wars, no medals though. Glad to be back home though.’ The Stranger said raising his beer as well.

They downed their beers and ordered another round.
They caught up on current events and drank to old memories and better times. The Stranger had not been this happy since he returned to Necromunda. Home at last in the company of Family.

They drank until last call, the band played one last song, one dedicated to the memory of a fallen hero, one Orlock who wouldn’t take no for answer and laid down for no one.
It was a good song and the end everyone in the bar raised their mugs, pints and bottles to salute the Orlock mentioned. The Stranger had no idea what was going on.Then all at once everyone said; “ To Jester!” and downed their drinks. The Stranger said nothing but Colt was starring right at him.
“ We all miss him Dax, not just the ‘Fists. Your bro became a legend mate. Almost like a saint for us downhive Orlocks. The Sarge was thinking of renaming that other shithole he owns down the block to Jesters, instead of whatever it’s called now….”

“ Is he still here?” The Stranger asked a little drunk.
“ The Sarge? Yeah he don’t leave till everyone else is gone. You wanna go talk with him? I don’t think he will remember you…but hell your Jester’s brother and an Orlock Iron Fists to boot!” Colt said smacking his friend on the shoulder.

They staggered over to the gambling den where Sarge held court while in Brasser’s. He was in good shape for being a seventy year old gangster. He had a good number of bionics though; an eye, hand, his whole left leg, right ear…
He sat drinking a bottle of wine with four other men he couldn’t make out in the dim and smokey room. They were playing red rose stud, one of Grimskulls favorite card games, ironically. Why the hell would a bunch of Orlocks play a Goliath card game?

“ Heyya Sarge, thought I might introduce my good old friend…”

“ Dax Kelly. I know, thank you Colt. Leave now.Please.” The Sarge said not bothering to even look up from his hand of cards.

The Stranger’s paranoia kicked in again and his palms began to sweat. He squinted to adjust his vision but it was too late, he knew he was in deep (&#$@!).

“ Boyo, your lucky I don’t skin ya right here!” Grimskull roared from the shadows as he rose up from the table.
“ I had a feeling you where you gonna swing by ol Brasser here, boy you sure are thick! You know Sarge, I keep telling this kid to stick with me and he’ll be ok, he’s got this thing about doing the right thing though, getting revenge and what not….Im on your side you knuckle ‘ead! Why you running from me? You didn’t even let Berserker pay ya! Boy, you can go anytime you like but at least play it straight with me, savvy?” Grim said shaking his head.

The Stranger was completely stupefied.

“ Well, best I tell you then. Them Delaques that tried splittin your wig are from some gang down in Bad Dust, call themselves the Shadows. Don’t know nothing about ‘em or why they want you dead. I sent your sweetheart Uphive for awhile for safekeeping. If you plan on staying alive I guess laying low here is a good idea kid. But you need anything you let me know through the Sarge. I gotta handle business back in Slagville, but I’ll be calling soon, still plenty of work to be done. You and I know you need the creds and I don’t give a ripperjacks ass what you do or who you kill on your own time. So, Ill see ya kid.” He said smiling and messing up his hair.

The Stranger didn’t know what to say, but Grim handed him a stack of creds anyways.
“ Where exactly is Nadine ,Grim?” He finally said.

“ House Ran Lo. Got a friend there. Don’t worry I’ll tell her where you are and all that sludge.” He said saluting the Sarge and exiting Brasser’s.

The Stranger sat down next to Sarge and exhaled.

“ So your Jesters brother huh? You kind of look like him. Well if you are your brothers keeper, I guess we can start by giving you all his holdings and personals. He would have wanted that.” Sarge said smiling.

The Stranger nodded and got up to leave. Colt was waiting for him outside.
“ Got a place to stay brother?” he asked.

“ Nope. You?” Thr Stanger nodded.

“ I usually crash at Mama Joes, but shes out tonight. Lets see if we can get Dino to open his door for us.”

They walked right down the center of the avenue, drunk beyond words.

http://www.krug666.blogspot.com

Buy my junk

http://www.ebay.com/sch/krug_tr6_138/m. ... pg=&_from=

Last edited by KRUG_666 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:18 pm 
DOWN HIVE MISFIT

I know the gang name BRASSERS was used in Status Deadzone, but before that came out, one of our players actually rana gang by the same name.
Im not trying to rip off anyone. So I guess sorry in advance.... :chaos

Buy my junk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:27 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Another interesting read... thank you for posting it to share.

Some thoughts came to mind...

1) Guardsmen rarely see their home worlds once deployed. And if they do, they are pretty much like "Sarge" when they get back. Old and used up. At least that's my understanding. That does not mean there are not at least some exceptions... and perhaps that is a part of your story as well.

2) The conversation when the "stranger" meets "Sarge"... well, it does not seem to flow right. My eyes got crosseed a few times trying to follow along. And even then I had to re-read it. It could just be me getting old. :borg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:08 pm 
DOWN HIVE MISFIT

Thanks s4G :)

Buy my junk