Login |  Register |  FAQ

Oh no, more eBay. This time: Da Orkses...

Post subject: Oh no, more eBay. This time: Da Orkses...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:30 am 
Recruit
Recruit

A few nights ago I was (again) whiling away some time on eBay. There was nothing really that interested me for the price apart from a box of 2nd edition Ork Boarboyz going for pennies. This got me thinking.

I've always had a soft spot for the green skins, and like many second edition players I already had the foundation of an Ork army - the 20 boyz and 40 Grots from the box. I'd also previously invested in some other Orky odds and ends - a proper dreadnought to replace the card one from the box, a Mekaniak with a Shokk Attack Gun for comedy value, a blister-worth of Blood Axe Kommandos because they were new at the time and Ghazgull and Makarai to lead the lot. I also had the contents of the first blister I ever bought: a Bad Doc with a Cybork body, a solitary freebooter boy with no mob and a Khorne Stormboy (remember them?). This was by no means a coherent army, but at the time pocket money only stretched so far, and the lure of GW's shiny new Blood Angels and Valhallans was too strong, so the Waaaagh sort of petered out before it really started.

Now, however, things are different. With 8,000ish points of Imperial forces (and allied Squats - thanks again eBay) perhaps it was time to swell the ranks a bit, and the Boarboyz would be a nice, characterful addition to a warband that was a bit too Goff-y. Having made the decision to invest in my Orks, I ran another couple of searches for "Ork Classic" and "Ork 1990s" and started to plot heavily. For starters, I found some psychic support - a Weirdboy with two minders, plus bases and a variety of arms and weapons for a reasonable buy it now price. I'm allowed a 'free' Weirdboy by the codex (a second would require a mob of Bad Moons) so I nabbed them. Then the serious investment started.

One of the big attractions for me was the Kult of Speed, and the same store that sold the Weirdboy had two warbuggy and two wartrak kits with a variety of weaponry so I have a bit of wiggle room for armament. To add a bit of flavour they also had a plasma-wielding Nob on a warbike 'tandem' for sale. Probably not the most effective on the battlefield, but appealed to me fluff-wise - rather than an assortment of vehicles, I could claim to have an Evil Sunz nob leading his mob into battle on their buggies and traks. They went in the basket.

Finally, if I counted these guys as an Evil Sunz mob (not strictly according to the codex as the mob can only ride bikes, but I'm sure no-one would argue) it would allow me to take another Mekboy. Or, more specifically, the Mekboy with the Kustom Blasta from the same shop. In the basket he went too. Seven lots all told, and I'm well on the way to a semi-respectable warband with a bit of character, and all at a price which wasn't TOO extortionate.

Now the fun part - the shopping list. Firstly, obviously, the lot that sparked all this off. I need to keep my eye out but I think I can pick four Boarboyz up for a reasonable amount. Then I need to go back and fill in the gaps in the squads I have, so a minimum of two extra Blood Axe Kommandos and a Boarboy to make a serviceable five of each. To strengthen what I've already got I want to see if I can find a nob or boss for each mob as a bit of muscle (apart from the Evil Sunz, they're covered), so that's two Goffs, a boarboy and a Kommando, although the Kommandos already have a passable nob-like figure so I might just find another boy. I need to find a Runtherd for the Shokk Attack Gun (I'd previously used the freebooter as a 'counts-as', much like the Khorne Stormboy and two Goffs were a Weirdboy and minders) and a few more snotling bases - I have one, but that doesn't get you very far.

After that the world's my oyster. I've only got a few clans represented, and as it stands the mob's not very shooty, so I might try and pull together some Deathskulls with Kustom Kombi weapons to add a bit of punch, and maybe see if there's any field artillery about.

At the moment everything's in the post, but when it's arrived and I've had a chance to get the glue out I'll post up a few updates.

and go racin' in the street

Post subject: Re: Oh no, more eBay. This time: Da Orkses...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:45 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Good stuff mate!

I am keen to see how this second edition Orkney army progresses!

I really love the second edition Ork sculpts so this should be a real treat.

I have a few of the second edition plastics that came with the box set that I keep meanin to paint up so perhaps your efforts will provide some inspiration.

Do you have a blog or will it all be on here?

My Retro 40k blog can be found at the link above - Enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:53 am 
Recruit
Recruit

I didn't have a blog, however based on your comments I'm in the process of setting one up. When there's something worth reading I'll post up the link so you can have a mosey around. In the meantime, some brief updates.

I won the boarboys for about £16, which I didn't think was bad, and added a nob for a further tenner. I also found someone on eBay offloading a load of metal Orky heavy and kustom weapons, so I grabbed those while they were available - eight guns in total, just for when I need them or when I get round to the Deathskulls. I've found a lot of miscellaneous boyz available through various eBay shops and it's been a real struggle not to go mad and buy the lot right now because I NEED THEM AND SOMEONE ELSE MIGHT BUY THEM but I'm being good at the moment.

