Login |  Register |  FAQ

GorkaMorka/Ash wastes: thoughts please?

Post subject: GorkaMorka/Ash wastes: thoughts please?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:47 am 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

So, i've resolved NOT to buy anything else until I've painted my sizeable backlog of models: 3 gangs, a fair number of IG, squad of SM, a bunch of random fantasy miniatures aaaaand a GM Mob. After which, i want to get some Ork Vehicles.

Now i liked GM, but it was a badly badly flawed game, and its never going to get rereleased. Shooting was pointless: Orks are T4, and immune to pinning, and most guns were S3 and woefully innacurate. Vehicles were quite tough, but almost incapable of hurting Orks on foot (rams were IIRC S3). They were also badly priced. All of which meant that the easiest way to win was to buy one big trak (you had to have transport for your whole gang, but vehicles were the same price whatever size.) and as many Orks with Choppas as you could afford and "zerging" the enemy. And there weren't really many scenarios where smaller gangs got to even the odds.

Now ash wastes on the other hand, that is apparently going to be rereleased. So what needs doing to ash wastes and GM to make a decent ork based setting? A better, much more entertaining GM where Vehicles are a viable option, and swarming the enemy isn't the only way to win? Because Orks are not nearly as compelling as Necromundan gangers, the Vehicles need to be the stars of the show is what I reckon.

For starters the S of most of the GM pistols and basic weapons need to go up a point. And there needs to be a new system of vehicle pricing and options (like the Ash wastes one), so a two man buggy costs less than a trak big enough for a whole gang. And vehicles have to be able to actually hurt Models on foot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:02 am 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

well, i've slagged the bad aspects of the game, i might get a bit more interest if i describe its cooler points:

Razzing round the desert with orks on bikes and buggies. It is more fun than a weekend with batman. because they're ork vehicles, you can really go nuts with conversions, big gunz and suitable paintjobs. And because its the desert you don't need much scenery (a few rocks and hills and stuff).

Customising your gunz and vehicles. As well as getting exp, skills and advances for your boyz, you could take your equipment to the mekaniks to get them upgraded. Gunz could be made longer range, higher strength or more sus. fire, Vehicles could be made faster, better armoured or better handling
After the first upgrade, you started losing other stats (so if you got a gun made higher strength twice for example, you'd start losing range or ammo or summat) which meant you could make totally unique weapons and vehicles. There were also rules for the meks screwing the job up completley, or doing the wrong one, which made it risky, but interesting.

There was also a sort of system for curing SI, but that was even riskier than going to the meks, and a bit of a WYSIWYG nightmare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:16 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Yeah it was a great fun game to play just very broken. Increasing the firearms strength and making running someone over have a good chance of actually killing them (S5 if the vehicle is using its gas engines and S7 if boosting).

I think the currency system needs an over haul too, there is not really the scope for detail if a boy is 5 teef (or whatever it was).

Was a fun game if you had a gentleman's agreement for your play style. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:23 am 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

it was necromunda divided by 10. you lose a lot of flexibility by doing that its true. But then saying you start with 1000 teef (teeth) seems wrong. The best solution i can think of is having half teeth: most prices in necromunda are multiples of 5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:23 am 
Enforcer

Biggest problem I've found so far is the modelling aspect. You have to have enough vehicles to carry all your mob and every vehicle needs a Spanner to maintain it. So most vehicles (apart from bikes) only let you carry 1 other Ork. Bikes allow you to carry 2.

Even the War Truck struggles to carry more than 4 and that's the mini with the largest physical capacity. So just about every other Ork in your gang is a Spanner.

I spend a lot of time shipping Orks off for bionic legs, and hoping I roll Tracks or Gyrowheel as then I don't have to put them on a vehicle.

I do like the very generic guns in the game, so there's less need for a giant pile of minis. Except where bionics are concerned. But even that isn't too bad with the Ork plastics and mail order metal parts. This also means that there are very few redundant weapons in the game, on the whole the balance of GM is better than Necromunda.

