Login |  Register |  FAQ

Tyranid Attack

Post subject: Tyranid Attack
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:46 pm 
Cadet
Cadet

Anyone else remember this game (Tyranid Attack), or am I the only one who was able to find an old dusty copy of this artifact years and years ago upon my game store's shelf?

Also, this game was kind of awesome. I loved the Hive pieces, and walking around inside a Tyranid Hive freeing hostage Marines from their cocooned imprisonment was pretty sweet.

But more importantly, for a starting Tyranid player, between this and Space Hulk you had all the Genestealers and plastic Tyranid Warriors you could ever possibly need. Plus two plastic Genestealer Hybrids that still give me the creeps when I look at their scary heads. Haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:52 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Wasnt it based sort of, off the Space Hulk rules ? I always wanted to play it, but never had a chance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:38 am 
Cadet
Cadet

A little bit, at least in as much as the board was 6 large square pieces with lots of little squares on them, but instead of Space Hulk corridors it was a Tyranid Hive.

The Marines had two squads of Scouts and one squad of Terminators plus a Terminator Librarian I believe.

The Tyranids got randomly generated stuff in the form of Tyranid Warriors, Genestealers, and Hybrids.

The board had a ton of random little cardboard pieces, like Cysts for Warriors to crawl through, Hive organs, etc.

It was similiar to Space Hulk in that it was Marines vs Tyranids on a game board where the mariens tried to complete missions against randomly generating Tyranids. But other than that, it was pretty substantially different as far as game play goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:16 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I still have my plastic Scouts, and they are still the best Scouts ever made.

- Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:25 am 
Cadet
Cadet

Codex wrote:
I still have my plastic Scouts, and they are still the best Scouts ever made.

- Chris

I agree, and I especially liked the plastic Terminator Librarian with the huge force axe, that model looked great. However, I think the subsequent plastic Space Hulk terminators completely dominated the plastic Tyranid Attack terminators.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:23 am 
Cadet
Cadet

could anyone give a sort of rundown of how it played? was it a move and do something else game or a semi-action system like Advanced Space Crusade? i'm assuming it used d6s rather the ASC's d12s?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:09 pm 
Private
Private

never even heard of it well i suppose since i'm only 15.

Little bit of C4 knocking at your door! :guns02

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:03 am 
Cadet
Cadet

Gromash wrote:
could anyone give a sort of rundown of how it played? was it a move and do something else game or a semi-action system like Advanced Space Crusade? i'm assuming it used d6s rather the ASC's d12s?
*cough* anyone.. anyone at all? :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:15 am 
The Despoiler

There are objectives for the scout boarding party and 6 large board sections that roll around as you explore. You have to kill 3 vital organs to kill the tyranid ship. Every time you enter a new section you draw a card that can be anything from finding a Combi-Weapon to falling to your death.

Each figure has a movement and can move that many squares in any direction. You can either attack then move or move then attack. There is Close Combat and shooting. The rules are very stream lined yet have aspects of 40K, such as all the ranges are straight out of 2nd ed.

Hand to Hand is both players roll attack dice and the highest wins and kills his opponet. Genestealers roll 3, Terminators only roll 1.

It doesn't sound like much, but it is pretty fun. I even made up extra units for the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:32 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

I don't know what you guys are talking about those where the worst plastic mini's to come from any game made by GW. The termi's looked like those waddling things in the beginning of "The Fifth Element" And the tyranids....gah...I think I puked a little in my mouth.

I will give you though that hybrids did look pretty cool and were worthy of conversion.

However the game was way cool, and could you imagine using the board for some weird Necromunda scenario?

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:40 pm 
Mature, well groomed miniature enthusiast

All those boxed sets, including Hero Quest, were great fun!

Mrs. Dr. Remulack wrote:
It is not no wonder that USA children are so, forgive me here, fcuked up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:00 pm 
The Despoiler

lol,I still use those minatures!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:09 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

McCragge wrote:
However the game was way cool, and could you imagine using the board for some weird Necromunda scenario?

Well I have never played Tyranid Attack (it ws an expansion for Space Hulk right?), so I have never seen or used the board pieces. But I have played Necromunda using the Space Hulk board sections. It makes for an interesting alternative to normal play fighting it out in the tunnel sections. One of the best Necromunda games I ever played combined both a standard Necromunda board with a Space Hulk board. There were a few tunnel entrances on the actual Necromunda board, which corresponded to entrances on the Space Hulk map. It made for a really interesting game, as we played the bottle rolls separately for each section, since the tunnels are fairly cut off from the rest of the board. Unfortunately I don't own the Space Hulk set myself :sad:, and it also took quite a while to set up and play out, as well as a fair bit of space. But I recommend it to anyone looking for something new and interesting to try for Necromunda, if you get the chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:51 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Tyranid Attack *was* Advanced Space Crusade. When GW's contract with Milton Bradley was up, GW re-released ASC as Tyranid Attack, and Advanced HeroQuest as "Mighty Heroes". They printed a new box and rulebook (to get rid of the Milton Bradley references), but it's the same game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:16 pm 
The Despoiler

That's not wholely correct. The game is clearly based on Advanced Space Crusade but it's a totally different game. For one thing the board sections didn't have squares on them in ASC (EDIT: Actully they do sorry) and the minatures included were not the same. There were more templates also.The rules were different, thus two different games.