Login |  Register |  FAQ

Space Hulk

Post subject: Space Hulk
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:27 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

This is a message I will post a couple of times in this section for each game because I think that its best that each game is discussed in its own topic.

What experiences have you had with SPACE HULK. The reason I ask is that games like this seem like they have a very limited fan base and so have appeared and then disappeared like a flash, or were top sellers in their day but have now dwindled to the point of non existence.

I would like to pick this game up (or another I have posted about) and so would like to get a general idea about how it plays, what size of game do you think work best? or can it be linked in some way back to Warhammer 40,000 and so used in a campaign?

Any other general thoughts or comments are more than welcome.

“Take a squiz at dis beauti! is got both front an bak weehilz, handle barz with both your left and rite turnin funksion, all da rage dezz dayz! and ta kap it all off a bran noo red paint job, kurtacy of da stoopid beeky who gotz himself caught in da front wheel dat last battil!…so let me fix ya up with da dok so ya can take a squiz at our payment planz”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:13 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

Well it is an easy game to learn but a hard one to master I think.

The problem is that the Marines get overwhelmed with bugs. And they simplified the rules a bit to make combat a bit easier in that kind of setting. But over all, I had a tough time surviving let alone finishing any objectives.

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:55 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I may have played or witnessed the board game being played a couple of times, it would have been a long time ago.

I can't remember who it was, so i'll give credit to Olbivion, someone made a current computer game version, avaliable at http://sourceforge.net/projects/hulk/

Its single player only, and it's a true conversion of the 2nd edition SH board game rules.

I play it from time to time, it's still quite entertaining.

There are still problems with it, simply because it's a conversion of the board game, for example Terminators can't strafe, it costs 1 point to walk forward and 2 to walk back.

I agree with JMC, there are some seriously hard missions, terminators are generaly bad shots, weapons jam way to frequently and genestealers are everywhere!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:10 am 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

I've only played first edition right when it came out.

I think the game is a great concept and really fun. Sure it is a rip-off and 40K remake of the second Aliens movie, but they did a good job. In the original rules the marine player was actually timed. You only had two minutes to move all your men or else your turn ended. Ouch! That made for some dynamic tension. I've never seen another game that made the play act as tense and error prone as the colonial marines being swarmed by aliens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:10 am 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

I downloaded the game and played it. I'm not any better now than I was when I first tried it. The marine play has got to have his wits about him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:55 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

In the 2nd version of Space Hulk, didn't Terminator armour not actually do anything?
1 hit and you're dead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:30 am 
Iconoclast

game was fast paced corridor shooter. i owned the basic box for years and used to play a lot. there was one mission i never accomplished (the one with some robot that must be transported to the opposite end of the map.)

there are hulk fanatics out there with tons of rules like including necrons and tau.

btw have you seen 'doom board game? kind of spacehulk, only you respawn after getting fragged.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:12 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Third edition of space hulk is one of the tightest strategy games I've played. i love it *hard* and it's woefully underrated. Get it if you possibly can.

- Chris

Post subject: if
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:26 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

you care the (1st ed) space hulk rules and board sections and counters and (&#$@!) can be downloaded here
http://spacehulk.barsoom.cc/

Post subject: oh and look
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:35 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

the 2nd ed (&#$@!) too
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2163

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 am 
Private
Private

I'd love to play one day. :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:28 pm 
Mature, well groomed miniature enthusiast

Played the first edition... still have the Terminator models from it! ('traded the 'stealers away with the rest of my 'nid army, but...)

Space Hulk was awweessoommee... It was HARD, and whenever one side made a mistake, it was all over...

The genestealer "Blips" with 0, 1, 2, or 3 'stealers was an INGENIOUS way of keeping the game fun & different every time...

...never have Genestealers been so deadly and so hard to kill as in Space Hulk!!!

Mrs. Dr. Remulack wrote:
It is not no wonder that USA children are so, forgive me here, fcuked up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:53 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Third Edition????

I thought they only had two editions of Space Hulk, and the first edition had two or three expansion packs.

As far as Terminator armor not doing anything, they simplified the rules so that any hit inflicted was assumed to be a penetrating hit, so one could imagine countless other blows that bounced off the heavy armor. Since GW never released rules for marines in power armor for space hulk, there's really nothing to compare it to. (RFT subsequently pointed out that GW did release rules for power armor--see his post below. Just goes to show that just because you [or me, in this case] haven't seen something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist)

I beleive there was a Space Hulk Necrons site that had either all the 2nd Ed counters, corridors, and rooms, or a link to a site that did have them. They downloaded as .pdf files

Last edited by Adoni-Zedek on Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:25 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

My bad, I meant second (it's Blood Bowl that's got a perfect third edition).

- Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:26 am 
Recruit
Recruit

Adoni-Zedek wrote:
Third Edition????

I thought they only had two editions of Space Hulk, and the first edition had two or three expansion packs.

As far as Terminator armor not doing anything, they simplified the rules so that any hit inflicted was assumed to be a penetrating hit, so one could imagine countless other blows that bounced off the heavy armor. Since GW never released rules for marines in power armor for space hulk, there's really nothing to compare it to.

Yes they did- it was in an issue of White Dwarf that appeared post-deathwing and pre-genestealer, I think (must be as the rules didn;t seem to involve them getting shot at, so no hybrids). this is from memory, so I may get a few details wrong.

Power armoured marines had 4APs same as a termie, but paid the genestealer rules for movement, so they could sidestep, turn 90 degrees for free and 180 for 1AP. Unless they were carrying a missile launcher, in which case they paid the termie cost.

standard squad was 1 sergeant, 7 marines with boltguns, krak and frag grenades, 1 marine with flamer and krak and frag grenades, 1 marine with missile launcher and krak and frag grenades

Missile Launchers had Krak and Frag Missiles. Krak Missile killed a genestealer on a 3, I think. Frag Missiles were area-effect like a heavy flamer, killed a genestealer on a 5, but instantaneous.

normal flamers were exactly as the space hulk heavy flamer, only less powerful (kill on 4, not 2)

Krak and Frag grenades were exactly as the missles, but subject to a 12 square range.

In close assault they rolled 1D6 subject to a -1 modifier, apart from the sarge who rolled unmodified.

Marines could set "terminus", where they would carry a frag granade in the palm of thier hand, primed, that would go off if they were killed. it would kill the attack stealer autmatically, then be resolved as a normal frag grenade hit.