Which brings me to the rules, they're a lot clearer than Necromunda's. The game might be simpler and thus not so robust for long term campaigns, but that very simplicity is a huge boon. Especially when coupled with such elegant vehicle rules.

And I don't mind the ST3 vs T4 aspect of the game, that's part of the entertainment. But I do agree that the Orks vehicles don't hit hard enough when you run people down and there should be a few more ST4 weapons available. So players have the option of going with well equipped elites who are more likely to injure when they hit, less skilled grunts with rubbish guns or even a mix.

Edit: Oh I don't have Digga Nobz, so a decent selection of different Mob types in the core books would have been nice. That's part of the appeal when it comes to Necromunda, in truth there's very little difference between each gang (Just the skill categories really). But the fluff and minis makes it feel like there is a lot more of a gap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:42 am 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

I personally think the S3vT4 was a big problem. Go through tthe shooting phase: roll to hit, well, with an ork gun you probably miss. Even if you do hit you've probably only got S3 and a 1/3 chance of wounding. And when you've failed to wound, you've not even pinned the enemy. And you payed 2 teef (20 credits) for that gun. Should've bought a pair of choppas instead...

But you are right: the weapon rules were better balanced thean necro, eg. if you wanted a parry, you had to buy a shield, thereby losing an attack in HtH. But IMO thats because most of the weapons were useless.

Take the shoota and Kannon: they really do not match up to the fluff. Give the shoota S4 and it has the same odds of wounding as an autogun in necromunda. Give the Kannon S5 (and the option of S4 skatter shot as well p'rhaps?) and it has the same odds of wounding as a bolter. But the ranges on both are shorter: which would stop shooting becoming too dominant, and no one wants that (it is a desert after all)

As for vehicle transport: if you use the Ash Wastes vehicle creation, you get better variety and more accurate costing, and you have a set value to how many boyz you can carry, irrespective of the number of orks you can stack on the back. I'm going to looki into converting the table later...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:05 pm 
Enforcer

We tend to mow the each others Orks down with the vehicle mounted weaponry. That stuff is either twin-linked or S4+ (Well D6+2 for the Harpoon but still.)

Otherwise, there's quite a few Orks with 2H Weapons that are fearsome in HtH, the Clubs/Choppas are S+1, also we pack Kannons and even Crossbows in reasonable quantity. It's good to have a crossbow as a back up weapon if you don't intend to move that turn.

I guess what I'm saying is, with the weaponry we tend to use, we don't really notice the S vs T problem. Only Pistols, Shootas, Blunderbusses, Spears and Knives are S3. Everything else is S4+, so that's what we use unless we're trying to save teeth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:34 pm 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

the Big Gunz are fine. Not suggesting changing those. But the shoota, blunderbuss and pistols are pretty much useless ATM and the Kannon really does not live up to it's 3 toof pricetag. This would give boyz with pistols/guns are reasonable chance of wounding their opponents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:38 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Ah, GorkaMorka, it was a great game. The opportunities for converting were endless - I ended up with the most enormous multi-story trak carrying all my boyz around the desert. Yeah, so you never wounded anyone, but the fun part was watching a vehicle careen out of control, drive head first into the fort and explode. So fun.
Pity I only knew one other player. It gets kind of boring when you keep playing the same person.
I'll be selling all my old stuff on ebay (including a copying of 'Skavanob' - the Digganob explansion book in Italian) soon if anyone's interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:12 pm 
DOWN HIVE MISFIT

I just mix and match the rules for Necro and GM to make it fun and interesting, whatever flows you know?

But GorkaMorka was one of the funnest games ever, along with Blood Bowl, you can actually booze it up while your playing without getting all that technical as you would in 40k... 8) more about laughs than strategy 8-)

http://www.krug666.blogspot.com

Buy my junk

http://www.ebay.com/sch/krug_tr6_138/m. ... pg=&_from=