Login |  Register |  FAQ

New year and in search of more 2ed 40k info...

Post subject: New year and in search of more 2ed 40k info...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:54 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

I've completed my Arbites army based on the rules as presented in CJ 22 I believe and it is now only in need of final paint on everything and assembly of a few things...right around 3000 points total with a rhino and a bike squad. It's done OK on the battlefield...winning once and defeated twice since we've been using all their optional rules (taking models into custody and reinforcements). I will play it more this year and get those numbers up hopefully.

I was able to get my information about Citadel Journal #22 with the Sector 13 Arbites from members of this forum and I'm hoping to get some more information from some of you now....

My Eldar army has been quite large and powerful for a number of years. I've got nearly every model ever released for them in 2nd ed plus a lot of RT and a few of the new models, including an Armorcast Falcon and Tempest model (no titans though--way too expensive). I have lots of Harlequins too...but no Harlequin codex. I hate using the one in the Eldar codex...it is so very bland and not very potent. Does anyone have the rules from CJ 17(I think thats the issue that has the Harlequin army list for 2ed) that has the Harlequin codex in it?

I would take the information in digital form or even buy the magazine from you if you would be willing to part with it--I really want to finally finish my Harlequins and make them the army that they are supposed to be.

Thanks all...
:D

Post subject: Re: New year and in search of more 2ed 40k info...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:48 pm 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

It's IM #18 and I finally have it (or at least the Harlequin part of it). I sent you a PM a long time ago. Just drop me your E-Mail.

For once, his father did what Tyrion asked him. The proof was the sudden stench, as his bowels loosend in the moment of death. Well, he was in the right place for it, Tyrion thought. But the stink that filled the privy gave ample evidence, that the oft-repeated jape about his father was just another lie.
Lord Tywin Lannister did not, in the end, (&#$@!) gold.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:09 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

Thanks Lutscha...I dropped you a pm through here with my email on it so that you could send that info. I've gotten ahold of most of the old CJ's that have relevant 2ed info, but still cannot find that issue. It must be issue 17, because I've got 18-25 next to me right now and the rules aren't in those.

Currently I'm in the latter stages of a shortened campaign playing my Eldar against Tyranids and Blood Angels in alternating games. My flying Eldar army is decimating both of them. Last game featured the single largest winning score of any game we can remember--Eldar crushed Nids 32 to 9 in a 2000 point game.

Also, our group may be growing soon--2 of my roleplaying buddies are now interested in learning 2ed. We've got plenty of armies, so we will be teaching them soon with a big Ork vs. Guard/Arbites game.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:50 pm 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Its Inquisitor Magazine 18. There is also one in a CJ but afair it was nowhere near as well designed. I sent it to you after work.

For once, his father did what Tyrion asked him. The proof was the sudden stench, as his bowels loosend in the moment of death. Well, he was in the right place for it, Tyrion thought. But the stink that filled the privy gave ample evidence, that the oft-repeated jape about his father was just another lie.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:18 am 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

I haven't received a PM yet. O_o

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:57 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Theeere it is (translater in French, but Still more uisefull than Void ^^)

http://patatovitch.free.fr/trucs/v2_codex_arlequin.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:35 am 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

I have the English version. ;) I have not played with or against it, the list looks decent.

Thinks I do not like are all those cheap 3+ dodges, which are better than fields (you can dodge a Vortex e.g.). I also do not know, which psychic powers you can actually dodge. I would say only those with a S value (except Squish) for balance reasons + Vortex, but I would expect people to try to dodge Smite or Purge Psyker which is imo broken. Afair there is a WD dealing with dodging psychic powers but I don't have it.

I also don't like that the Solitaire can take Inquisition powers, at least he can't be level 4, which lets all eligible psykers with level 4 draw them before him.

An army consisting of not thaaat expensive troops which are -2 to -5 to hit can be tricky to deal with I suppose.

Finally the Runes of Fate give you 100% chance of success when throwing or dodging Vortex Grenades (you decide the reult of ONE d6 roll and then discard). You can of course use this for something else. ;)

Eletcro Hulls and (heavy) flamers are mandatory against Harlequins.

Have you played with or against it, Troll?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:52 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

My gaming group has now had ample opportunity to look over all the Harlequin rules and we all think that they are fantastic.

I've now restarted my Harlequin army and have begun the process of getting ahold of a few things that I will need, such as the minis to make the Avatar of the Laughing God. I will be playing with it rather soon to test it out...probably against Blood Angels or Tyranids since that's what my friends are currently playing. We do have pretty much all the armies now except for Dark Angels. Our former DA player disappeared into obscurity and unfortunately took all his minis with him. Oh well, no big loss though they fared pretty well against all the Eldar flyers.

As soon as I get a few things built and play-tested them a few times, I will do a write-up with photos of the game and show what the Harlequins can really do--the Eldar codex really made them a weak army, I'm so glad these new rules actually make them competitive again.

Some of the new stuff seems a little overpowerful initially, but then again, I thought the same things everytime a new codex came out back in the day...so I think that might mean they did it right. Only time will tell as I will be featuring a few of the Harlequins in the next campaign as allies. I've already clinched the win in the current campaign and the game for 2nd place is this coming weekend. We are using the same campaign rules we made up years ago and I think are posted around here somewhere. They really do work out well for long term, grinding campaigns...the last series of games usually has all armies fielding damaged units, characters and vehicles because they've been through so many battles.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:07 am 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

How do you want to handle dodging psychic powers?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:11 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

Lutscha wrote:
How do you want to handle dodging psychic powers?

We only allow assassins to dodge psychics if the the power has a strength value...we will likely handle Harlequin dodges the same way.

It's a very well thought out codex. Interesting that the same main 2 guys from the Harlequins Codex also wrote the Squat Codex which is another well written piece of work. To add to my already large pile of harlequins, I've gotten a squad of the newer harlequin models that were released a few years ago and will paint these up to be the Mime troupe and Master Mime. I'm also working on getting a C'tan Deceiver model so that I can eventually convert it over to the Avatar of the Laughing God.