Space Marine army list

Post subject: Space Marine army list
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:43 pm 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Repost of what I posted on wargamerau, my thought about Space Marines:

Space Marines

Pros: - highest strategy rating in the game
- always deploys last (barring Brilliant Strategy)
- reliable troops due to good BS and WS
- easy army selection
- good for new players
- strong leadership, difficult to break

Cons:- inflexible squad sizes
- expensive troops
- wasted points through preselected wargear (bolters for tactical/devastator squads, krak grenades for assault squads)
- no cheap troops to act as meat shields

Characters

Captain:

Decent character, best equipped for general purpose with a field (displacer or conversion) and something for mobility (jump pack or combat drugs) or a warp jump if using terminator armour. If going for terminator armour I generally suggest using lightning claws or thunder hammer and storm shield for HtH but you could also go for a plasma blaster with a HtH weapon. If possible, try to keep him below 201 pts. for victory point (VP) reasons. If you use a jump pack, you can go for a vortex or a haywire grenade. If you take Terminators, the terminator Captain is cheaper than the regular one using terminator armour. If you use ASM, he can take a jump pack and advance behind them. I would generally not put him on a bike, since that makes him very vulnerable, if you do that, go for a field (good after you dismount), a melta gun with an auxiliary grenade launcher (nice short range firepower) and something else. You could let him drive 30 inch, let him make a fast dismount, suffer a wound and throw a Vortex... As it puts him in danger, I would not have a problem with this.

Techmarine:

- if kept below 50 pts. to prevent a VP for killing him, gun (plasma gun) + extra armour piercing ammo
- put him on a bike to act as a screen for your vehicles, give him a bionic eye for spotting/detecting hidden troops, can be used as a vortex bomber this way...
- power sword + jump pack to advance with ASM (still below 50 pts.)

Apothecary: see Techmarine

Battle Standard Bearer:

As Techmparine, but can also stay behind own troops to prevent morale issues which seldom arise for SM.

Chaplain:

Imo generally not needed, depending on level, use him like a captain (hero/mighty hero) or as BSB/Techmarine.

Librarian:

I always take a Chief Librarian and sometimes a level 1 backup without any equipment (for extra power dice). Psychic hood is mandatory, otherwise equip him like your captain, but keep in mind which powers you want to use. You don't need something for mobility, if you are using Librarian powers, since Quickening and Teleport can take care of it. Adjust you power selection according to your opponent and especially your mission. Witch Hunt e.g. makes Inquisition powers very attractive as Purge Psyker is absolutely deadly. If you are facing Tyranids, you have to take an aegis suit against Psychic Scream and can either go for Inquisition powers or try to protect yourself with Librarian Powers. Don't underestimate Adeptus powers, they have great mobility options like Displacement which is imo superior to The Gate, and my beloved Assail, through which I have dragged countless vehicle crewmen from open topped vehicles. Can also be used to draw enemy characters into the open or push your own into cover. Hellfire can block LoS and do some damage.

Can be effective on bike like the Captain, but its rather risky. See captain for equipment.

You Librarian can do quite some heavy lifting, but he can also be out of warp cards when you need him the most or he gets dragged into the warp during the first psychic phase...

Veteran Sergeant:

For 5 pts. you get a veteran with LD 9 and a Wargear card option. No reason not to take him for all possible squads, although I don't understand why Terminators and veteran squads cannot take him (sorry guys, I to give back my combi-weapon). Especially good for scouts, which makes rad grenades a good area denial choice through infiltrating.

Squads

Tactical Squad:

Avoid it like the plague, horribly overpriced and useless compared to devastator squads UNLESS you use the optional rules for Tactical Squads (afair from CJ 25) which are:

Skirmish fire drill - allows hidden marines to fire and only become detected not spotted.

Suppressive fire drill - marines can shoot at hidden if visible in the current terrain from there last movement , and detected models, one shot as its only a speculative shot. They cannot move and shooting is made during the movement phase after charges but before models are moved and before enemy overwatch.

Fire Charge Drill - can fire 1 shot on the charge at -1 to hit, target must be one of the melee oppone ts if they manage to reach them.
Can also run and shoot bolt guns again at -1 to hit

Reflex fire drill - can shoot at midels charging yourself again at -1 like overwatch but otherwise counted as a normal shot

That makes them a flexible unit with a variety of options. With krak grenades they can do it all.