I also noticed when the weirdboy arrived that one of his minders was actually a Deathskull body, which, given I now had a supply of big guns, was a shame to waste. He's now been demoted from "making sure da nutter don't run off" to "standing on da hill wiv da autocannon". I'm really impressed with him as a mini, and of course, one Deathskull with a big gun means I need at least four more. Plus a replacement minder to stop the weirdboy legging it.

As regards shopping list I had another idea when browsing the codex for ideas. I liked the image and effect of a Steel Skull - +1 toughness, but behaves like a Madboy - but it didn't really fit with the rest of the army. Having a Mek or Runtherd who was almost certain to wander off and do his own thing at some point didn't sit well with me, and having a nob who'd run off from his mob at any time seemed a bit self defeating. Then I noticed that a bigboss was an independent character, as well as being nice and hard and offering a nice fluffy story. If I matched him up (clan-wise) with one of the other mobs, I could claim he was the boss of his own waaagh but "ee's not been right since he got shot in da head by da beakies / eaten by da bugs / stood on by da dread" so the boyz have joined up with my main warboss and bought him along for the ride. I'd buy him a steel skull, load him up with nasty wargear (mega-armour, a squig attack power claw, something short range and shooty) point him vaguely towards the enemy and see what happens. He might spend the battle cowering in the bushes, or he might cut a flaming hole through whatever's in his way. Either way, I think it's a pretty Orky plan if ever there was one.

All this means the 'must buy' shopping list is now:
A Runtherd for the Shokk Attack Krew
One Snakebite boarboy
One minder for the weirdboy
Two Blood Axe Kommandos
Four Deathskulls

And the current 'want list':
Another Runtherd for spare
1-4 Goff nobs
Another Kommando, or suitable nob
Deathskull nob
Plain / Deathskull / Snakebite boss
Anything else I like the look of.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:59 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Some quick photos. Da Mek, wiv da gun 'e made 'imself:

Da nutter, wiv one of 'is minderz:

And da sneaky Deafskull, wiv da big autocannon:

Next in the making queue: snakebites on dem stinkin' boarz…

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:27 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

It's been a while (sorry, life gets in the way) and I've not had a chance to do much modelling, but I've made a few other purchases to round out some of the mobs and fill a few character holes.

Firstly I've secured another three Blood Axe Kommandos which brings the mob to a table-legal six (or five with a nob if I choose). I've sourced a Deathskull Loota with a Kustom Kombi weapon and two more miscellaneous boys who will be fitted out with heavy weapons which takes the Deathskull mob over their minimum size (which according to the codex is three, which surprised me), and a Runtherd to be part of the Shokk Attack Gun team. Somewhere in the post I've got a minder for the Weirdboy who's currently down one, and a variety box including a Splatta Kannon with no crew, three random boyz (one with a plastic heavy plasma gun) and a Nob who, according to the blue catalogue, is a Bad Moon. Not ideal, but not the worst.

All this means that my 'must buy' list is pretty short to make use of everything I've got. I'll need a crew for the Splatta Kannon and I'm still short one Boarboy to bring me up to the minimum. I can roll the three boyz in the post into a small Bad Moon mob with the addition of another couple of boyz. That would give me a token number of each of the clans, which is interesting but not something I particularly wanted when I started because I didn't want to be forced into tick-box 'five of everything' type army, but it's nice to have options I suppose.

What I've decided I DO want to do, though, is follow a couple of nice 'fluffy' RT rules that were dropped for 2nd Ed; namely the Boss's retinue and Big Mob. In RT your Warboss was obligated to take a minimum of five nobz as a personal bodyguard, which I like the idea of from a protection point of view if nothing else, and he was also obligated to bring the Big Mob with him - a single mob from his clan which needs to be a minimum of twice the size of any other mob in the army. I'm using the Ghazgkull miniature as my Warboss, which means I need a mob of at least 18 Goffs to double my 9 Evil Sunz. Luckily this is not a problem with the box plastics, so I'll keep them all together an flood the table with black and red!

This brings me onto the fun part; the updated shopping list. Firstly, Must Buys:
2x Gretchin artillery crew
1x Boarboy
2x Bad Moons

Now onto the fun stuff, the Want To Buys:
Minimum 5 Goff Nobz for the warboss's retinue, plus up to two for the big mob
Deathskull nob for the heavy weapon mob
More field artillery - most Squig Katapults I've seen on eBay come with the full compliment of grots (3, even though it only needs 2) AND the Runtherd with the whip, who I'm allowed to take thanks to my Boarboyz
Anything else that takes my eye!

I might be able to sneak an hour or two with the glue soon so there might be more updated on the way. Next up: still the stinkin' boars…