Devastator Squad:

Suffers like all 10-man squads from inflexible squad size and and wasted points on prepurchased bolters (12 pts. for heavy weapon guys) otherwise it gives you a rather decent amount of reliable firepower. Generally split them up and either give both 2 heavy weapons or use one squad with 4 and one without for acting as a screen or for being able to advance. I usually avoid missile launchers and multi-meltas on them. The former is imo not worth its points, the latter is awesome, but not so much on a stationary unit. Take heavy bolters for anti infantry and lascannons or heavy plasma guns for anti tank duties. Missile launchers can work, if you are not facing heavily armed tanks (e. Eldar who have 19 AV at best with reinforced armour) as the super krak is rather lackluster. If you take missile launchers, take plasma missiles, as they remain in play, block LOS and are distinctly better than frag missiles in most situations.

Assault Marines:

Decent if expensive HtH units. krak grenade is preselected which makes melta bombs a waste of points. They are still better at destroying vehicles at 2d6+d20+8 but krak grenades also hit at 2d6+d12+6 which is good enough. As I don't like the transport rules in 2nd, even if you allow charging from moving vehicles, which are moved in the charge phase then, transported models have a rather short life expectancy. Therefore I'd always take jump packs. For weapons chain sword + power sword or chain word + power fist are the most powerful option, although the former is rather cheesy and the latter is quite expensive. Just buying power swords is fine. I usually also buy blind grenades for cover but they are rather annoying to roll for any turn. Don't underestimate the power of krak grenades. Why charge a strong character when you could rather lob several krak grenades at him?

Scout Squad:

Decent for getting troops into a good spot even if its only done to prevent enemy infiltrators from getting it. I suggest a veteran sergeant for LD 9. A scanner can be a viable option for detecting targets. I would try to keep them below 201 pits for VP reason, which is easy if you are not taking a multi-melta and 4 Needle Sniper Rifles. Although having hidden Scouts with a Veteran Sergeant, a scanner and a multi-melta in a good spot is a viable tactic. Can also be used as a forward assault squad. Rad grenades can be a viable choice for a veteran sergeant.

Terminators:

Decent all around, but might not always be worth their cost whether its damage done or absorbed. Never bring them without the assault cannon. Done expect wonders in HtH. WS 5 sucks without a parry and only 1 attack dice. Terminators with lightning claws are the only one who are really good at HtH as they have 2 attacks and doubly parry. As I don't like them to merely stand around and look good I often choose to teleport them which costs me 540 pts. IIRC (4 storm bolters, 1 AC, 5 power fists). Bringing along 2 thunder hammers could help to absorb more shots and can be of use if the they are near vehicles or characters, although charging the latter might need the sacrifice of 1 or 2 terminators but it can be worth the trade.

Veteran Squad:

Hitting with rapid firing bolters at 2+ may sound nice, but unless you allow the buffs for tactical squads from CJ 25 as we do do not take them at all. See tactical squad otherwise.

Bike Squad:

If you are going to play offensive with vehicles, they are your damage sponge. Doubly so if you take expansive characters on bikes! Deploy in cover and accelerate to fast speed on turn 1 but don't block LOS for your hard hitting vehicles. Special weapons are not needed, only take them, if you have points after anything else is purchased. Always take 3 or 5, never 4, stay below 201 pts. (with 3) or below 301 pts. (5) for VP reasons. Quite expensive for a screen, but they are usually hit at -2.

Support

Dreadnought:

I like them, BS 6 + targeter and special rules for their weapons combined with good armour and a reasonable price makes them a viable choice. I generally suggest 2 arms with heavy weapons and no HtH weapons. AC is an autopick. While you could build yourself a Dreadnought with 2 ACs; I'd rather be taking something else with longer range and more punch. Heavy plasma gun, twin-lascannon and multi launcher (only if you buy plasma missiles, opponents permission might be needed as it needs Dark Millennium conversion rules) are all viable choices. The multi-meltas are awesome, but very expensive and the Dreadnought is not that fast. I always take an auto launcher with blind grenades and ablative armour.

Note, the multi launcher never worked, I always rolled a jam, when trying to fire plasma missiles...

Tarantula/Rapier laser destroyer:

If you have the spare points and need extra fire power, you can take them. Remember, that the Tarantula can fly 4 inches upwards, so deploy it out of sight.

Whirlwind:

Good artillery piece against infantry. Can fire at hidden troops (remember the rules for firing at detected models with templates) but has to follow choosing the target rules (next squad).

Land Raider:

Powerful and very heavily armoured tank with transport capability. Protect it if your are actually transporting something with a screen, otherwise it can also serve to protect other vehicles (reinforced and ablative armour is highly recommended as is a supercharged engine). Don`t go overboard with vehicle cards and bring it up to 301+ pts.... Ammo feed is recommended for its heavy bolter. Best used against heavily armed vehicles.

Predator:

Very cost efficient. My favorite version costs 150 pts. (twin-lascannon, 2 heavy bolters). Plenty of room for upgrades but ablative and auto launchers with blind grenades is generally sufficient. If protected by other vehicles, you don't need any cards at all. You get 3 such Predators for one devastator squad, still you need infantry...

Land Speeder:

The best thing in the entire space marine army list! Skimmers are just awesome, even more so, if they carry multi-meltas and have gunners with BS 4. My buddy has 3 of them, so unfortunately I can't take more than that and I definitely would in a 3k list!

I always let them start at slow speed, put them behind something that completely blocks LOS, take a supercharged engine and let them fly at 21+ inch for -2 to hit and then engage the toughest vehicle, preferably at short range for 2+ to hit. If it survives, subsequent turns can be rather tricky, as it can only turn once or twice if you decelerate, which causes problems, if you want to get something in front of your multi-meltas rather limited arc.

Vital for an offensive in your face play style which I prefer. My last SM list had 2 of them, 2* 3-man bike squadrons, 2 attack trikes and several characters on a bike, that was a great list, stupid multi-meltas failed to destroy Tau tanks on the first turn though...

Repeat, the best thing in your arsenal.

Space Marine Attack Bike:

It has been changed in a WD (I only have the German one), which allows a heavy bolter and special weapons for the crew. Remember, its a bike and can go to fast speed at once! That makes the multi-melta the logical choice. not as nimble as a land speeder but its cheaper and it can protect your vehicles while advancing, as its gunner can go on overwatch which the driver operating the multi-melta on a land speeder cannot. When I go all in with land speeders and bikes, it drives in the middle between the bike screen and the land speeder, all advancing in a staggered line.

Rhino:

As I am rather prejudiced against transporting anything, they only get to serve as cheap damage sponges with the usual vehicle cards... (keep it below 101 pts.)

Razorback:

Never used, never seen it used, I'd rather take a Predator, and don't transport anything.

For once, his father did what Tyrion asked him. The proof was the sudden stench, as his bowels loosend in the moment of death. Well, he was in the right place for it, Tyrion thought. But the stink that filled the privy gave ample evidence, that the oft-repeated jape about his father was just another lie.
Lord Tywin Lannister did not, in the end, (&#$@!) gold.

Post subject: Re: Space Marine army list
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:54 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Insightful review. However, according to the Dreadnought datafax the Dreadnought does not have targeters for its weapons. Is there an errata that I missed?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:40 am 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Syzyx wrote:
Insightful review. However, according to the Dreadnought datafax the Dreadnought does not have targeters for its weapons. Is there an errata that I missed?

No, and the Datafax does not mention a targeter (never realized it), its written in the wargear list (Ultramarines and Angels codex) that all Dreadnought weapons have targeters. RAW Spave Wolves Dreadnoughts would not have any targeters but thats clearly an oversight, the extra entry for Dreadnought weapons in the wargear list did not exist at that time.

For once, his father did what Tyrion asked him. The proof was the sudden stench, as his bowels loosend in the moment of death. Well, he was in the right place for it, Tyrion thought. But the stink that filled the privy gave ample evidence, that the oft-repeated jape about his father was just another lie.
Lord Tywin Lannister did not, in the end, (&#$@!) gold.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:40 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Thanks for the clarification. I will have to point this out to my crew.